X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't understand people
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      Did you read DanH's post about his post up offence?

You're aware that his rim protection is very good?

And you're ready to give up on him after three years, when he's still years away from full development?
      well, next year is going to be a contract year for him, do we really want to fall into that trap again?

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
        well, next year is going to be a contract year for him, do we really want to fall into that trap again?
        There is no trap

And regardless, that isn't what he was talking about
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

What trap?
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Won't he be a restricted FA though?
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Did you read DanH's post about his post up offence?

You're aware that his rim protection is very good?

And you're ready to give up on him after three years, when he's still years away from full development?
              Have you seen the part where he can't run? Or jump? Or defend on the perimeter?

Read Zach Lowes piece from yesterday about how traditional post players are fading out of existence in the modern NBA.

I love JV as much as the next guy, he has some great skills and elite numbers. But he also has some devastating numbers. Like of JV is such a great rim defender why is the team worse one defence when he's on the floor? Maybe rim protection in the modern NBA isn't a good reflection on how good a defence is?
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                Won't he be a restricted FA though?
                He will be. The trap is having to pay him a max offer because he's big and someone will offer him a max contract. And paying a player that doesn't fit in the modern nba a max contract just because doesn't make sense.

Like I said in a previous post, hopefully JV gets used to moving with his added weight but it's obviously slowed him down significantly and he doesn't have the bball IQ to make up for it.
                Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                  He will be. The trap is having to pay him a max offer because he's big and someone will offer him a max contract. And paying a player that doesn't fit in the modern nba a max contract just because doesn't make sense.

Like I said in a previous post, hopefully JV gets used to moving with his added weight but it's obviously slowed him down significantly and he doesn't have the bball IQ to make up for it.
                  Mozgov got to the NBA finals, and he's pretty slow. Howard and Bogut are both pretty slow too.. and one of those guys will be in the finals as well.

Comment

Have you seen the part where he can't run? Or jump? Or defend on the perimeter?

Read Zach Lowes piece from yesterday about how traditional post players are fading out of existence in the modern NBA.
                    LOL you have to be kidding. The whole point of that article is that post play is still very important, and shouldn't be neglected.

I love JV as much as the next guy, he has some great skills and elite numbers. But he also has some devastating numbers. Like of JV is such a great rim defender why is the team worse one defence when he's on the floor? Maybe rim protection in the modern NBA isn't a good reflection on how good a defence is?
                    Uh, because he's been placed in a scheme that, as the head coach READILY ADMITS, is impossible for him to succeed in?
                    Last edited by JimiCliff; Wed May 27, 2015, 11:13 AM.
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                      The best part about that is that The Raptors wanted him to do it and then claim that now, he's too slow for their system.
                      Oh stop.
                      Not one young man on the planet who is skinny and undeveloped ever "slowed down" when they got fit and put on some muscle density. What a crock. Its painful to read stuff like this. If anything the added physical size and strength would make him faster.

If JV put on 50 lbs of fat, or became muscle bound to the point of losing muscular flexibility then there is an issue. But saying he has put on weight, and it is slowing him down is preposterous if all he has done is added some MUCH NEEDED muscle mass.

You guys man..... honestly.

Comment

LOL you have to be kidding. The whole point of that article is that post play is still very important, and shouldn't be neglected.

Uh, because he's been placed in a scheme that, as the head coach READILY ADMITS, is impossible for him to succeed in?
                        UH! Actually you missed the point of the article. Post play is important and shouldn't be neglected when you can get a defence to switch and you can get a smaller guard on a bigger forward. But he's talking about bigger PGs, SGs and SFs that can take advantage of smaller players guarding bigger guys. That was the whole point about Wes Matthews where he says he loves when PGs switch on him and he just backs them into the post.

Yeah they system might be designed to for JV to fail, but the point is the whole league is going in the direction of that system. Switch everything, and have guys that can defend multiple positions. JV can't do that.

To Planetmars:

Cavs have Lebron, Mosgov doesn't play the size of role JV is expected to play. Bogut is considered an elite defender, JV is not that. JV is better offensively than Bogut but defensively Bogut is much better.

Howard is slow? Really?
                        Because its 2015

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          Oh stop.
                          Not one young man on the planet who is skinny and undeveloped ever "slowed down" when they got fit and put on some muscle density. What a crock. Its painful to read stuff like this. If anything the added physical size and strength would make him faster.

If JV put on 50 lbs of fat, or became muscle bound to the point of losing muscular flexibility then there is an issue. But saying he has put on weight, and it is slowing him down is preposterous if all he has done is added some MUCH NEEDED muscle mass.

Are you kidding me? If anything this is the crock. I don't even know where you come up with some of this stuff.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            Oh stop.

Rather than point out that adding more mass USUALLY results in slower speed and/or agility (in comparison to where they were before) (seriously, look at the body type of most Olympic athletes who participate in any event that predominately involves speed and/or agility), there's much easier avenues to prove this part. Granted, it would be very easy to prove your argument wrong since all it would take is finding one young man on the planet.

Compare JV's speed his first year to the last two on the Raptors.
                            Compare his speed on his national team during his first year versus any of the last two.

If you can come back with the same conclusion that you just had, we're clearly looking at seeing different things. It takes a time to adjust to the new mass on your body and even then, that doesn't even guarantee that you'll reach the same speeds that you had before.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Well some of i I come up with from having lived through it.

Look at the before and after picture of EVERY Superstar professional athlete, in EVERY SPORT and tell me what the common denominator is for differences in the two photos.

Go ahead and tell me it isn't physique so i can laugh a little harder.

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                                Rather than point out that adding more mass USUALLY results in slower speed and/or agility (in comparison to where they were before) (seriously, look at the body type of most Olympic athletes who participate in any event that predominately involves speed and/or agility), there's much easier avenues to prove this part.

Compare JV's speed his first year to the last two on the Raptors.
                                Compare his speed on his national team during his first year versus any of the last two.

If you can come back with the same conclusion that you just had, we're clearly looking at seeing different things.
                                Lemme wait until JV comes in looking ripped first, because that has yet to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X