New Assistant Coach rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    3) Kinda hard to develop without playing time, you can only get so much better in the gym. We do know that Bayno wanted out, which sounds like a rift to me. He was under contract getting paid well as a top assistant, yet he wanted to leave. Sterner just got fired because somebody had to be fired.

4) There are only 30 teams, but the two guys we've heard about us going after were a guy who was already an assistant on one of those 30 teams, and a just fired head coach who had multiple offers. I'm guessing we'll end up hiring someone whose not currently an assistant in the NBA, because those are the only guys attracted by the "only 30 teams" argument. Unfortunately, that's the exact opposite of the kind of assistant we're rumored to be going after, i.e. an experienced assistant.

I'm pretty sure Thibs would have turned us down had we fired Casey, he's going to enjoy getting paid by Chicago while he waits for a prime opportunity, and lots of head coaches get fired every year.
    That's the thing. I think I changed my whole opinion on this after the Bulls press release.

I do also think Thibs would have turned us down but I also think he would have turned down every team. I don't think he is going to enjoy not coaching at all but I DO think he would enjoy Chicago still having to pay him (out of spite) for as long as possible.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
      That's the thing. I think I changed my whole opinion on this after the Bulls press release.

I do also think Thibs would have turned us down but I also think he would have turned down every team. I don't think he is going to enjoy not coaching at all but I DO think he would enjoy Chicago still having to pay him (out of spite) for as long as possible.
      Chicago would still have to pay him regardless if he took another coaching job or not..hed be getting checks from 2 team$
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

He had an offset clause in his contract. Whatever his new team will pay him is taken off the money he's owed from the Bulls. Pretty sure I read that in a few places.
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Chicago would still have to pay him regardless if he took another coaching job or not..hed be getting checks from 2 team$
          I assumed if another team paid him, Chicago would only be on the hook for the difference between what Chicago is paying and what the new team is paying.

Sorta like if Chicago was paying him 5 million and the new team was going to pay him 3, Chicago would only now have to pay him 2.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

at what point does not being able to get assistant coaches become concerning?
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

I think it starts to point out that coaches talk to each other and they don't like what they hear and see.

Especially for a team that will be on its third set of assistant coaches in three years with the same head coach for those same years.
              Last edited by Just Is; Wed Jun 3, 2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Like I said before, assistants are not lining up to be fired whenever things go wrong. When a coach is about to have his 3rd set of assistants, you should start looking at the damn coach not the assistants.
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Did someone say "treadmill"?

Comment

Well this looks bad on Masai.
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Think the entire coaching world didn't like the way masai scapegoated assistants much?

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                        Well this looks bad on Masai.
                        Raptors = Nuggets 2.0

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Raptors = Nuggets 2.0
                          Raptors is where careers go to die.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                            Why would good assistant coaches want to come here when they seen the mess that is going down in Toronto:

1)Your CEO steps down in a mysterious ways a year after getting hired.
                            2)Your team underachieved in the playoffs and are looking to take a step back next season.
                            3)The coach is a stubborn guy that failed to show any creativity during the playoffs to win games and may not have heed the advice given to him by his assistant coaches.
                            4) The GM fires the assistant coaches even though normally the coach gets canned (along with the assistants) and the new coach gets to pick his assistants, instead of the GM. It is also unclear as of yet what direction Masai will be going.
                            5) You got Thibs out there and the Raptors do not attempt to go after him even though he is a winning coach and is considered a top 5 in the NBA.

Seems to me assistant coaches are wary of Toronto for a good reason, they are going where they think they can win and look good.

I have heard from decent sources that Masai didn't back Casey initially because he was interested in getting Thibodeau and after doing background checks throughout the NBA, he didn't get a lot of good feedback about him and then decided to bring Casey back
                            Ball Don't Lie

Comment

Yikes, at this point we're going to end up hiring some teams towel boy as our new assistant. Not to mention we need TWO new assistants.

On the bright side, Denver is looking at hiring Mike Woodson, who is fucking horrible and makes Casey look pretty good by comparison, so maybe the head coach market is fucked. Wish we would just fire Casey and promote Nurse. I bet a bunch of coaches wouldn't mine working with a new coach with a good resume, e.g. Donovan in OKC.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                Raptors is where careers go to die.
                                Not picking on you MixxAOR, you just happened to be where I stopped to write, but boy oh boy. A couple of weeks ago there was lots of talk on this forum about getting Thibs and other "Name" coaches. Now, "Raptors is where careers go to die."

That pretty much encapsulates the Raptors fan's mindset.

Comment

Working...
                                X