JV is the most disappointing player of 2014/15 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

special1 wrote: View Post
    He needs to learn to shoot a jumper when he's open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree. He hesitates too much when he's wide open at the "short" mid-range and then tends to shoot and miss after the hesitation. I think he can hit that shot reasonably well if he just shoots with confidence. It'd allow some different looks in our offence (once we have a real coach).

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
      I agree. He hesitates too much when he's wide open at the "short" mid-range and then tends to shoot and miss after the hesitation. I think he can hit that shot reasonably well if he just shoots with confidence. It'd allow some different looks in our offence (once we have a real coach).
      He will - he can shoot. It's just a confidence issue for a 22 year old who still needs to develop. JV is going to have a better jumpshot than 95% of the league's centers.

Between that untapped jumper and the fact that the Raps never use him to finish the P'n'R anymore, it's amazing that JV has maintained a high offensive efficiency. Those are two great potential strengths that the team isn't making any use of whatsoever.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
        He needs to learn to shoot a jumper when he's open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I wouldn't be surprised if he's been told by the coaching staff to not take any shots outside the paint.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
          I wouldn't be surprised if he's been told by the coaching staff to not take any shots outside the paint.
          Which would align, in terms of logic, with the whole "don't pass it to him if he's not deep" thing.

Maybe if they don't want guards passing him the ball 15 ft out, they also want him not to act on it if he happens to get it there.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            He will - he can shoot. It's just a confidence issue for a 22 year old who still needs to develop. JV is going to have a better jumpshot than 95% of the league's centers.

Between that untapped jumper and the fact that the Raps never use him to finish the P'n'R anymore, it's amazing that JV has maintained a high offensive efficiency. Those are two great potential strengths that the team isn't making any use of whatsoever.
            Watching other teams consistently carve up Toronto's defense, leaving JV to defend a 2-on-1 within the key, makes me wonder why Toronto doesn't utilize the same offensive strategy more often. Amir and JV would be great finishing the P&R, or being in a position to go up for an unchallenged offensive rebound (if the guard takes the shot).

The worst part is that with Lowry's ability to penetrate off the dribble (and DeRozan, with his improved court vision), he should be able to run the play easily enough. GV has previously shown that he's sort of Calderon-lite in his ability to run the P&R.

Does it all come back to DC's system, once again?
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Apr 8, 2015, 02:19 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Watching other teams consistently carve up Toronto's defense, leaving JV to defend a 2-on-1 within the key, it makes me wonder why Toronto doesn't utilize the same offensive strategy more often. Amir and JV would be great finishing the P&R, or being in a position to go up for an unchallenged offensive rebound (if the guard takes the shot).

The worst part is that with Lowry's ability to penetrate off the dribble (and DeRozan, with his increased court vision), he should be able to run the play easily enough. GV has previously shown that he's sort of Calderon-lite in his ability to run the P&R.

pick and roll doesn't have enough rock pounding for Casey.

Comment

Watching other teams consistently carve up Toronto's defense, leaving JV to defend a 2-on-1 within the key, makes me wonder why Toronto doesn't utilize the same offensive strategy more often. Amir and JV would be great finishing the P&R, or being in a position to go up for an unchallenged offensive rebound (if the guard takes the shot).

The worst part is that with Lowry's ability to penetrate off the dribble (and DeRozan, with his improved court vision), he should be able to run the play easily enough. GV has previously shown that he's sort of Calderon-lite in his ability to run the P&R.

Pick and roll kinda becomes predictable if the ball handler is never going to pass to the rolling man, no? I don't think demar and lowry are good passers on pick and roll.
                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Pick and roll kinda becomes predictable if the ball handler is never going to pass to the rolling man, no? I don't think demar and lowry are good passers on pick and roll.
                  I also invites a double and so apparently the Raptors are terrible ball handlers as well as passers. Good at chucking though, very good chuckers

Comment

But that's just it - I don't see any reason why they can't/shouldn't be.

I get the feeling that DC decided that his team wasn't full of pass-first facilitators, so he implemented a selfish offensive system. That seems like lazy coaching.

Lowry seems to thrive when playing off his dribble, either scoring or passing. Even DeRozan has shown good instincts in a few games, with some nifty dump-off passes to Amir/JV for easy baskets, which were opportunities that presented themselves as a result of his dribble-penetration. GV is definitely capable of running a P&R.

Comment

But that's just it - I don't see any reason why they can't/shouldn't be.

I get the feeling that DC decided that his team wasn't full of pass-first facilitators, so he implemented a selfish offensive system. That seems like lazy coaching.

Lowry seems to thrive when playing off his dribble, either scoring or passing. Even DeRozan has shown good instincts in a few games, with some nifty dump-off passes to Amir/JV for easy baskets, which were opportunities that presented themselves as a result of his dribble-penetration. GV is definitely capable of running a P&R.
                      Funny part is Casey told TRoss and JV to work on PnR in the offseason. Then he told JV to put on more weight

Comment

Tross is way more disappointing. He looks lost and if it wasn't for his streaky 3 pt. shooting, he's got no business in the starting lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Funny this whole thread is about how its everybody else fault except JV's about this disappointing season.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Funny this whole thread is about how its everybody else fault except JV's about this disappointing season.
                            Which is a fair assessment based on the facts. Can't blame the guy sitting on the bench for the 4th quarter collapse?
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Hard to fault him when he's improved across the board. If someone improves across the board, yet is being labelled as "disappointing", there must be something wrong beyond factors he can control.

Comment

Haha, you again!

Jonas' season was disappointing for some people.. cough cough NBA "analysts", BR writers.. cough cough.. They said he's going to break out this year for sure!

For people like me, with realistic expectations when it comes to our players, I'm absolutely fine with Jonas' season.

Dude's defense is significantly improved even though his personal awareness hasn't changed! You can see that he's communicating much more on the court. That needs to improve, but it's a good start. Post up game is improving smoothly. He's averaging career highs in PTS, REB(ish) FTMA and FG%. He got back to his projected 1.2-1.3 blk p/g for this season. Jonas also showed that he is serious about protecting the rim.

He hasn't disappointed me a bit, can you say same about Mr. Casey or T Ross? Oh well..

Oh.. one more thing.. Jonas is our PER leader with 20.8 score ( 2nd. Lou 19.9 3rd Lowry 19.6 4th DD 17.1 )
                                Last edited by rocwell; Fri Apr 10, 2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X