2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Whether or not DeMar is "worth" max-money (often a subjective matter, even after the market has spoken, arguably) may be less relevant than how close management and key players feel the team is to truly contending ... and what it is thought management can do with money that certain players leave "on the table".

I'm hoping Demar will give us a discount (as JV seems to have ... maybe) not just because it will give is the impression he likes our city, country and franchise, but because it will signal - to everybody, including desirable free agents, that he feels this franchise is a good one with a bright future - and "close" enough to commit to in that way.

And I'd bet he will. And so I'm prepared to give him his "props" now. Cause I like him ... and I think that sort of thing helps. In a way, I think it's about the only positive thing a fan can do - besides watching the games and cheering.
    I'm hoping Demar has his best season ever. If things go as well as possible we are legit Finals contenders. A huge part of things going as well as possible is Demar having his best season ever. This is probably the most important year of his career as his next contract will probably be the largest one he signs in his entire career. Players typically perform well in those situations, so I'm optimistic. Can't wait for the season to start.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      Coach Pop... doesn't really fit here, but it's Coach Pop

I feel sorry for that journalist, his voice started to shake. He showed pretty good composure.

I remember Sabonis doing something like this in one interview to a young journalist.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
        I don't trust anything regarding Masai and his office until it is publicly confirmed. No leaks, no hints. You never know what Masai will do. Saying he would extend DD doesn't matter.
        Edit: so I haven't had any coffee yet and read your last sentence incorrectly. But leaving the rest of my post the same anyway. TLDR: yes MU would extend DD, but don't read anything more into it

When Masai says Derozan is worth more than the extension can pay him, you can safely read between the lines and assume that if DD would sign the extension then Masai would offer it to him. But Masai, at least in the public's eye, has the strategy of showing respect for DD's talent (and the ballooning salary cap of course...probably more because of that) by not even bothering to discuss the extension. But notice how he never states that DD will be worth the max (allegedly what DD wants).

So he's complimenting DD by stating that the extension would leave him underpaid, but he never says anything about paying him what he wants. It's subtle but brilliant. He's saying, without saying it, that "we would love you to come back at the cheap extension, but we know you're too good for that. So let's talk after the season." So DD can feel all warm and fuzzy about being wanted, but Masai hasn't actually said he'd pay more for DD.

And in a huge long shot, say DD gets an injury scare, it also leaves the option on the table for DD to come to Raps and say he'll sign an extension without either party losing face.
        Last edited by Mess; Thu Oct 1, 2015, 09:25 AM. Reason: still asleep
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• It's MU leaving his options open. He knows DD isn't going to take a low ball offer so why not wait. The season is long. If DD has a bad season then perhaps his price tag gets driven down. If somehow an upgrade at SG presents itself at the end of the season via free agency or draft then great. The worst that could happen is that he scours all his options and if no better option is there he gives DD his max contract, but for now its options, options, options.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            It's MU leaving his options open. He knows DD isn't going to take a low ball offer so why not wait. The season is long. If DD has a bad season then perhaps his price tag gets driven down. If somehow an upgrade at SG presents itself at the end of the season via free agency or draft then great. The worst that could happen is that he scours all his options and if no better option is there he gives DD his max contract, but for now its options, options, options.
            thats a pretty bad worst case scenario.

Comment

Whether or not DeMar is "worth" max-money (often a subjective matter, even after the market has spoken, arguably) may be less relevant than how close management and key players feel the team is to truly contending ... and what it is thought management can do with money that certain players leave "on the table".

I'm hoping Demar will give us a discount (as JV seems to have ... maybe) not just because it will give is the impression he likes our city, country and franchise, but because it will signal - to everybody, including desirable free agents, that he feels this franchise is a good one with a bright future - and "close" enough to commit to in that way.

And I'd bet he will. And so I'm prepared to give him his "props" now. Cause I like him ... and I think that sort of thing helps. In a way, I think it's about the only positive thing a fan can do - besides watching the games and cheering.
              Good post. Someone should share with DD the discussions that have occurred on this forum re his potential max contract. I think that is an excellent point re him giving us a discount --that should supplant much of the angst of his value re max contract. It certainly would make things more palatable.

Comment

• Why would anyone give a F how palatable their salary is to the fans?
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  DD ain't going anywhere.
                  Ask Lou Will what MU's words really mean
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote:
                    I feel sorry for that journalist, his voice started to shake. He showed pretty good composure.

I remember Sabonis doing something like this in one interview to a young journalist.
                    Wow. Jesus. You can see how much John Gobbons (Blue Jays Manager) hates doing post-game interviews.

"So why didn't you pull your pitcher before that guy hit the home run?"

"Please. Lend me your time machine."

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                      4 days left. Sunday October 4th, Clippers vs Toronto @ 7pm. Mark your calendar folks.
                      I'm already hyped

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                        thats a pretty bad worst case scenario.
                        Derozan getting the max isn't a worst case scenario. It's a best-case scenario .... if he can earn it.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          Ask Lou Will what MU's words really mean
                          Yup. There was one hurt, surprised and confused guy ... but still gracious. I felt badly. Wish him well .... in LA ... (LOL).

Comment

Yup. There was one hurt, surprised and confused guy ... but still gracious. I felt badly. Wish him well .... in LA ... (LOL).
                            I wonder what the Lakers are trying to do? Lou Will on the same team as Kobe? Swaggy P? D'Angelo Russell? Jordan Clarkson? It's gonna be an iso-fest all year long in Lala land

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                              Why would anyone give a F how palatable their salary is to the fans?
                              Well generally "no", but occasionally a guy puts an organization over a barrel, gets a pay-day ... and gets booed outta town. Karma can be a bitch.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                I wonder what the Lakers are trying to do? Lou Will on the same team as Kobe? Swaggy P? D'Angelo Russell? Jordan Clarkson? It's gonna be an iso-fest all year long in Lala land

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                                Don't be silly. All they need is a good coach - NBA Finals!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X