Has Casey finally learned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    The fun bit about all this small ball talk? Everyone wants to emulate the Warriors. But guess what? They don't go small at the guard position. They go small at the 4 and 5. And putting aside that the Raptors don't have the personnel for it and are foolish to attempt to replicate the strategy - they are doing a terrible job replicating it. Casey throws out 2 points guards, a shooting guard, a 3 and a stretch 4 to go small. GSW have a 1, a 2, two to three 3's and sometimes a 4. One PG.

The two point guard lineup is just forcing guys to play out of their position of comfort and defend bigger players than they should have to. And tends to have the effect on the court of Lowry having the ball taken out of his hands - if you are going to do that, just sit him and get him fresh and healthy, rather than having him out there spotting up and playing defence. You want someone to spot up and play D? Try Terrence Ross or DeMarre Carroll, actual wing players.
    Yeah I was just about to point this out. vast majority of the league plays small ball by adjusting the PF and or C but Casey much more tinkers with the guards. So not even playing into the small ball trend as it were but doing something else entirely. Other than the Suns, not too many teams do this too.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• The GM has already hired an experienced defensive assistant coach from the Bulls and an experienced offensive assistant coach from OKC !!! Either could replace Coach CASEY who is going to be paid anyway, at the drop of a hat ! In the first few months their learning curve about the nature of the different Raptor personalities would be accelerated with Casey being there, so if the change was made one of the new Raptor coached would be much further ahead as compared to starting from scratch at the beginning of the season! Some fans continue to underestimate the ability of MU to see the big picture and think outside the box ! Go RAPS GO !!! Steve Fisher

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Yeah I was just about to point this out. vast majority of the league plays small ball by adjusting the PF and or C but Casey much more tinkers with the guards. So not even playing into the small ball trend as it were but doing something else entirely. Other than the Suns, not too many teams do this too.
        I'd like to add that the suns no longer want to do this because they discovered that it doesn't work consistently

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          The fun bit about all this small ball talk? Everyone wants to emulate the Warriors. But guess what? They don't go small at the guard position. They go small at the 4 and 5. And putting aside that the Raptors don't have the personnel for it and are foolish to attempt to replicate the strategy - they are doing a terrible job replicating it. Casey throws out 2 points guards, a shooting guard, a 3 and a stretch 4 to go small. GSW have a 1, a 2, two to three 3's and sometimes a 4. One PG.

The two point guard lineup is just forcing guys to play out of their position of comfort and defend bigger players than they should have to. And tends to have the effect on the court of Lowry having the ball taken out of his hands - if you are going to do that, just sit him and get him fresh and healthy, rather than having him out there spotting up and playing defence. You want someone to spot up and play D? Try Terrence Ross or DeMarre Carroll, actual wing players.
          The other thing is that they go small at the 4 and 5 to improve spacing. Going with jj at the four actually hurts our shooting. I would agree that we should try a lineup of ross/dc/ppat to improve shooting.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            The other thing is that they go small at the 4 and 5 to improve spacing. Going with jj at the four actually hurts our shooting. I would agree that we should try a lineup of ross/dc/ppat to improve shooting.
            Raptors roster isn't great to go small. Demar doesn't demand a double, teams usually just put lengthy defenders on him. The only player that would demand a double is JV and there are enough shooters to surround him including a stretch 4 that going small just means no rebounds

Comment

• Has Casey finally learned?

Also, when we went small, the offence was the same ISO crap, so it's not like we were actually taking advantage of more passers/handlers out there. Without great shooters out there, all we really accomplished was being undersized inside and hurt on the boards.

Going small should give you some sort of competitive advantage, otherwise you don't do it.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Based on the ORL and MIA games it seems that DC may not have learned.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  Based on the ORL and MIA games it seems that DC may not have learned.
                  I don't think it's fair that you place all the blame on Casey because the players he expects some 3-point shots from can't shoot to save their lives. Although, I disagree with some of the substitutes and plays, I don't blame him because he has no one to stretch the floor so it just leads to constant drive and kick outs until the shot clock runs out
                  Last edited by Simplicity; Mon Nov 9, 2015, 01:24 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
                    I don't think it's fair that you place all the blame on Casey because the players he expects some 3-point shots from can't shoot to save their lives. Although, I disagree with some of the substitutes and plays, I don't blame him because he has no one to stretch the floor so it just leads to constant drive and kick outs until the shot clock runs out
                    All shooter are on squad 2 and all ISO guys except DC starting. Shows the teams offensive priorities

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      All shooter are on squad 2 and all ISO guys except DC starting. Shows the teams offensive priorities
                      I wouldn't say all ISO guys because of Scola and JV. From the games I watched, Lowry and Demar especially have been passing the ball, and usually go ISO mode when nobody else is able to score the ball. The only one on squad 2 that's been showing up is CoJo and James Johnson when he gets the chance to play.

I do think the starting line-up should be changed though and some of the plays should be more creative, as the Raptors have been playing really slowly to start games and it's obviously not working because they play catch up a lot of the time, and that's more tiring then maintaining the lead. If you switch Scola and move Demarre or James Johnson at the 4 or CoJo at the 2, then we'd have JV getting into foul trouble less as he doesn't have to switch up on quicker players and more facilitating from JJ or CoJo.

Comment

Also, I think the starting line-up is more about the defensive priorities rather than the offensive. I don't think Scola and JV will work though, as they're both too slow to defend and it'll end up in fouls or buckets

Comment

• november 9 2015 update: no
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
                            "Live by the 3, you die by the 3." We've got to find other ways to score.

Comment

I don't know. Though I think Scola has the more versatile, veteran game, I think the "who starts" debate was a bit of a non-issue. Either can be used in either role depending on who's hot and match-ups. But Patterson hasn't been very effective, often, yet. Still, 5 and 2 and it's early.

And I don't think Carroll, Biz, Lowry, Scola, Demar CoJo or Kyle have a lot of "quit" in them. Shouold remain interesting. The "D" has been better quicker than I thought it would be. Which hopefully means they can start to focus on offence sooner.

But .... psychiatrists? hypnotists?
                              Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Nov 9, 2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                                "Live by the 3, you die by the 3." We've got to find other ways to score.
                                Think that also means you can't stop shooting if you go 0-5 you will go 4-5 on the next shots. Things even out. Even if they don't just chalk up a loss. You live by the 3 and die by it. Outside shooting isn't something you can do for a couple minutes sporadically

Comment

Working...
                                X