Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mack North wrote: View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I want to package this pick for an established NBA player.
    It's not a terrible idea, but the question then becomes "who is available and who wants the pick more than what they've got." And the problem is that this is a tougher question than picking a draftee. Like, say "okay, we should use the #9 to get a power forward." Great, but who do you get? Paul Millsap probably isn't available at draft time - he might become available if Al Horford moves on, but that's a month after the draft that Atlanta starts considering that, most likely. Kevin Love is probably available, but the Cavaliers don't want picks, they want players. Thaddeus Young is probably available, but the #9 might be an overpay for him and he doesn't shoot the three so he might not be what the Raptors want. After that, who else is both available and moves the needle?

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      It's not a terrible idea, but the question then becomes "who is available and who wants the pick more than what they've got." And the problem is that this is a tougher question than picking a draftee. Like, say "okay, we should use the #9 to get a power forward." Great, but who do you get? Paul Millsap probably isn't available at draft time - he might become available if Al Horford moves on, but that's a month after the draft that Atlanta starts considering that, most likely. Kevin Love is probably available, but the Cavaliers don't want picks, they want players. Thaddeus Young is probably available, but the #9 might be an overpay for him and he doesn't shoot the three so he might not be what the Raptors want. After that, who else is both available and moves the needle?
      Exactly. There's 3rd-tier guys like Ilyasova (maybe) but then we're back where we started (with a platoon rather than a star).

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
        Chris Bosh?
        I think people forget how good Kevin Love was when he was "the man". Kevin Love as a complementary player is not behind Bosh as a complementary player.

I think Love's problem is more around the coaches and their system. Casey is a lot better coach than what Love has to work with.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          That's pretty harsh considering he's more talented than ANY PF the Raptors ever had.
          Gonna have to say Chris Bosh is a future HOFer. I don't think Kevin Love is.

Comment

I think people forget how good Kevin Love was when he was "the man". Kevin Love as a complementary player is not behind Bosh as a complementary player.

I think Love's problem is more around the coaches and their system. Casey is a lot better coach than what Love has to work with.
            Bosh is a much, much better defensive player, who can defend both PF and C position and hedge on the perimeter. Bosh found way to "fit in" with Lebron & Wade by developing his 3-pt shot and lowering his usage. Love is still finding his way.

Comment

• bosh also got his group of misfits to the playoffs

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                bosh also got his group of misfits to the playoffs
                twice

Comment

I think you're forgetting how good Chris Bosh was. Bosh will be in the Hall of Fame. He could play some defence too.

I'm not sure I understand your point about Casey but I suspect I disagree with that too.

Comment

• Pretty casual but good to see if Ellenson can move his feet at all

Comment

• It was casual but Butler put more effort than ellenson. Ellenson is the one with something to prove.

Comment

• No chance Murray slips to 9

Comment

• Enough with the talk about cinder block foot Ellenson already...he's no where near being like Love or Dirk and the numbers support that. Even the talk of Odom are bad when Lamar was MUCH quicker and athletic when he was young and again ACTUALLY put up better passing numbers than Henry "BJ" Ellenson.

Showing all these crappy youtube vids where he's playing horse or ring around the rosey or some pick up ball at the Y don't change that he shot awful percentages and is completely underserving of the title of being a "shooter" unless you wanna label his percentage equivalent DeRozan a shooter too lol

All this talk of being a shooter or passer is based on what some of you WANT Ellenson to be and not based what he has ACTUALLY done.

#DONOTWANT

Comment

• If we can't package 27, I think bucks would trade 36 and 38.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                              The more I think about it, the more I want to package this pick for an established NBA player.

Casey is not one to play his young players for their first few years, and we're STILL waiting for JV to average 30 mins. FFS.

None of these guys that are likely to be available at 9 really strike me as guys that would get many minutes in Casey's rotation for a good 3 years.

Basically, I'm not going to stress myself out about it, I'll just put my trust in Masai as per usual.

BTW, I'm quite surprised the Ellenson shitstorm is still going on a good 3 days later! Good pro and con arguments going both ways on that guy. I have to admit I only watched one highlight video of him and he looked pretty good, so I threw his name out there.
                              This is where the GM earns his reputation and his money. Ujiri has to figure out how to upgrade the PF position without having to trade the 9th pick. Tough .. yes... Impossible. No...

PPat does all grimy tough unseen things the team needs done. He sets good screens and he can change on dime the direction he sets them in. This is gold for our guards. He plays OK'ish around the basket and needs to hit more consistently that 3 point shot. He is best suited coming in off the bench. For whatever reason thats his comfort zone. So keep him comfortable and demand he continues to improve that 3pt shot and continue set those screens and play better than avg defense.

As a counter to PPat the GM has to find a starting PF that gives us consistent 3 pt shooting and can play decent defense and they have to be able to rebound. There are names out there... Ersan Ilyasova, Marvin Williams, Danilo Gallinari who fit this spec and who are available. To get them we are going to have to trade a current player in the 9 man rotation on a salary dump to free up cap space if we go the FA route, or, that player will go as part of a trade for the targeted player.

If that gets done then at 9 we have to take a player who is going to contribute to the team and should be more than a rotation player off the bench. Its the BPA and by the time that player is ready to materially contribute as a starter the team's makeup will have changed or will be about to.

To keep the roll going you have to add new talent yearly and part of that is you cull some of the other talent that hasn't measured up to expectation or can be replaced by the cohort of up and comers holding down the 11 through 15 slots on your roster.

Planning is always easier than execution. Carry on Masai.
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Jun 11, 2016, 03:53 PM.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                                Enough with the talk about cinder block foot Ellenson already...he's no where near being like Love or Dirk and the numbers support that. Even the talk of Odom are bad when Lamar was MUCH quicker and athletic when he was young and again ACTUALLY put up better passing numbers than Henry "BJ" Ellenson.

Showing all these crappy youtube vids where he's playing horse or ring around the rosey or some pick up ball at the Y don't change that he shot awful percentages and is completely underserving of the title of being a "shooter" unless you wanna label his percentage equivalent DeRozan a shooter too lol

All this talk of being a shooter or passer is based on what some of you WANT Ellenson to be and not based what he has ACTUALLY done.

#DONOTWANT
                                I <3 you, Ellenson is absolute trash.

Comment

Working...
                                X