Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeMar DeRozan: PER Over/Under & What if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taking the under.

I really think the whole 'Demar was hurt' excuse has been overplayed by the media and the fan base. Yes, he was injured and it hampered him a bit, but not to the point that a lot of people are making it sound. He was actually pretty close to most of his career averages in most categories. And let's be honest, it wasn't even the injury that really sent Demar's stats through the floor. It was the way he started last season. It was pretty horrible. Probably the worst 20 game stretch of his career.

Do I think Demar will have a better season? Yeah. I don't see him having such a horrific start. He's also playing for a contract. Do I think that means he'll magically become efficient? No. I think he'll probably have a PER around 18 again, 20-22 ppg on 42% shooting, 25% 3-point shooting, and around 3 rebounds and assists a game. Basically in-line with his career stats with a bit of an inflated PPG because of him trying harder and the team not having as many offensive weapons this year.

Comment

Back to DeMar's shooting, we know he's worked on it, but he's worked on it before. The qustion becomes, how many players who really and truly have worked on the jumpers don't end up breaking 30% and working their way into the mid-30s? I just don't know if it's all that common for players to NEVER expand their range.

Comment

PS - who do I have the avatar bet with for 31.5% Anyone else want to take me up on that one?

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          PS - who do I have the avatar bet with for 31.5% Anyone else want to take me up on that one?
          Just wondering, where does the 31.5% target for 3P% come from. It seems too low to me. Hitting 31.5% on threes would equate to a 94.5 ORTG, which is pretty bad. League average ORTG is 105, by definition, so at 31.5% that rate, DD would be shooting us out of games every time he launched a three. To get to league average ORTG (105), he needs to hit 35% on threes. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

Comment

He wil shoot more than 31.5% for sure ...

Comment

Mack North I believe.

I think he'll just ban you if you win. :P

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                Just wondering, where does the 31.5% target for 3P% come from. It seems too low to me. Hitting 31.5% on threes would equate to a 94.5 ORTG, which is pretty bad. League average ORTG is 105, by definition, so at 31.5% that rate, DD would be shooting us out of games every time he launched a three. To get to league average ORTG (105), he needs to hit 35% on threes. Perhaps I'm missing something here.
                It's an over/under number - it's a reasonable mark, that a lot don't think he can hit, while others are confident he can exceed. It's a 1% increase on his career high. It's the equivalent of 47.25% from 2, which is passable IMO. I'm expecting a little higher, in the 33-34 range, but it is what was agreed upon for the sake of an avatar/sig bet.
                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sun Oct 4, 2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Over/Under DeMar's APG - 4.1

Comment

It's an over/under number - it's a reasonable mark, that a lot don't think he can hit, while others are confident he can exceed. It's a 1% increase on his career high. It's the equivalent of 47.25% from 2, which is passable IMO. I'm expecting a little higher, in the 33-34 range, but it is what was agreed upon for the sake of an avatar/sig bet.
                    I hope his goal is more than 31.5.. he still isn't a threat at 31.5, especially when he only shoots 1-2 threes a game.

Comment

We're talking about a shooting guard who is seeking a max salary. Those numbers are definitely not reasonable or passable on their own. DD getting to the FT line makes up for it, though, and is what is keeping him in the league. But you can't count on FTs in the playoffs or against good teams, which is why we have the endless debate.
                      Last edited by golden; Mon Oct 5, 2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

What kind of stats would DD out up for everyone here to justify paying him 20+ mil?

Just curious

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          What kind of stats would DD out up for everyone here to justify paying him 20+ mil?

Just curious
                          For me we would be talking a top ten player in the nba.

So harden, durant, lebron, westbrook type numbers

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                            I hope his goal is more than 31.5.. he still isn't a threat at 31.5, especially when he only shoots 1-2 threes a game.
                            Why on earth would he set a goal of 31.5%?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                              We're talking about a shooting guard who is seeking a max salary. Those numbers are definitely not reasonable or passable on their own. DD getting to the FT line makes up for it, though, and is what is keeping him in the league. But you can't count on FTs in the playoffs or against good teams, which is why we have the endless debate.
                              I know that Kobe's 45% career FG percentage takes into account his 33% 3-point percentage, but it serves as a reminder that great scorers don't always shoot great percentages (from the field). Free throws - the ability to get them and make them - have a ton of value.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Just curious
                                As long as he averages 20+ points, shoots more efficiently, able to shoot somewhat decently from 3 point range, and isn't so ball dominant, I'm happy.

I was never a fan of his game. I prefer my SGs to be able to shoot and defend, both things he struggles in and the worst part is he has to have the ball in his hands to be effective which stops ball movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X