Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Pretty obvious to go after Brown if he falls. He won't but that seems obvious. Also, where are all these roster spots for all these players going to come from? Getting Brown doesn't make Ross OR Demarre expendable. They both have jump shots, which Jaylen is still developing.

If they can keep most of this team together (Keep DD and Biz for instance) the Raps are a genuine starting quality 4 away from becoming a scary team. Do they keep either of their picks? Or do they use them in a trade? Should they stash a pick in Europe/Asia? Or fill a valuable roster spot on a kid that will be playing on the 905 with Bruno?

For the most part though I agree on your assessment of the players you like. I disagree some on Ellenson. Scouts don't say he's slow footed. But many do argue that he's not a good defender. Also, another Pat Pat would be awesome. I think you're under valuing his defense.
    Agreed on all accounts. Ellenson looks like one of the only guys I think have a chance of contributing next season. The kid's a gamer from a bball family who looks like guaranteed production at this point - I can't help but think of a young Zach Randolph for some reason.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      Pretty obvious to go after Brown if he falls. He won't but that seems obvious. Also, where are all these roster spots for all these players going to come from? Getting Brown doesn't make Ross OR Demarre expendable. They both have jump shots, which Jaylen is still developing.

If they can keep most of this team together (Keep DD and Biz for instance) the Raps are a genuine starting quality 4 away from becoming a scary team. Do they keep either of their picks? Or do they use them in a trade? Should they stash a pick in Europe/Asia? Or fill a valuable roster spot on a kid that will be playing on the 905 with Bruno?

For the most part though I agree on your assessment of the players you like. I disagree some on Ellenson. Scouts don't say he's slow footed. But many do argue that he's not a good defender. Also, another Pat Pat would be awesome. I think you're under valuing his defense.
      Yeah, there's some criticism of Ellenson's foot-speed on defense, but it would be wildly inaccurate to say he's slow and immobile. Runs the floor extremely well and his offensive footwork is excellent. To me this says that he's got the potential for at least solid mobility and footwork as a defender, but has never had it taught properly. As I've said before about him, he's a guy you need to get in the gym and evaluate how well he can pick up what the coaches are trying to teach him.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
        If we are looking for the best player available, come draft night, we should grab Jaylen Brown. This is how I see the draft goes as of today, April 22nd.

PHI - Ben Simmons - There is no way PHI will pass on Simmons if they are drafting first overall
        LAL - Brandon Ingram - Ingram will follow suit, either he goes No1, no way he slips down to No3
        BOS - Buddy Hield - This guy is the this year's James Harden or Victor Oladipo. Boston will draft him instead of Bender
        PHX - Dragan Bender - Big project, the Suns need a PF
        MIN - Kris Dunn - Minnesota needs a floor general and Kris Dunn comes to mind but they can go after Jamal Murry because of Wiggins
        NOH - Jakob Poeltl - The Pelicans need a big to compliment Davis' game
        DEN - Jamal Murry - Den needs a 2-guard or a point guard in case Mudiay doesn't pan out
        SAC - Ivan Rabb/Sabonis/Ellenson - Sac can use a PF to start or comes off the bench
        TOR - Jaylen Brown/Deyonta Davis (if he falls) or Brice Johnson - Jaylen Brown falls for us, we need to grab this kid, this move makes either Carroll or Ross expendable whom we can use as a trade bait for a big. If Deyonta Davis falls at late 20s, we should grab him but if Davis declares, I see him getting picked in the 10-15 range. Then we still have Brice Johnson, Cheick Diallo, Nigel Hayes, Damian Jones to dangle with.

Best Case Scenario: Jaylen Brown or Ivan Rabb with our first pick and Deyonta Davis or Brice Johnson using our late first round pick
        Worst Case Scenario: Henry Ellenson or Demetrius Jackson with our first pick and a second rounder or no name European player in the late first round.

* Why no Henry Ellenson: The guy is slow and immobile, basically his another Patrick Patterson, his a serviceable big and plays decent ball game but on a good team like the Raptors, his not our franchise PF and we do not need his service beside big guy like him will need 2-3 years before he shows us what he can do. Demetrius Jackson is an awesome player but we have three PG unless we decide to part with Lowry or Joseph, there is no point drafting a PG.
        What? Patrick Patterson isn't slow and immobile
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Welp

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post

Welp
            Smart move for Rabb considering how many PF are projected to go right around where he was. He's got all the physical gifts but his game still needs work, he will probably be a top 5 pick next year in a presumably less PF heavy draft class.

Comment

• Guess we target Chriss?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Smart move for Rabb considering how many PF are projected to go right around where he was. He's got all the physical gifts but his game still needs work, he will probably be a top 5 pick next year in a presumably less PF heavy draft class.
                That's interesting...anyone have a list of how many top 5 picks through the last...say decade or so...were not Freshman?

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post

Welp
                  Ugh.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Damn it. But at this point, he isn't going to be be better then Noguira.

Comment

• Anyone know when the draft lottery is? Something to get excited for assuming Raps lose tomorrow.

Comment

• May 17th.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Anyone know when the draft lottery is? Something to get excited for assuming Raps lose tomorrow.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• If he falls to us we should draft Hield. He can contribute right away and if Derozan leaves he jumps right in and if he doesn't he gives us a way to trade Derozan in a S&T or regularly during the year.

Unless any of these PFs are gonna become great stretch-4s, which from what I've read none seem to be, then what's the point of blowing a top pick on them? Traditional PFs don't work anymore, especially on our team with JV.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                              If he falls to us we should draft Hield. He can contribute right away and if Derozan leaves he jumps right in and if he doesn't he gives us a way to trade Derozan in a S&T or regularly during the year.

Unless any of these PFs are gonna become great stretch-4s, which from what I've read none seem to be, then what's the point of blowing a top pick on them? Traditional PFs don't work anymore, especially on our team with JV.
                              That's why I like Chriss. Super long, quite athletic, talked about as a high potential pick, and plays a new-era PF game - quick defensively, good shooter.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                The thing is that next years draft is supposed to be significantly better than this years draft, so even if he gets better he could easily end up farther back. Although DraftExpress only has 2 pfs in the top 10 for next years draft other than Rabb so who knows. Its kind of a bummer that the Raps have a lotto pick this year rather than last year or next year, just because last year was such a deep draft and next year is very hyped right now (also I'm not very attached to any players this year.)

Comment

Working...
                                X