Game #6 - Toronto Raptors 87 - Orlando Magic 92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Agreed. The game was lost much earlier on the really poor shooting performances by Ross, Pat, Carroll, BB and Scola. Lowry was meh, too. JV was in foul trouble.

Positive takeaway is despite 70+% of the team sucking in some way, Raps had a great chance to win the game.
    How many wide open (and I mean wide open) threes did they miss? Must have been close to 10 if not more.

Still, Orlando did a pretty decent job defensively closing off lanes, etc. The Magic deserve some credit.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      I have issue with what happened there. That was first time ever Jonas got a chance to take the last shot, so he was hesitant which is why he dribbled back out to try and give it back to Lowry and Lowry told him to take it. Jonas had decent post position when Lowry passed it to him, if he took a shot then, it would have definitely been a better shot.
      Hopefully JV has nightmare about it and becomes more alpha dog late in games, demanding the ball.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Hopefully JV has nightmare about it and becomes more alpha dog late in games, demanding the ball.
        Yeah this is where Casey or any of the assistant coaches sits down with him and goes through the tape. I'm hoping that play doesn't lead to Casey holding him accountable and giving him less post up opportunities.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          How many wide open (and I mean wide open) threes did they miss? Must have been close to 10 if not more.

Still, Orlando did a pretty decent job defensively closing off lanes, etc. The Magic deserve some credit.
          Games aren't won in the second and third quarters. If everybody hits the open shots no tell what Orlando does. Good teams win games late in the fourth. Magic did everything they could you give it away late

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            - Isos every possession. Tough shots after tough shots. Even the shots they made were all tough shots. Just ridiculous basketball.
            Raps had 353 passes last night. I saw a RealGm post which indicated that they had 37 potential assists. Guys just missed a tonne of shots, a lot of them wide open. Your comment is invalid.

Comment

Yeah this is where Casey or any of the assistant coaches sits down with him and goes through the tape. I'm hoping that play doesn't lead to Casey holding him accountable and giving him less post up opportunities.
              Turning point in JV career. He either steps up or he needs to sit late. It's almost all psychological now. One thing you have to give Demar credit for is he isn't afraid to take the last shot

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                Turning point in JV career. He either steps up or he needs to sit late. It's almost all psychological now. One thing you have to give Demar credit for is he isn't afraid to take the last shot
                It's one possession from one game where he was working from his weaker side. Talk about overreacting.

*I mean, the other night he buries 4 fts late and had some big defensive plays to help tie the game we stole in OKC. I don't think psychology is an issue.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Nov 7, 2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• The Raps are strange right now, because they bounce between really nice, fluid ball movement, and complete, 100% iso. There was a lot of both last night.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    It's one possession from one game where he was working from his weaker side. Talk about overreacting.

*I mean, the other night he buries 4 fts late and had some big defensive plays to help tie the game we stole in OKC. I don't think psychology is an issue.
                    There is a difference between the last shot and free throws. JV was going to give the ball back to Lowry. If he was psychologically ready, he would have posted up and went for a shot when Lowry passed it to him, he had a better post position.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      The Raps are strange right now, because they bounce between really nice, fluid ball movement, and complete, 100% iso. There was a lot of both last night.
                      I think because since Carroll, Ross and Patterson weren't hitting shots, DD decided or Casey told him to go iso.

Comment

There is a difference between the last shot and free throws. JV was going to give the ball back to Lowry. If he was psychologically ready, he would have posted up and went for a shot when Lowry passed it to him, he had a better post position.
                        Well for 3 years they've been keeping him out of the games late and telling him, and everybody else on the team, that the last shots go to DeMar and Lowry (or guys like Lou, Rudy, Bargs, etc.). Doesn't seem too concerning that he didn't deliver in basically the first time he's ever been in this situation with this team. Sounds like a pretty standard learning experience for a young player growing into a bigger role (and being allowed to do so). Don't think it's a lack of confidence or willingness to take the big shot. Hence not a psychological issue.

Also, while I missed the game I've seen the play. He didn't have great position given what his strengths are and where he was. He was pivoting on his left foot, which makes it awkward for him to plant for a shot because he'd be set even closer to the baseline and possibly at a behind the backboard angle to release from, and means he can't go into his little spin and jump/fade shot without dribbling or else risk a travel call. He pulled out because he is a lot worse from that side and his most comfortable move is the running lefty hook. So in an awkward spot he instead decided to reposition himself to go with his most practiced move.

And I don't see the thing with Lowry as clearly as you interpret it. Lowry passed it to him. On the catch it looked like they might double and Jonas lifted the ball for a sec like he might pass as Lowry stepped back to pull the defender away. Lowry was signalling for Jonas to take it, and I thought that was as much for the teammates as well so they don't try to cut or do anything to clutter the paint. I don't see Jonas looking to get the ball back to Lowry. I fully see his dribble as not liking his position and trying to angle himself for a better move.

Comment

• The bigger surprise was demar not shooting on a point blank layup.
                          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                            The bigger surprise was demar not shooting on a point blank layup.
                            Maybe it's psychological.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I don't know, I didn't see last nights game to add to my judgment here.

But in the first few games, while there is clearly more willingness to move the ball, I felt like there was a lot of ball movement that has little impact on the offensive play. Many plays where there are 3-4 passes made to get nowhere. For example, a play where Lowry might bring the ball up, pass it to Scola who then passes it to JV or another wing. Lowry cuts (so far no clear desire to try and turn this into a play where Lowry scores on the cut) down then comes back up using Scola as a screen and the ball gets sent back to Lowry. That's 3-4 passes (depending on whether there's a handoff from JV to the other wing) that pretty much do nothing. That's an easy way to make more passes with little gain.
                              I first noticed this in the Bucks game and its been driving me crazy ever since. It all starts with the screen setting. Our guys are just going through the motions with screens; looks like it's a practice drill out there. Nearly zero body contact being made between the screener and the defender. Weak down-screens don't effectively free up guys and since our offense basically stops after that, it turns into a one on one ISO or a rushed PnR.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                                I first noticed this in the Bucks game and its been driving me crazy ever since. It all starts with the screen setting. Our guys are just going through the motions with screens; looks like it's a practice drill out there. Nearly zero body contact being made between the screener and the defender. Weak down-screens don't effectively free up guys and since our offense basically stops after that, it turns into a one on one ISO or a rushed PnR.
                                It's about timing and trusting each other. The weak screens is also hurt by guys going freelance instead of using them. CoJo gets better screens because he uses them, alot

Comment

Working...
                                X