2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    I see professor Miller more as a 3rd PG, or a 2nd PG if you run your PG into the ground. Managing Lowry's minutes is going to start being important as he hits his 30's. Having a PG who can start his share of games is really important for me. Other than Dr. Miller I can't think of a long list of vet backups who would have fit here to be honest. I'll have a look, but I like the CoJo pickup.

I really really thought the drafting of Delon was inspired. If they limit the amount of games Kyle plays he will get minutes. If Ross fails to become consistent he can get some minutes there. I expect him to play a few games.

To me those DeColo rights are just a trade chip. He's not coming back for cheap. He's making too much in Europe. No way he leaves money on the table unless Cleveland wants him. If he was a cheap option he would be in the NBA. By the way, his CSKA contract expires after this coming season. So he would of had to buy out his contract to have come over.
    You nailed it with the bold. If Lowry is feeling hurt or exhausted, we could start Cojo with Delon backing up for a game to give Kyle rest. We haven't ever had that option.

Comment

Kyle! 12 minutes..
      Is it just me, or does he sound more like a true leader every year?

Compared to his past self he really has taken a complete 180 in terms of who he is and how he approaches the game and life.

Excited to see this guy play this year. Couldn't be happier for him or the team

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        You nailed it with the bold. If Lowry is feeling hurt or exhausted, we could start Cojo with Delon backing up for a game to give Kyle rest. We haven't ever had that option.
        Thanks Primer. You're point was pretty eloquent as well.

The league is changing. The Raps have had 2 solid PGs multiple years, but if one got hurt the 3rd PG was painful to watch play. Now the best teams rest their best players. I'm glad to see that it appears that Masai is making that adjustment.

Comment

Kyle! 12 minutes..
          Still got a chip on his shoulder, looks annoyed by some of the questions but can't blame the guy.

"You read the thing people say" RR you are on the watch list.

Comment

I see professor Miller more as a 3rd PG, or a 2nd PG if you run your PG into the ground. Managing Lowry's minutes is going to start being important as he hits his 30's. Having a PG who can start his share of games is really important for me. Other than Dr. Miller I can't think of a long list of vet backups who would have fit here to be honest. I'll have a look, but I like the CoJo pickup.

I really really thought the drafting of Delon was inspired. If they limit the amount of games Kyle plays he will get minutes. If Ross fails to become consistent he can get some minutes there. I expect him to play a few games.

To me those DeColo rights are just a trade chip. He's not coming back for cheap. He's making too much in Europe. No way he leaves money on the table unless Cleveland wants him. If he was a cheap option he would be in the NBA. By the way, his CSKA contract expires after this coming season. So he would of had to buy out his contract to have come over.

EDIT: Forgot this link:
            http://www.hoopsrumors.com/nando-de-colo
            I agree that Nando wasn't really in the cards for this year. However, his rights can't be traded. They do however, give us the ability to spend above the cap to sign him, whether we have cap space (as long as we save room for his 1.8 mill cap hold) or not, which is pretty valuable.

14.5 PPG, 3.4 RPG, and 3.2 APG in 23.8 minutes per game. I didn't realize he did those numbers in such limited minutes.

Comment

• Some lol's

How was your summer?! my summer was great (ahem details?!) followed by awkward silence.

Someone should tell Bruno he will likely spend more then a few games in the D-League.

Comment

Kyle! 12 minutes..
                Looks like a young Eddy Curry lol.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• s

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Oh okay.. I assume [Muneori Kawaski is] a young rookie with not much awareness? Sorry haven't followed baseball since Alomar was a Jay.
                    Actually Kawasaki is a huge fan favorite, who loves the game, and isn't quite prime time material. Think sort of a cross between Brian Scalabrine and Bruno.

Comment

Of all the positions to have a 3rd player on the depth chart, you need a 3rd PG the most. Having a shitty PG equals shitty team 9 times out of 10. Kyle missed 12 games last year, that's 12 games with zero backup PG. Kyle played hurt a lot too, but we couldn't afford to rest him because there was no 3rd PG. We've also been forced to play Kyle 35 minutes per game and Grevis 23 minutes per game the past two seasons because of our lack of depth. We're gonna play some 2 PG lineups, it's Casey, you know we will. Those 58 minutes would be more judiciously spread among 3 players than 2. We can afford to give Wright 5-10 MPG with a huge boost should Lowry or Cojo get injured or need rest. If we had a 4th PG, that guy would be expendable, but I'm really happy the days of being only 2 deep at PG are over.
                      I like this. We also saw "needing that quality 3rd PG" problem with Team Canada this summer. Does that mean Wright makes the active roster? Really hope so. Not sure if a pass-first PG with 4-yrs of college learns that much in the D-League, tbh.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        I like this. We also saw "needing that quality 3rd PG" problem with Team Canada this summer. Does that mean Wright makes the active roster? Really hope so. Not sure if a pass-first PG with 4-yrs of college learns that much in the D-League, tbh.
                        I think he'll spend more time on the active roster than in the DLeague, but we'll send him down there quite a bit when Lowry and Cojo are both feeling fresh. I expect all the young guys except Bruno to get shuffled back and forth, whereas I think Bruno will be the full time starting SF of the Raptors905.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          What do you mean - will Wright be dressed most nights? I'd probably bet on him being dressed about half the games, what with the rotation from D-league, undressed, dressed-DNPCD, and dressed-got on the court. It is a fucking terrific situation to have, where young players feel rewarded and excited just to be dressed, let alone get on the court. We've come a long way from our days of drafting Hoffa and trying to play him right away.

He'll cycle through this development system we have, earning the ear of the various coaches, earning his stripes, and eventually earning time on the court for Casey. He won't be a permanent fixture in the top 12 though, as a floor general I think he benefits the development of the 905 and the other youngsters too much to have him suited up every Raptors game, and everyone will hopefully earn their shot at being 'active'.

I do think there will be more accountability, and a move away from over-reliance, this year at every position, because of the depth, but also from the culture that I see taking root - the work ethic of the young guys like Delon, going up and down to the 905, hungry, bookending the starters' own worth ethic.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                            Is it just me, or does he sound more like a true leader every year?

Compared to his past self he really has taken a complete 180 in terms of who he is and how he approaches the game and life.

Excited to see this guy play this year. Couldn't be happier for him or the team
                            I think Lowry will be fine.

But there sure is a chippiness, a level of discomfort, even defensiveness about him. But I think it's because he wants to be "the guy". He has an edge. But you need guys like that.

And it was very cool to hear him talk - it seems obviously sincerely - about the guys he'll miss who have left (and he stays in touch with) and the guys who've come that he knows well and values. Very cool.

I can see how guys like Scola and DeMar could be natural leaders off the court. More comfortable with themselves .. though I take him at his word that he'll try to help the younger guys contribute.

But I think Kyle wants to lead on the floor. Badly. I think you've gotta respect his commitment to the game itself. The physicality, the charges, the minutes at high-tempo. And a 12:00 talk on media day. All right.
                            Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Sep 28, 2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I think he'll spend more time on the active roster than in the DLeague, but we'll send him down there quite a bit when Lowry and Cojo are both feeling fresh. I expect all the young guys except Bruno to get shuffled back and forth, whereas I think Bruno will be the full time starting SF of the Raptors905.
                              Theoretical wager: I doubt Delon will spend much time in the DLeague - save except if they want the guys down there to work with a point-guard with some polish... which may well be. But I think he might get a few minutes in quite a few games. And they may want Delon around the big boys. He's no distraction. He's a "comer". And a quality learner, I suspect.

Just a hunch. I don't really value my opinion more than your own. (Much)
                              Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Sep 28, 2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X