No announcement yet.

Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny thing about those cuts - any idea who led the team in possessions finished on a cut? Anyone? Bueller?

You guessed it - Jonas Valanciunas. By a significant margin. Second and third on the team? Amir Johnson and Tyler Hansbrough.

Why, oh why, doesn't Jonas pass to all our cutting wings and guards? I guess because only he and the other bigs move without the ball.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Funny thing about those cuts - any idea who led the team in possessions finished on a cut? Anyone? Bueller?

You guessed it - Jonas Valanciunas. By a significant margin. Second and third on the team? Amir Johnson and Tyler Hansbrough.

Why, oh why, doesn't Jonas pass to all our cutting wings and guards? I guess because only he and the other bigs move without the ball.
      if this is a counting stat, then i would say the fact that Tyler Hansbrough is in your top 3 is a pretty major indictment against your offensive "system"

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
        if this is a counting stat, then i would say the fact that Tyler Hansbrough is in your top 3 is a pretty major indictment against your offensive "system"
        Yep, raw counting possessions.

Jonas was like 5 times any perimeter player, who were all around 40 while Jonas was just under 190 cuts. Vasquez and Lou COMBINED for 23 cuts all year. Heck Hansbrough was almost twice the 4th place player, JJ, at 81 versus JJ's 44. Helps that JJ played as a big a chunk of the time.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Funny thing about those cuts - any idea who led the team in possessions finished on a cut? Anyone? Bueller?

@Scraptor, nice find. However, this is an example of analytics data where I would go with SVG's assertion that data collected on plays have an inherent flaw built in, i.e., they rely heavily on interpretation of the data collector on play intent. When I see JV, Amir and Hans leading the team in "cuts" the first thing I visualize is a guard-big PnR where the bigs know they have no chance to receive the pass as the roller, so they "cut" early to the basket, positioning themselves for the OREB off the inevitable low percentage contested mid-range jumpshot. It's no coincidence those 3 guys were likely our top 3 rebounders.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            @Scraptor, nice find. However, this is an example of analytics data where I would go with SVG's assertion that data collected on plays have an inherent flaw built in, i.e., they rely heavily on interpretation of the data collector on play intent. When I see JV, Amir and Hans leading the team in "cuts" the first thing I visualize is a guard-big PnR where the bigs know they have no chance to receive the pass as the roller, so they "cut" early to the basket, positioning themselves for the OREB off the inevitable low percentage contested mid-range jumpshot. It's no coincidence those 3 guys were likely our top 3 rebounders.
            Actually, those "cuts" are in all likelihood those little duck in plays that the bigs do so the wings/guards have someone to handoff to near the rim when the double comes. Remember, these stats only track possessions FINISHED. So Jonas scored, missed or turned it over via a cut 187 times.

But the reality remains that the vast majority of these "cuts" that are supposed to emblematic of our good player movement is basically just the bigs getting into good position for a little dump off under the rim, not the wings or guards moving without the ball.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Anyone remember watching this game and seeing JV get benched for the final 2 minutes after going 31/8?

Last edited by Matt Damon; Wed Jul 29, 2015, 12:24 AM.
              SPECIAL REPORT: March 27th, 2017, it is now confirmed Lebron James has had both his back and his dignity broken by the vicious swinging right elbow of ruthless heavyweight PF and notorious bad-boy David Lee

Comment

Working...
              X