2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully wrote: View Post
    The NBA has more repeat champions since 1990 than the other 3 major sports combined… NHL has 2, MLB and NFL have 3 each and the NBA has 10. And that doesn't take into account a team like the Spurs, who technically never won it back to back but won 3 titles in 5 years at one point.

I don't think anyone is foolish enough to say that talent is the only thing that matters… and there's already been some outliers posted in this thread that would prove it. But professional basketball is clearly the sport where you can predict consistent success for any team that has a single superstar player (let's say top 3/4 in the league at any given point). It's why pretty much all of the titles over the last 30 years have been won by one of Magic, Bird, Jordan, Olajuwon, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe or Lebron.

I don't really want to get too deep into the "you need a superstar to win a title!" debate as it's not true and a dead horse regardless. But it still remains the simplest way to be really good, really quickly and then to also sustain it. And the NBA does actually have a great deal of consecutive title winners, based on this idea.
    OKC has had the most talent and no rings. Rockets have a top players at two positions and can't get into the WCF. The common factor in all the repeat champions is an offense that doesn't rely too heavily on one or two players and good defense

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      The common factor in all the repeat champions is an offense that doesn't rely too heavily on one or two players and good defense
      Wasn't your original point that repeat champions don't happen at all? And this also seems like something that you're just pulling out of mid air. I'd be willing to be that most NBA champions have a one-two tandem on offence that makes up a significant amount of their scoring… probably more so than your average NBA team.
      Last edited by Fully; Mon Oct 26, 2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        I may have missed it, but I haven't seen you propose an alternate team building route. How would you suggest we get this star player? We are well setup for a Trade, Signing and Draft pick this year so im not sure what else you would propose. multiple years of tanking?
        Free Agency.

Star players rarely gets traded in the NBA. And the Raps don't really have any assets to trade for one anyway.

As for tanking, no thanks. Look at the Sixers, they've been tanking for YEARS now and they probably would be back in the lottery next year.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Wasn't your original point that repeat champions don't happen at all? And this also seems like something that you're just pulling out of mid air. I'd be willing to be that most NBA champions have a one-two tandem on offence that makes up a significant amount of their scoring… probably more so than your average NBA team.
          My point was that if talent was the biggest factor then Teams would be dynasties like the Jordan Bulls but even the Spurs dont win every year. Winning a championship requires talent + coaching + talent willing to sacrifice

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            NBA Champions the last 10 years:

Warriors
            Spurs
            Heat
            Heat
            Mavs
            Lakers
            Lakers
            Celtics
            Spurs
            Heat
            Spurs

What do they have all in common?
            huge floppy penises
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
              huge floppy penises
              athletic black men?
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                NBA Champions the last 10 years:

Warriors
                Spurs
                Heat
                Heat
                Mavs
                Lakers
                Lakers
                Celtics
                Spurs
                Heat
                Spurs

What do they have all in common?
                all have numerous all stars but most importantly an mvp

Comment

• CA$H MONEY wrote: View Post
                  all have numerous all stars but most importantly an mvp
                  I second the big floppy dicks

Comment

The NBA has more repeat champions since 1990 than the other 3 major sports combined… NHL has 2, MLB and NFL have 3 each and the NBA has 10. And that doesn't take into account a team like the Spurs, who technically never won it back to back but won 3 titles in 5 years at one point.

I don't think anyone is foolish enough to say that talent is the only thing that matters… and there's already been some outliers posted in this thread that would prove it. But professional basketball is clearly the sport where you can predict consistent success for any team that has a single superstar player (let's say top 3/4 in the league at any given point). It's why pretty much all of the titles over the last 30 years have been won by one of Magic, Bird, Jordan, Olajuwon, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe or Lebron. ...
                    I think that's a rock-solid post. Well argued.

Comment

• So it sounds like Harrison Barnes will not reach an agreement with the Warriors before the Nov 2nd deadline and thus becomes a RFA next off-season;

Would giving him a reasonably large RFA tender be the best option after Durant/Horford for Plan C? Would GSW be able to match with their current cap situation?

Personally like Barnes more than a Batum, as he had great size for the 3 (slide DC into SG) and offers a solid small-ball PF option if that is the route we choose (Ross/Powell at SG?, DC at 3, HB at 4).
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        So it sounds like Harrison Barnes will not reach an agreement with the Warriors before the Nov 2nd deadline and thus becomes a RFA next off-season;

Would giving him a reasonably large RFA tender be the best option after Durant/Horford for Plan C? Would GSW be able to match with their current cap situation?

Personally like Barnes more than a Batum, as he had great size for the 3 (slide DC into SG) and offers a solid small-ball PF option if that is the route we choose (Ross/Powell at SG?, DC at 3, HB at 4).
                        I likr barnes. Alot.

And i really like how he has been working alot with nash on improving his offense.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                          I likr barnes. Alot.

And i really like how he has been working alot with nash on improving his offense.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
                          And is fairly versatile as a 3/4 defender.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            So it sounds like Harrison Barnes will not reach an agreement with the Warriors before the Nov 2nd deadline and thus becomes a RFA next off-season;

A Carroll/Barnes wing combo would be great. Lots of versatility, good balance, effective on both ends, team-first type players.

Comment

• I like the idea of Barnes as a Plan C. Admittingly, I just like Barnes (I even liked that rumoured trade a while back to get him at the cost of Amir).
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Barnes vs DeRozan for a big contract offer from Raptors. Who you got and why?

Comment

Working...
                                X