2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    Why does anyone think Carroll was an overpay? First, it's free agency. You pay a premium for free agents. Is this news to people? Second, all these contracts are being based on the new cap that is coming, so the total dollars are going to be much higher than they are on old deals. Third, do people not understand what a steal we got with Lowry last year? The reason the Carroll contract isn't a big deal is because the Raptors have no bad contracts to deal with so, even if it is an "overpay" it is immaterial as the amount of the overpay (what, $2 million per year?) has no material effect on Toronto signing other players.

You want to sign free agents? It costs you.
    He makes a little more than Landry + Hayes did in straight cash

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
      so he helped us overpay a guy? woohoo!
      no need for the negativity. He is a good pickup that addresses a need we had.

Comment

Why does anyone think Carroll was an overpay? First, it's free agency. You pay a premium for free agents. Is this news to people? Second, all these contracts are being based on the new cap that is coming, so the total dollars are going to be much higher than they are on old deals. Third, do people not understand what a steal we got with Lowry last year? The reason the Carroll contract isn't a big deal is because the Raptors have no bad contracts to deal with so, even if it is an "overpay" it is immaterial as the amount of the overpay (what, $2 million per year?) has no material effect on Toronto signing other players.

I read yesterday where the cap is going to $90M next year from $69M this year, and $108M in '17-'18. This will be peanuts by then.

Comment

It has, though. Raps would have max money with just a Patterson salary dump trade and a Ridnour waive, had the Carroll signing been at 12 million a year. Even if he is a good fit, and he is, I never disputed that, it's still paying way too much for a 29-year old quasi-journeyman who only became a consistent contributor in a good team two seasons ago and is probably exiting his prime. It's less of an overpay because of the salary cap jump next season, but is still an overpay.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
            I read yesterday where the cap is going to $90M next year from $69M this year, and $108M in '17-'18. This will be peanuts by then.
            Lots of teams have had trouble filling the 3, Memphis, Clippers, Bulls. Stabilizing the position for 3-4 years is worth 15M

Comment

I originally thought he was an overpay as well but after seeing other deals and what analysts (and posters here) have said about how drastically the cap is changing (someone pointed out that Carroll's contract will just be 13% of the cap next year) it seems like fair money for DC.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                Some people can't help but shit on anything good that happens. I am not a Casey fan, but I am still able to give credit where credit is due. We now have our starting small forward for the next 4 years that everyone here has been screaming for. Considering Butler, Kawhi, Middleton and Lebron weren't an option for the Raps, we really did get the best guy available. 15million per year will be the equivalent of 10million per year under the new cap, which is a steal.
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                  For all the negative things you can say about Casey, you can't take away his gift of gab. Plus I'm sure he was wearing his championship ring as well.
                  Casey is well respected throughout the league. Its just on this forum. Where people feel that they can critique cause they have 20 years plus of coaching experience.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    There are a half dozen platters that just entered the league that are better than Biyombo. Roll with Bebe on the second unit and start 2Pat upgrade next off season. Casey is HC there is no rush.
                    I think Biyombo is probably better than you're giving him credit for - he's a rotation calibre defensive big-man (as far as I know). The big question is what we want - are we looking for a (starting?) PF or do we want backup bigmen? If we're rolling with Patterson at the starting 4 (and I'd be reasonably happy with doing so, dat spacing), backup 5 is a logical place to spend a few bucks and get a little stronger, even if they aren't going to get a lot of minutes (see last season).

The thing about Biyombo is that he actually fits a small ball, scramble defense pretty well - in the role of Psycho-T. He's long and mobile and can rebound and contest shots. Delon/Ross/Carroll/JJ/Biyombo is a 2-way improvement over our scramble-bench mob from this year, which was incredibly effective for Casey last season (yeah, Carroll's going to be playing a lot of minutes). That could be BeBe out there, but something tells me that Casey will still be reluctant to play the Brazilians in 2015/2016.

Finally, it would be nice to sign a big that can also play next to Jonas, and as much as we want floor-spacers next to him, we already have that (Patterson, Carroll, Bruno, JJ to some extent, Daniels), so I'm inclined to choose defense, length, athleticism, rebounding, and youth. Ed Davis would fill the same role, but I think he's going to get a pretty penny from the Lakers or elsewhere.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      Umm you know there's only 1 basketball?
                      Rondo is a traditional pass first point guard, before he went to Dallas, where his role was changed. If he goes back to that pass first mindset, they could actually be an under the radar team. Especially, if the team's chemistry is good.
                      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Casey is well respected throughout the league. Its just on this forum. Where people feel that they can critique cause they have 20 years plus of coaching experience.
                        He'll never get hired as a HC after the Raptors and will be lucky to get an assistants job. Only time Casey get directly analyzed by the media the words "bizarre" and "unprepared" pop up. Cuban said he'd take him back in a heartbeat but he also traded for Rondo. Casey sucks.

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                          Some people can't help but shit on anything good that happens. I am not a Casey fan, but I am still able to give credit where credit is due. We now have our starting small forward for the next 4 years that everyone here has been screaming for. Considering Butler, Kawhi, Middleton and Lebron weren't an option for the Raps, we really did get the best guy available. 15million per year will be the equivalent of 10million per year under the new cap, which is a steal.
                          That's what I think as well. Now, I would have liked to see a couple more seasons of solid numbers under his belt before we even signed him at all, but this is what the market dictated for one of the top few SF's available. If we overpaid a bit, maybe that's just what the Raps have to do to be relevant.

Comment

• GuiJaeger wrote: View Post
                            It has, though. Raps would have max money with just a Patterson salary dump trade and a Ridnour waive, had the Carroll signing been at 12 million a year. Even if he is a good fit, and he is, I never disputed that, it's still paying way too much for a 29-year old quasi-journeyman who only became a consistent contributor in a good team two seasons ago and is probably exiting his prime. It's less of an overpay because of the salary cap jump next season, but is still an overpay.
                            Why would he take $12 million when he's the best SF available and there were at least three teams going hard for him? Lebron and Leonard weren't going anywhere and Middleton was restricted, Carroll was the best SF on the market and he was going to get paid. That's how free agency works. That was his FMV, so that's what he got. MU and company didn't pull some random number out of a hat.

As for cap room, Raps still met with LMA and presumably offered him the max, so management was obviously confident they could find room to operate. Given that they are in a battle for Wes Mathews now at close to $15 million/season, it doesn't seem they have any concerns about cap room.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              He'll never get hired as a HC after the Raptors and will be lucky to get an assistants job. Only time Casey get directly analyzed by the media the words "bizarre" and "unprepared" pop up. Cuban said he'd take him back in a heartbeat but he also traded for Rondo. Casey sucks.
                              So what do you think of Masai?
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                                Casey is the coach not the GM his main job is using the players. Casey is just good at attaching his name to popular thing while throwing guys under the bus after he shits the bed. Demar was just as valuable in recruiting if the media is right and he's not the coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X