Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Exactly. If Biz played like this on Milwaukee nobody would think of offering him almost 20M per year. He'd probably be getting 10 or so at the most.

It's similar to the Barnes situation, if Barnes played on Charlotte/Orlando/Portland /Utah etc. This talk about him potentially getting a max wouldn't be a reality
    So much more of it is just the weird cap situation. Masai spent a fair bit last season, now we're still able to get under pretty easily AND sign DeMar to much more.

Playing these two cap jumps properly is going to make and break dynasties. If you can get the right asset pool together then pile on with well-spend money well above the cap, you are going to do very well indeed.

And I think we're right there with this team - young guys on rookie contracts, a couple stars in their prime, another star just about to explode, and top-shelf roleplayers in between.

Back to this draft though, I really think we did what good-great teams should do to get ready for the next onslaught - muscle up. The great teams have always done it - you can never have enough skilled, athletic bigs.

We really have gone from solid inside to extremely solid with a well-played draft. We've gone from needing a starting 4 to just having a ridiculously talented stable of frontcourt players - especially if we keep Biz.

And if we don't, we're just more guard-heavy (with Ross), and that could work too. Interesting times.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Jun 28, 2016, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Big money is all about exposure, not actual improvement. He got seen here, and he got seen doing some incredible things in the playoffs.
      I think if I read you correctly, you think biz did improve? Starter or not he did have the same usage in Charlotte. Not sure what his tov% was there? Yes, exposure no doubt. But Ross got exposure. Waiters got exposure. Waiters will get more than 10m. How much would Ross get? Less than Crabbe imo. My point is, bb and waiters leveraged that exposure by having an impact. Sometimes it's difficult to demonstrate that with stats. Example, biz block on Bron counted as a foul. One of the biggest impact plays in that series. Not to mention all the other ridiculous fouls called on biz wherein he actually challenged the whole cavs front line to contain his physicality. The role of an enforcer doesn't fully show up in stats but the contribution can help define a team identity.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
        I think if I read you correctly, you think biz did improve? Starter or not he did have the same usage in Charlotte. Not sure what his tov% was there? Yes, exposure no doubt. But Ross got exposure. Waiters got exposure. Waiters will get more than 10m. How much would Ross get? Less than Crabbe imo. My point is, bb and waiters leveraged that exposure by having an impact. Sometimes it's difficult to demonstrate that with stats. Example, biz block on Bron counted as a foul. One of the biggest impact plays in that series. Not to mention all the other ridiculous fouls called on biz wherein he actually challenged the whole cavs front line to contain his physicality. The role of an enforcer doesn't fully show up in stats but the contribution can help define a team identity.
        I think Ross would do just fine on the open market as someone could thrive in a different role. His career is as a 11+ ppg shooter, two-way athlete, that could break out in a starting role. His starting numbers - playing out of position - were fine.

In this this market? I don't think he makes less than 11 - that's why he's so tradable.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          I feel like aside from JV and maybe CoJo, you can say this about every single Raptor.
          Did Ross improve? Has he improved in 4 yrs? To me he played best before he signed his extension, particularly in that early Boston game. Then he sucked til about Christmas. Then he had a good stretch to correct his stats back to his avg. Then the rest of the yr every quick reaction oscillated between good Ross and shit Ross. That's been his whole career.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            I think Ross would do just fine on the open market as someone could thrive in a different role. His career is as a 11+ ppg shooter, two-way athlete, that could break out in a starting role. His starting numbers - playing out of position - were fine.

In this this market? I don't think he makes less than 11 - that's why he's so tradable.
            Yeah, I think his contract is at market. Crabbe and waiters will get more.

Comment

• So you were clearly wrong. Looks good on you.

Comment

• CalibreMC wrote: View Post
                So you were clearly wrong. Looks good on you.
                Huh?

Comment

• The Raps either dodged a bullet or Stone was insanely nervous today:

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    The Raps either dodged a bullet or Stone was insanely nervous today:

Hehe, nice stats!

It doesn't mean much yet tbh, it was known that he struggles against legit size, he's very raw. He also can't pass and gets killed by doubles.

He has some tools / skills, but he's going to have a lot of turnovers and offensive fouls before he can contribute, if he can ever contribute.

I think there's a chance that he becomes a good player one day. But even best case scenario, he's a below the rim 5 who can only drop back on pick and roll, a throwback type of player.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                      Hehe, nice stats!

It doesn't mean much yet tbh, it was known that he struggles against legit size, he's very raw. He also can't pass and gets killed by doubles.

He has some tools / skills, but he's going to have a lot of turnovers and offensive fouls before he can contribute, if he can ever contribute.

I think there's a chance that he becomes a good player one day. But even best case scenario, he's a below the rim 5 who can only drop back on pick and roll, a throwback type of player.
                      turnovers = not on court development

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                        turnovers = not on court development
                        sorry, I don't understand what you meant?

Comment

• https://youtu.be/_l1CZzyVwkI?t=6m

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                            sorry, I don't understand what you meant?
                            What I mean is mistakes like turnovers will lead to benching

Comment

• Where Is Siakam?

Anybody else find it strange Siakam didn't get any press or nothing for a first round pick? I mean even Bruno had a little interview/get-to-know the-player session.

Really weird.

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
                                Anybody else find it strange Siakam didn't get any press or nothing for a first round pick? I mean even Bruno had a little interview/get-to-know the-player session.

Really weird.
                                Part of crafting a guy into a 10-year NBA-workhorse. No fanfare. No guarantee that you've got a roster spot after training camp. Get ready for the 905.

Comment

Working...
                                X