Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Knicks and Denver loss tracker for 2016 Lottery Pick surprise (thanks, Masai)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key games tonight:

Charlotte VS Chicago - hopefully Charlotte can keep it rolling against a banged-up Bulls team

Sacramento @ Cleveland - a possible double-whammy game for the Raptors' quest for top spot in the EC

Denver @ Brooklyn - a possible double-whammy game in the improbable quest for Brooklyn to climb out of the bottom-5 overall and catch NY/Denver

Orlando @ Atlanta - perhaps the Magic can continue their turnaround and contribute to the Hawks' ongoing slide

New Orleans @ Minnesota - time for the Pelicans to beat-up on the cellar dwellers and potentially leapfrog Denver for 11th

Comment

• CRF thanks a lot for doing these updates haha, saves me the trouble of having to look through the standings and figure out the scenarios myself.

This is my favourite kind of tank, hoping another team loses a lot so we get a high pick. Meanwhile, we're going for the #1 seed in the east.

Also it's not impossible that both picks end up in the top 3, maybe this is the year the Raptors get some positive karma. In recent years a few big jumps have happened.

2014: Cavs jumped from 9th to 1st
      2013: Wizards jumped from 8th to 3rd
      2011: Cavs (via Clippers) jumped from 8th to 1st, Jazz (via Nets) from 6th to 3rd
      2010: Wizards from 5th to 1st, Sixers from 6th to 3rd
      2009: Grizzlies from 6th to 2nd
      2008: Bulls from 9th to 1st

Pretty critical to get in the top 10 in odds though. Only one team (1993 Magic - 11th) has ever made a jump from outside the top 10.

If the Knicks/Nuggets end up 6th and 7th last (like you said probably best-case scenario). There's a 21.5% chance of the Knicks moving into the top 3 and a 15% chance of the Nuggets doing so. We'd need both to move up to pick top 3, so it'd give us a 3.3% shot at a top 3 pick. Not great but possible
      Last edited by JWash; Mon Feb 8, 2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• And the Knicks have fired Fisher. Kurt Rambis is interim moving forward.

Edit: Here is the source about Rambis, and also mentions Fisher. Haven't looked into original source of firing yet.

Last edited by Shantz; Mon Feb 8, 2016, 12:20 PM.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
          And the Knicks have fired Fisher. Kurt Rambis is interim moving forward.
          Apparently they were disappointed about how the season has gone. What did Phil expect the Knicks to do? Lmao
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
            Apparently they were disappointed about how the season has gone. What did Phil expect the Knicks to do? Lmao
            I really somehow doubt this if Phil, even if he takes the hit for it. Reeks of Dolan. Big time.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
              I get the feeling it has more to do with the Matt Barnes incident along with Fisher's latest remarks about Rajon Rondo. Being that the Knicks want to attract talent they probably don't want that sort of negative image coming from one of their head coach.

Comment

• Soooooo Fish just got fired....how does that impact our position?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  I get the feeling it has more to do with the Matt Barnes incident along with Fisher's latest remarks about Rajon Rondo. Being that the Knicks want to attract talent they probably don't want that sort of negative image coming from one of their head coach.
                  What did he say?

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    What did he say?
                    Here

Knicks owner James Dolan wasn’t thrilled to hear Derek Fisher say that it wouldn’t be disappointing if the team missed the playoffs in comments the coach made last week on the “The Michael Kay Show” on ESPN 98.7 FM
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Wait so I haven't really been following this pick. How exactly does it work? Do one of either the Knicks or Denver have to end up with a top 3 pick and only THEN do we get it? Or is it no matter what pick they get we definitely no matter what get one of their picks?
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        Meh, maybe the Barnes thing is obviously a problem. Can't have players worried about whether coach will try to sleep with their wife (or even ex/estranged wife). But I don't see how making a move now is any kind of good for a team reeling and their best player hobbled.

I can't imagine the Rondo stuff matters at all, since they actually faced off as players, and Rondo really would be a terrible fit for the triangle anyway. Not to mention it's debatable what value he brings in general these days and I wonder how many suitors he'll actually have in free agency.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                          What did he say?
                          http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...angle-comments

Comment

• Wtf...

How can they fire Fisher? They don't have a playoff caliber roster.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                              Wait so I haven't really been following this pick. How exactly does it work? Do one of either the Knicks or Denver have to end up with a top 3 pick and only THEN do we get it? Or is it no matter what pick they get we definitely no matter what get one of their picks?
                              Basically we get the worse of the two picks, after the lottery.

We definitely get one of Denver or New York's picks. The pick we get depends on which team gets the worse pick after the draft lottery. So say New York finishes 7th last, Denver 6th last. If nothing changes at the lottery, we would get the Knicks pick and Denver would keep theirs. If the Knicks moved up to #1-3 in the lottery, we would get Denver's pick and Denver would get the Knicks.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                                Wait so I haven't really been following this pick. How exactly does it work? Do one of either the Knicks or Denver have to end up with a top 3 pick and only THEN do we get it? Or is it no matter what pick they get we definitely no matter what get one of their picks?
                                There are no restrictions. Denver gets the better pick, we get the worse one. Doesn't matter where they fall. And the swap happens post-lottery, so we can't "jump" Denver. The best pick we could possibly get is the 2nd overall pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X