No announcement yet.

Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I definitely think Masai's going to make a move at the draft, and after the Vasquez trade last year I have confidence in what he does.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
      We basically have to package both picks to try and move up, there wouldn't be a point in taking 2 rookies this year now that Powell has cemented a spot on the team.

It's good to have young guys but between Bebe, Bruno, Powell and Wright there really isn't room for 2 more rookies on a team that's aiming to contend. So either 1 or more of the above are going to get moved or the picks will be packaged to move up/get a vet, or the 2nd pick is going to be a European kid we don't see for a few years.
      If I understand correctly the Raptors have Biyombo, Ross, Johnson, Scola and JT all coming off the books this summer. Maybe even DeMar depending on what he decides he wants for his life. There's potentially lots of room for rookies and rookies are cheap. By drafting two rookies they can give Caboclo and Bebe the bump up and/or expand the PT of Powell and Wright.

Not to mention that Ujiri is really good at later round draft picks. Who knows, maybe he drafts another Powell who's making less than $1M/yr. but bringing it nightly?

Caboclo and Bebe need their chance next year and so it makes sense that JJ and maybe even Ross aren't back next year. I could see someone swooping in for Ross. Some are saying Evan Turner might get $15M/yr in the new NBA. If get can get that, what's Ross worth on the open market?

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.c...ated-2016-cpr/

You guys would probably find this interesting.
        Are there other past years that can be shown? One year as reference (with more examples of it being non-representative) seems like just noise.

Apollo wrote: View Post
        If I understand correctly the Raptors have Biyombo, Ross, Johnson, Scola and JT all coming off the books this summer. Maybe even DeMar depending on what he decides he wants for his life. There's potentially lots of room for rookies and rookies are cheap. By drafting two rookies they can give Caboclo and Bebe the bump up and/or expand the PT of Powell and Wright.

Not to mention that Ujiri is really good at later round draft picks. Who knows, maybe he drafts another Powell who's making less than $1M/yr. but bringing it nightly?

Caboclo and Bebe need their chance next year and so it makes sense that JJ and maybe even Ross aren't back next year. I could see someone swooping in for Ross. Some are saying Evan Turner might get $15M/yr in the new NBA. If get can get that, what's Ross worth on the open market?
        Ross already got his extension. $11M a year I believe.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
          Ross already got his extension. $11M a year I believe.
          I missed that somehow. Hoopshype needs to get their shit together.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
            Are there other past years that can be shown? One year as reference (with more examples of it being non-representative) seems like just noise.
            Here are the guys rankings for the past two years: http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.c...5-cpr-ratings/ 2015

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.c...t-ratings-cpr/ 2014

Comment

We basically have to package both picks to try and move up, there wouldn't be a point in taking 2 rookies this year now that Powell has cemented a spot on the team.

It's good to have young guys but between Bebe, Bruno, Powell and Wright there really isn't room for 2 more rookies on a team that's aiming to contend. So either 1 or more of the above are going to get moved or the picks will be packaged to move up/get a vet, or the 2nd pick is going to be a European kid we don't see for a few years.
              I think Powell cementing his spot and moving into the top 10 lineup slots makes it more prudent to take a rookie, because we now have another 11-15 spot open in the lineup. Add that to the 11-15 spot opened up by cutting Bennett, and we have room for both picks. If the Knuggets picks is at least backup quality, he is in a 6-10 spot in the lineup, so we have room even for a 3rd rookie. Masai likes to keep young cheap players as the 3rd string, it makes sense financially and developmentally.

You can send young players to the DLeague, 3 at a time, as we did this year to develop Norman. Makes perfect sense to carry 5 players eligible to be sent down.
              Last edited by Primer; Mon Apr 4, 2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• We might have actual room for it, but it seems like a bad idea to have 6 guys with less than 2 years experience (essentially since Bebe/Bruno don't play) on a team looking to contend for the East title.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                  I think Powell cementing his spot and moving into the top 10 lineup slots makes it more prudent to take a rookie, because we now have another 11-15 spot open in the lineup. Add that to the 11-15 spot opened up by cutting Bennett, and we have room for both picks. If the Knuggets picks is at least backup quality, he is in a 6-10 spot in the lineup, so we have room even for a 3rd rookie. Masai likes to keep young cheap players as the 3rd string, it makes sense financially and developmentally.
                  I think rookie contracts have more value now than ever before. Everyone else is getting significantly greater salaries while rookies are not.

Comment

We might have actual room for it, but it seems like a bad idea to have 6 guys with less than 2 years experience (essentially since Bebe/Bruno don't play) on a team looking to contend for the East title.
                    It's only a bad idea if they're not playing well. Norman doesn't have very much experience, but he's playing great, which is all that matters. Norman costs a whopping $650,000, so there is a massive financial benefit to be getting significant minutes from a rookie, and it should be done whenever possible, e.g. the rookie plays well when given minutes.

Comment

We might have actual room for it, but it seems like a bad idea to have 6 guys with less than 2 years experience (essentially since Bebe/Bruno don't play) on a team looking to contend for the East title.
                      We had 5 for the majority of this season (AB) and that's on a team with a vet starter missing most of the games.

There's likely going to be a time or two in the playoffs where our youth is a hindrance but that happens to pretty much every team.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I missed that somehow. Hoopshype needs to get their shit together.
                        Here's your monthly "please, everyone stop using hoops hype, they are in a perpetual state of needing to get their shit together" update.

Please, everyone stop using hoops hype.

Basketball insiders is the only reliable salary source remaining out there.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Ultimate gamblers draft for the Raps- 1st: Skal, 2nd: Maker...Masai's wet length dream come true if they hit & develop along with Bruno into even half of what the hype attached to them is.

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
                            Ultimate gamblers draft for the Raps- 1st: Skal, 2nd: Maker...Masai's wet length dream come true if they hit & develop along with Bruno into even half of what the hype attached to them is.
                            Don't do what Colangelo did and go for the safe pick. I think if you already have a good team going you should have the luxury to gamble a little bit but on 1 pick not both.

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
                              Ultimate gamblers draft for the Raps- 1st: Skal, 2nd: Maker...Masai's wet length dream come true if they hit & develop along with Bruno into even half of what the hype attached to them is.
                              I'd much rather gamble on Luwawu, Ellenson, Chriss, Rabb, or Davis before Skal. I watched Kentucky a bunch and Skal looks like bust city. I feel like anyone high on Skal has never watched him play.

Comment

• I rate Luwawu & Ellenson real high...would love either of them as a pick! especially Luwawu....UK is my NCAA team and I watch Skal alot...saw flashes of what he can do and those flashes were impressive but he was a bucket overall on the year...based on raw analytics and long term development (Bruno projects) Skal & Thon have massive Giannis type upside but Masai rolled the dice already with Bruno...does he do it again? unlikely

Comment

Working...
                                X