Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Comment

• Ham laying it out for everyone...good for him!

Comment

• That Ham video is AI.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          That Ham video is AI.
          lol. I thought that was obvious, but I guess this stuff is getting way too realistic. Scary, actually.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Didn't Stevens teams do poorly in the playoffs every year?

Beyond that, no way he leaves his cush GM gig in Boston for a coaching role where they fire the coach every year. Not to mention when Lebron retires LA is pretty screwed. Is there another superstar like Lebron that really wants to be a Laker?
            He sort of turned things around in Boston and was there before Tatum and Brown started to turn into stars so can't really say. I think he's definitely a tier above guys like Ham, McMillan, Monty or Doc. I'd place him higher than the Bud tier as well and probably the same as guys like Nurse, Snyder and Spo.
            ??????
            He has it good which is why I was trying to imply of Lakers made him a huge offer then maybe they could get him to come back to coaching.

Comment

• Like I said, this guy is a clout chaser. Dude talks like he's an all time great but reality is he's nothing more than a borderline all star caliber player.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

He sort of turned things around in Boston and was there before Tatum and Brown started to turn into stars so can't really say. I think he's definitely a tier above guys like Ham, McMillan, Monty or Doc. I'd place him higher than the Bud tier as well and probably the same as guys like Nurse, Snyder and Spo.
                ??????
                He has it good which is why I was trying to imply of Lakers made him a huge offer then maybe they could get him to come back to coaching.
                Nurse should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Spo. Nurse is in the tier with Ty Lue, Vogel & Snyder, maybe. Bud and Stevens are above that tier.
                Last edited by golden; Sat May 4, 2024, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Nurse should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Spo. Nurse is in the tier with Ty Lue, Vogel & Snyder, maybe. Bud and Stevens are above that tier.
                  Time will tell, but I'm not as down on Nurse as you. I mean Philly was obviously after him for a while the way he departed from Toronto and I think his reputation around the league is that of a difference maker for a team with a complete roster. Philly has come cap space to make some moves this summer and if they can drop some of the dead weight on the roster and keep Embid healthy they could be a serious contender next season.

Spo is a more complete coach for sure. He's a guy you can bring in for a rebuilding team or a contending team. He'll develop as well as strategize whereas Nurse is only interested in the latter.

Comment

Time will tell, but I'm not as down on Nurse as you.
                    On the "Down on Nurse" scale, golden is at least 99th percentile. And nothing we say will change his opinion.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Time will tell, but I'm not as down on Nurse as you. I mean Philly was obviously after him for a while the way he departed from Toronto and I think his reputation around the league is that of a difference maker for a team with a complete roster. Philly has come cap space to make some moves this summer and if they can drop some of the dead weight on the roster and keep Embid healthy they could be a serious contender next season.

Spo is a more complete coach for sure. He's a guy you can bring in for a rebuilding team or a contending team. He'll develop as well as strategize whereas Nurse is only interested in the latter.
                      I’m not down on Nurse at all. My point all along is that he’s not some genius, elite difference making coach that many will tell you. He’s…. ok.

Sure, if Morey gives him a stacked team, then he’ll get out of the first round. Well, duh. The time to show your coaching chops are when you’re at a talent deficit, like Thibs has done all year.

Comment

Please explain why you rate Stevens so highly as a coach.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Please explain why you rate Stevens so highly as a coach.
                          Stevens made back-to-back trips to ECF very early in his career. The first one was with: Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder & Avery Bradley starting a ton of minutes in the playoffs. That's trash talent. Heck, to top it off, they started washed Amir Johnson 77 games in that same regular season and somehow won 53 games. Yuck. And then Stevens made the ECF again the next season with Tatum as a rookie. Kyrie got hurt and missed the playoffs entirely. But no excuses... they still made it all the way to the ECF. Obviously, losing only to prime Lebron both times... which we all know quite well how that goes.

Like I keep saying... one criteria for evaluating a coach is how they overperform with lesser talent or when they are missing top talent, like Thibs missing Randle. We haven't seen Nurse do that yet. Nurse has won zero....yes, zero... legitimate playoff series in 5 seasons since Kawhi left. And he missed the playoffs entirely twice. How can you possibly call him elite?

You guys haven't been paying attention. I don't think Nurse is a bad coach. He's ..... OK. The problem is that you guys can't see through the fog of your "Nurse is elite" bias that if somebody doesn't bow down to Nurse, then they are "down on Nurse".

Comment

• BS on the Thibs talent deficit. Didn't have the star power of Philly, but had a deep roster of solid nba players that fit together.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              BS on the Thibs talent deficit. Didn't have the star power of Philly, but had a deep roster of solid nba players that fit together.
                              It’s only a deep roster because Thibs coached them up. Thibs was basically starting 3 career backups (Hartenstein, Hart, DiVicenzio), with OG having to play out of position at PF, and of course coaching up Brunson to look like a super duper star that nobody saw coming. Even Rick Carlisle, who coached him, gave props to Knicks coaching staff for unlocking Brunson. You’re basically giving Thibs the ultimate compliment, because nobody would have looked at that roster in pre-season and said “hey… that’s a deep roster that can knock-off MVPs and all-stars in the playoffs”.

Like I said… you guys can’t even see what you’re doing here. You’re comparing Thibs against his own success and expecting him to win with what should be, on paper, a pretty mid roster… even with Randle… while doing the exact opposite with Nurse, ie., making excuse after excuse.

Heck, even Nurse expects himself to win more than you guys. He even wrote a book about it, and his motto is “expect to win”. And why couldn’t super-star stopper Nurse design a defense to stop the smallest Knick on the court, who had no legit secondary scorer? That was supposed to be his calling card, yet Brunson just got stronger as the series wore on. Wasn’t Nurse also supposed to be Mr Playoff Adjustment coach extraordinaire? So many opportunities to prove his elite-ness, since Kawhi left, but all we keep hearing are excuses.

Comment

Stevens made back-to-back trips to ECF very early in his career. The first one was with: Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder & Avery Bradley starting a ton of minutes in the playoffs. That's trash talent. Heck, to top it off, they started washed Amir Johnson 77 games in that same regular season and somehow won 53 games. Yuck. And then Stevens made the ECF again the next season with Tatum as a rookie. Kyrie got hurt and missed the playoffs entirely. But no excuses... they still made it all the way to the ECF. Obviously, losing only to prime Lebron both times... which we all know quite well how that goes.

Like I keep saying... one criteria for evaluating a coach is how they overperform with lesser talent or when they are missing top talent, like Thibs missing Randle. We haven't seen Nurse do that yet. Nurse has won zero....yes, zero... legitimate playoff series in 5 seasons since Kawhi left. And he missed the playoffs entirely twice. How can you possibly call him elite?

You guys haven't been paying attention. I don't think Nurse is a bad coach. He's ..... OK. The problem is that you guys can't see through the fog of your "Nurse is elite" bias that if somebody doesn't bow down to Nurse, then they are "down on Nurse".
                                Who are these people? I don't see anyone on here praising Nurse like you claim.

Comment

Working...
                                X