2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Still takes up a roster spot though for this year if you sign for multiple seasons.

He is likely gone for the year with that type of injury. Same thing Durant had.
    Yep, but if he was healthy, would it be any different? Would we really expect a 2nd rounder to contribute any meaningful minutes this year on a playoff bound team?

I don't expect any rookies to contribute in a meaningful way, maybe they'll get some human victory cigar minutes, but overall we are too good a team to expect any rookie to play even 5 min a game consistently.

The only issue is that we might now have a bit too many unproven youngsters taking up roster spots. I'd prefer 12 real contributors. But that issue existed Daniels injury or not. Maybe Nogueira or Bruno step up and get some minutes this year to bring us to 12 real contributors.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      I wouldn't mind giving him the min and just letting him eat up a roster spot. He wouldn't play regardless.

Only question is if he's injured, are we still allowed to send 3 guys down to the dleague? (Assuming we have 15 guys signed)

Cuz then we'd only have 11 guys dressed
      Yeah, he can be "active" even if there is no chance he plays.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
        Would it still be possible to sign Hansbrough and De Colo? If so, we should definitely do it and put Powell and Daniels in the d-league!

Valanciunas | Biyombo | Nogueira
        Scola | Patterson | Hansbrough
        Carroll | Johnson | Caboclo
        DeRozan | Ross | De Colo
        Lowry | Joseph | Wright

I really like this squad!!!
        I believe a team can only have 15 roster spots total (16 with league approval).. that would include any players signed to a contract playing in the D League. So if they did get a vet min guy like Hans that's 15 players not including Powell and Daniels.

With Daniels' injury, I'd assume Powell will get that spot and then we wouldn't be able to get a vet min guy anyway.

Ultimately I think it'll come down to a $3M type deal for some free agent or De Colo for that last roster spot.

Personally I think Hans became redundant as soon as they signed Biyombo, and then even more so once when they signed Scola. De Colo isn't really needed as our back court has a lot of depth, unless he's brought in as a trade asset.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
          if he is out for the year, can't you get a waiver for an extra spot from the NBA
          Not that I know of. NBA can allow an extra spot for a short time if you have 4 players injured.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Yeah, he can be "active" even if there is no chance he plays.
            In that case, give him the min and sign someone like Dorell as a floor stretcher and that should end the offseason.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              Yeah I really don't get the TT hype. He's good at rebounding, so fucking what? We give up picks and assets for some rebounds?
              Yeah, I really don't get the lack of appreciation for the importance of rebounding. And a lack of appreciation for offensive rebounding in particular. There are not many guys in the league that excel on the offensive boards.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I believe a team can only have 15 roster spots total (16 with league approval).. that would include any players signed to a contract playing in the D League. So if they did get a vet min guy like Hans that's 15 players not including Powell and Daniels.

With Daniels' injury, I'd assume Powell will get that spot and then we wouldn't be able to get a vet min guy anyway.

Ultimately I think it'll come down to a $3M type deal for some free agent or De Colo for that last roster spot.

Personally I think Hans became redundant as soon as they signed Biyombo, and then even more so once when they signed Scola. De Colo isn't really needed as our back court has a lot of depth, unless he's brought in as a trade asset.
                You cannot keep Daniels' and Powell's rights and put them in the dleague team?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                  You cannot keep Daniels' and Powell's rights and put them in the dleague team?
                  OKC - Josh Heustis

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    OKC - Josh Heustis
                    Draft rights expire in 3 yrs afaik

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                      Yep, but if he was healthy, would it be any different? Would we really expect a 2nd rounder to contribute any meaningful minutes this year on a playoff bound team?

I don't expect any rookies to contribute in a meaningful way, maybe they'll get some human victory cigar minutes, but overall we are too good a team to expect any rookie to play even 5 min a game consistently.

The only issue is that we might now have a bit too many unproven youngsters taking up roster spots. I'd prefer 12 real contributors. But that issue existed Daniels injury or not. Maybe Nogueira or Bruno step up and get some minutes this year to bring us to 12 real contributors.
                      I don't expect him to contribute - healthy or not.

My thoughts are more along the lines of maximizing player development in DLeague (3 guys down playing) when you have to dress 12 bodies.

Plus there are always going to be injuries leading to some lost opportunities for DLeague action. If there is already one injured guy taking up a roster spot, that just makes even less opportunity to maximize the Dleague.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm pretty tired right now - haha.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        I don't expect him to contribute - healthy or not.

My thoughts are more along the lines of maximizing player development in DLeague (3 guys down playing) when you have to dress 12 bodies.

Plus there are always going to be injuries leading to some lost opportunities for DLeague action. If there is already one injured guy taking up a roster spot, that just makes even less opportunity to maximize the Dleague.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm pretty tired right now - haha.
                        I like how the Rockets handle their D-League assignments. They usually send 1-2 of their prospects to the D-League team, and have the rest with their main team. Then every three weeks or so they flip them. Their thinking is that young guys need real playing time in games, but they also need to spend time with the main team, practice with them, travel with them, integrate, get used to the coaching staff, get used to core players, scrimmage with them, and just feel like part of the team.

That thinking makes sense to me, and Rockets have been good at using D-League in developing their young guys. If we follow similar strategy instead of dumping youngsters to D-League as much as possible, then 3 D-League spots isn't an issue even if we had 4-6 guys spending time there.

When it comes to Daniels, I guess if he agrees to it, we could sign him to our D-League team directly for a year. But their max salary is only something like 25k, so I don't know how he'd feel about it. If he agrees, we could let him recover for a year and then we'd keep his rights. If we sign him ourselves and cut him, we lose his rights. If he sits out a year with no pro contract, we also lose his rights. So either we have to get him to agree to that small deal in D-League, or we should just sign him to a long mostly non-guaranteed contract ourselves. After all, we spent a pretty high pick on him, so we shouldn't just lose his rights because of an injury.

Comment

• I've often praised Houston on use of dleague.

They are the gold standard.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, I really don't get the lack of appreciation for the importance of rebounding. And a lack of appreciation for offensive rebounding in particular. There are not many guys in the league that excel on the offensive boards.
                            I appreciate rebounding but wouldn't give the max to a guy who does only that
                            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• I'd give this offseason an A just based on the proximity and ownership of our d-league team. This is gonna help our developmental program so much. Also, I really think Jesse is a very underrated coach.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X