Has MU become MLSE's next lap dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    BKN has made the playoff both years and they are a mess. Bucks and Celtics made it without even trying. The East is a mess. It's really hard not to make the playoffs.
    The fuck do you want in two years man? A damned 'Ship?

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      You know MLSE has completely changed under Bell/Rogers? The board of directors now has reps from both companies. Under OTP it was a completely different group of people on the board (chaired by Richard Peddie, who isn't there anymore) operating for a different ownership group. The one carry over this whole time is Larry Tannebaum, who is a minority owner and has been around since Day 1.

My theory is Larry Tannebaum is a Sith Lord and I thought Leiweke was his apprentice but maybe it's actually Ujiri because they couldn't pull Leiweke all the way over to the Dark Side. Or maybe Leiweke just wasn't strong enough in the force because he was too distracted by making money on www.justlikestubhub.com.

Edit - I found a pic of the current MLSE board members:

RIP Christopher Lee (Count Dooku)

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
        The fuck do you want in two years man? A damned 'Ship?
        They were swept doing what everybody could see would lead to a first round exit. First year was just to get playoff experience, second year they achieved nothing. It wasn't even close

Comment

I feel Masai did nothing at the deadline because nothing was worth more than doing something. BC would have made a trade, using a draft pick to try and make something from what he thought was nothing.

After the Gay trade it was hard to gauge where the team was at. He locked up players at decent prices on easily moveable contracts. Last year evaluated. Again deadline came and doing nothing was more valuable to the team. Got our asses handed to us and now we will see his and dcs vision take form this summer.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            He also said the Raptors will NOT be a treadmill team, yet here we are
            We are not a treadmill team... not yet anyway.

Leiweke and Ujiri specifically mentioned staying out of that 7-11 range (that is treadmilling, which is what we basically did from 2009-2013, with the exception of the 2010-11 season).

If we roll out the same squad again next year and win 40 or so games again, yeah I'd start calling it treadmilling at that point.

I expect Ujiri to make a move to prevent us from getting to that point though. Whether that means acquiring another star to push us at least to Bulls/Hawks level where a conference finals appearance is a more likely event, or dealing one or more key stars away and going all in for a rebuild/retool (or whatever you want to call it, it's just semantics).

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              I feel Masai did nothing at the deadline because nothing was worth more than doing something. BC would have made a trade, using a draft pick to try and make something from what he thought was nothing.

After the Gay trade it was hard to gauge where the team was at. He locked up players at decent prices on easily moveable contracts. Last year evaluated. Again deadline came and doing nothing was more valuable to the team. Got our asses handed to us and now we will see his and dcs vision take form this summer.
              Well I think last year nothing was done at the deadline because big moves had already been made anyway (Gay trade, Bargs trade). This year I think Ujiri restrained himself from making a BC-style move at the deadline, which I think a lot of Raps fans with short-term memory loss were advocating for.

Seeing ideas like trading away our pick this year or the Knicks/Nuggets pick next year to get a Wilson Chandler type player, made me want tot throw up. I think Ujiri saw in advance that the team was headed for a 1st or at best 2nd round exit in the playoffs, and decided not to mortgage our future for 1 or 2 extra wins in the playoffs. Smart move.

Love having patience in a GM, now I'm just waiting to see how he changes the team this offseason.

Comment

MU said that he wanted to ride out the season to give a 100% honest look at the team. No trades that may change the outlook. That way he could get a true look at the roster.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  MU said that he wanted to ride out the season to give a 100% honest look at the team. No trades that may change the outlook. That way he could get a true look at the roster.
                  More and more it looks like the status quo for neck year with cosmetic changes. MU looks like he is more concerned about making his bosses happy than improving our team.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                    We are not a treadmill team... not yet anyway.

Leiweke and Ujiri specifically mentioned staying out of that 7-11 range (that is treadmilling, which is what we basically did from 2009-2013, with the exception of the 2010-11 season).

If we roll out the same squad again next year and win 40 or so games again, yeah I'd start calling it treadmilling at that point.

I expect Ujiri to make a move to prevent us from getting to that point though. Whether that means acquiring another star to push us at least to Bulls/Hawks level where a conference finals appearance is a more likely event, or dealing one or more key stars away and going all in for a rebuild/retool (or whatever you want to call it, it's just semantics).
                    My definition of "treadmill team" is simply being too good to land a top 5 draft spot, and being too poor to be competing for a conference championship. By this definition, we are a treadmill team, and have been for the last 4 years.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      My definition of "treadmill team" is simply being too good to land a top 5 draft spot, and being too poor to be competing for a conference championship. By this definition, we are a treadmill team, and have been for the last 4 years.
                      By that definition, both west conference finalists (Rockets & Warriors) were built while tread-milling.

Comment

70% of the league is treadmilling then. Cool.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                          Well I think last year nothing was done at the deadline because big moves had already been made anyway (Gay trade, Bargs trade). This year I think Ujiri restrained himself from making a BC-style move at the deadline, which I think a lot of Raps fans with short-term memory loss were advocating for.

Seeing ideas like trading away our pick this year or the Knicks/Nuggets pick next year to get a Wilson Chandler type player, made me want tot throw up. I think Ujiri saw in advance that the team was headed for a 1st or at best 2nd round exit in the playoffs, and decided not to mortgage our future for 1 or 2 extra wins in the playoffs. Smart move.

Love having patience in a GM, now I'm just waiting to see how he changes the team this offseason.
                          It very well could be that MU wanted the team to:

A) take a step forward and prove they were worthy of keeping together and building around (ie: get past 1st round)

B) show their ceiling to be the first round in order to give him justification for at least a significant retooling

I also thought that the A/B outcomes above would apply to Casey, so who knows... though if I were a betting man, I'd think Casey's seat would be about the hottest in the league come the first half of next season!

Comment

I kind of get the feeling MU will just try to keep it all together at a similar competitive level until next summer. He possibly sees there would be more (and potentially more rewarding) opportunities for improvement than what's out there currently this offseason.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                              I kind of get the feeling MU will just try to keep it all together at a similar competitive level until next summer. He possibly sees there would be more (and potentially more rewarding) opportunities for improvement than what's out there currently this offseason.
                              Bullshit

Gotta take the leap at some point.

Might as well be now

Comment

Bullshit

Gotta take the leap at some point.

Might as well be now
                                Might as well take control of your situation than wait for others to decide it for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X