• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of reminds me of Fat Lever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Really? Wright's calling card is his defence, and Alston was never much of a defender.

My short list for comps right now is:
      Alvin Williams
      Antonio Daniels
      Chris Childs
      Sam Cassell (lower ceiling though)
      Eric Snow (better offensively though)
      A young Andre Miller with better defense, less offense.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Not sure if Wright will be a great defender thus far. Defense doesn't always transfer from college to pro and his D was based on size and length which isn't that uncommon in NBA PG. Powell's tenacious D looks like it will transfer
        Took me a minute to find the link, but it's on Page 3 of this thread....but his D should translate as it isn't just size based.

Axel wrote: View Post
        Pretty good on my prediction from mcHappy's bragging rights thread. Swap Lucas for Portis (prediction was made long before Lucas withdrew ~ April 29th) and it's pretty bang on.

Personally, I really like the pick. My top priority for the pick was perimeter defence, whether point or wing and Wright can kinda do both.

Shared this link last month in the draft thread (god knows what page now)
        http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/29/nba...y-delon-wright

"8. Don't sleep on Delon Wright. A weakness of college hoops writers, who moonlight as draft analysts, is that we tend to get too bullish on seniors, so take this with that in mind: I'm bullish on Utah's Delon Wright as this draft's late-first/early-second round sleeper. A 6'5" point guard, Wright passes the eye test as a savvy playmaker and long-armed, steal-generating defender (he got the nickname "Sticky" from his old AAU coach for always getting his hands on the ball), and he excels in key statistical categories.

Assists, rebounds and blocks per 40 minutes are some of the college stats with the strongest correlations to the NBA, and college steals per 40 are viewed as a success indicator. This past season, Wright averaged 6.2 assists, 6.2 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 2.6 steals per 40 minutes, pace-adjusted. In the past 15 seasons of college hoops, there were only five other players—overall, not just among draft prospects—who averaged at least 5.0 assists, 5.0 rebounds, 1.0 blocks and 2.5 steals:

~~ Can't post the image but the chart shows D Wade, Lin, Francisco Garcia, Tyreke Evans, Kyle Weaver and Wright, who did it twice ~~

An MVP, Linsanity, a 10-year veteran, a Rookie of the Year and a guy who at least briefly played well for OKC: This is good company for Wright to keep. He was arguably a better college player than everyone on that list except Dwyane Wade, has held his own in Drew League and pickup games with his older brother Dorell's NBA friends for years, and should be able to contribute in a bench role immediately as a pro. Scouts have concerns over Wright's long-range shooting ability, due to his general reluctance to take threes, and the fact that he made just 22.6% of them as a junior, but I think it's a bit overblown. He shot 35.6% from deep as a senior and 83.5% from the free-throw line, which is relevant because it tends to correlate to distance-shooting success in the NBA."

The age thing doesn't bother me. Sure, as a senior, he has less potential for development, but should offer more substance from the get go. And it's not like he is old and only has a few years of shelf life. If we can get a solid backup PG for 10 years at 20th pick, then that is fantastic value imo.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Took me a minute to find the link, but it's on Page 3 of this thread....but his D should translate as it isn't just size based.
          Steals translate but for Wright it hasn't yet. He may eventually slow the game down to start stripping and playing lanes but so far he hasn't shown it

Comment

Steals translate but for Wright it hasn't yet. He may eventually slow the game down to start stripping and playing lanes but so far he hasn't shown it
            He has zero NBA games to date, not sure the word 'yet' can even be used here.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

He has zero NBA games to date, not sure the word 'yet' can even be used here.
              Regular season he might not get any minutes behind Lowry and CoJo. If he's going to show anything it has to be in preseason or practice.

Comment

Regular season he might not get any minutes behind Lowry and CoJo. If he's going to show anything it has to be in preseason or practice.
                Not really. A few preseason games as a rookie won't really mean anything. Whether it's D-League or NBA, regular season games will be his chance this year and even then, he is a rookie so expectations should be tempered.

Comment

Not really. A few preseason games as a rookie won't really mean anything. Whether it's D-League or NBA, regular season games will be his chance this year and even then, he is a rookie so expectations should be tempered.
                  It isn't expectation but his defensive projections out of college. He'll get time in Mississauga but I don't think guys improve greatly defensively in dleague except turning clueless guy into passable NBA players. Whether he is a really good defensive PG is still a question mark and it need to be seen against NBA players. Not souring on him but he hasn't shown great D thus far

Comment

• When guys say someone's college stats project well into the NBA, they don't mean in their first year. They are indicative of skills that will allow a player to eventually succeed when they catch up with the speed of the game. Judging Wright on his ability to transfer his steals to the NBA in his first year would be foolhardy. Doing so based on a few pre-season appearances is insane.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      When guys say someone's college stats project well into the NBA, they don't mean in their first year. They are indicative of skills that will allow a player to eventually succeed when they catch up with the speed of the game. Judging Wright on his ability to transfer his steals to the NBA in his first year would be foolhardy. Doing so based on a few pre-season appearances is insane.
                      Not saying Wright won't be good defensively eventually but there isn't anything that he says he will either.

Comment

Not saying Wright won't be good defensively eventually but there isn't anything that he says he will either.
                        there is four years of college basketball
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                          there is four years of college basketball
                          Which gets erased once guys enter the league and play SL and pre-season.

Comment

Which gets erased once guys enter the league and play SL and pre-season.
                            What? Why?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                              What? Why?
                              The only reason to project is because they haven't faced NBA players. Once they do projections are meaningless. Ross was projected to be a plus defender but his size limits him. Demar was also projected to be a good defender and he is adequate on-ball. Powell has shown an ability to get into defender already even with his size

Comment

In addition to the 4 years of NCAA ball thead mentions, there is the fact that he excelled in specific stats that parlay well to the NBA. So really, we have plenty of evidence to suggest he will be a good defender and only a few meaningless preseason and summer league games to say otherwise.

Frankly, your assessment is at least 6-12 months too early.

Comment

Working...
                                X