Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've hit 25 assists in a game ONCE this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    It certainly doesn't look like we have the 3-point shooting to do what the Hawks and Spurs do.
    Sixers move the ball but don't have shooters. Raptors should do better

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      It's a dribble-drive offense, so our assists are mostly kickouts and dumpoffs...and our shooters can't shoot, and we're starting Bismack Biyombo.
      Just a theory, but I think there could be something else going on. Kickouts as a second option after the drive has been stopped, put rhythm shooters (e.g. Ross, Carroll, 2Pat) at a big disadvantage compared to plays designed to get shooters open shots "in rhythm" as a first option, ala Hawks, Spurs, Dubs,...). The reason is obvious: when a shooter is the 2nd or 3rd option off a dribble drive he isn't as prepared for the shot (feet set, mentally, etc...), because he doesn't know if/when the pass is coming. That's the downside of a dribble-drive offense for shooters. And Lowry / DD have especially bad tunnel vision since they are also proactively trying to get fouled on those drives.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
        See? We have Kyle, demarre and 2pats who can stretch the floor. DD can hit an uncontested 3 in the corner and so can Scola and maybe even Bebe. Ross is supposedly a lights out shooter. We have enough shooting to make it happen. It doesn't need to be as great as the Spurs. I meant the same system not result.

Comment

Assists don't have to be 3 pointers. They can also be layups, or any other high percentage open shot you want. Hit the big man rolling to the basket, bam, assist. Hit the big man who just set a pick for the pick and pop, bam, assist. Hit the cutter going towards the basket, bam, assist. It's not fucking rocket science, it's basic god damn basketball. Unless you're an iso monster, our offense does not put you in a position to succeed.

To really drive the point home, Carroll's FG% the last 3 seasons were .460, .470 and .487. His FG% with us is .394. His ORtg is 98. It was 115, 113, and 117 the past 3 seasons. We're fucking killing him, because we suck smelly butthole at passing. The whole iso is the only way to score offense doesn't work for the vast majority of our team, and I'm fairly certain even Lowry and Derozan would benefit from a more assist heavy offense.
          Last edited by Primer; Fri Dec 4, 2015, 01:21 AM.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            Sixers also never win (except for this one time).

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
              Assists don't have to be 3 pointers. They can also be layups, or any other high percentage open shot you want. Hit the big man rolling to the basket, bam, assist. Hit the big man who just set a pick for the pick and pop, bam, assist. Hit the cutter going towards the basket, bam, assist. It's not fucking rocket science, it's basic god damn basketball. Unless you're an iso monster, our offense does not put you in a position to succeed.

To really drive the point home, Carroll's FG% the last 3 seasons were .460, .470 and .487. His FG% with us is .394. His ORtg is 98. It was 115, 113, and 117 the past 3 seasons. We're fucking killing him, because we suck smelly butthole at passing. The whole iso is the only way to score offense doesn't work for the vast majority of our team, and I'm fairly certain even Lowry and Derozan would benefit from a more assist heavy offense.
              See I'm not so sure. DeMar, Lowry, and Cory are playing phenomenal in Calipari's (ie Walberg's) dribble-drive motion.
              Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Dec 4, 2015, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Casey is very anti-turnovers, and learning an offense with more movement inevitably results in more turnovers, especially early in the year. I could see him opting for fewer turnovers and less movement.

Its nice to say that Ross and PPat would increase our assist totals if they made more shots, and this is entirely true. Also consider though that they likely would also play better in a different offense.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                  See? We have Kyle, demarre and 2pats who can stretch the floor. DD can hit an uncontested 3 in the corner and so can Scola and maybe even Bebe. Ross is supposedly a lights out shooter. We have enough shooting to make it happen. It doesn't need to be as great as the Spurs. I meant the same system not result.
                  Huh? Lol
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Some related stats

The Raps attempt the most FG per game after 3-6 dribbles at 16.3. We hit the 7th worst % at just 38.5%.

They are 9th most for 7+ dribbles. We are 6th best in FG% in this category at 45.2%.

We are 4th last in 0 dribble FGA (catch and shoot). We are tied for 9th worst in this category, but at 45.7%, it is better than the two types listed above.

We are 7th in the league for FGA within 2 seconds of the shot clock. 6th worse in % at 47.3%. For the next few sections of the shot clock (22-18 secs, 18-15, 15-7) we are one of the lowest FGA, but then appear near the top (9th and 2nd) for the late shot clock situations of 7-4 and under 4.

We are dead last in FGA per game that are considered Wide Open (closest defender 6 feet plus away), at just 10.2 FGA. Atlanta leads the league at 21.7. We shoot 5th best in the NBA at 46.3%.

We are 5th last in FGA when considered Open (closest defender 4-6 feet away).

We lead the league in FGA with a defender 2-4 feet away (Tight) (8th worst FG% in this category).

We are 14th in the league in passes made per game.

We are 0.1 APG away from being worst in the league.

We are 0.1 away from being worst in the league at Potential Assists per game

We are 0.1 away from being the worse in the league at Adjusted Assists per game, which takes into account FT assists and secondary assists.

We are 5th worst in Free Throw Assists at 1.8 per game (FT Assist requires the player to hit at least 1 Free Throw).

What do all of these numbers tell us?

That the lack of assists cannot be blamed on Ross, Patterson, Carroll missing their shots.
                    The lack of assists cannot be attributed to the number of times we get to the free throw line.
                    The lack of assists is simply because we do not pass the ball in a productive manner. We swing it around the perimeter until someone drives.

Our passing does not pressure the defence or lead to opportunities.

We dribble too much and don't get good looks because we don't pass well.

This is 100% on the system and the players within it.

#FireCasey now, because this will not work in the playoffs (again).
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                      Huh? Lol
                      I know it sounds crazy but apparently he has a really good mid range jumper and can extend it to the 3pt line almost like Scola.

Comment

I know it sounds crazy but apparently he has a really good mid range jumper and can extend it to the 3pt line almost like Scola.
                        Um? Source?
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                          This team does not move the ball well at all. Only game with 25 assists was against the Knicks when we had exactly 25.

Just to put this in perspective, the top 6 passing teams in the league all average ~24apg or more with the Warriors leading the pack at 29.5.
                          Don't worry, we're 5-0.

Comment

Raps messed up the rebrand, this should've been our new logo

If at first you don't succeed... iso, iso and iso again

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                              Um? Source?
                              1 thing I watched summer league and he has a really good looking jumper and he made a few a step in from the 3pt line. I read it somewhere but I couldn't find it again.

Comment

1 thing I watched summer league and he has a really good looking jumper and he made a few a step in from the 3pt line. I read it somewhere but I couldn't find it again.
                                I can back this up with some of the D League games he played. He shot the 3 with confidence and a pretty quick release.

Axel wrote: View Post
                                Some related stats

The Raps attempt the most FG per game after 3-6 dribbles at 16.3. We hit the 7th worst % at just 38.5%.

They are 9th most for 7+ dribbles. We are 6th best in FG% in this category at 45.2%.

We are 4th last in 0 dribble FGA (catch and shoot). We are tied for 9th worst in this category, but at 45.7%, it is better than the two types listed above.

We are 7th in the league for FGA within 2 seconds of the shot clock. 6th worse in % at 47.3%. For the next few sections of the shot clock (22-18 secs, 18-15, 15-7) we are one of the lowest FGA, but then appear near the top (9th and 2nd) for the late shot clock situations of 7-4 and under 4.

We are dead last in FGA per game that are considered Wide Open (closest defender 6 feet plus away), at just 10.2 FGA. Atlanta leads the league at 21.7. We shoot 5th best in the NBA at 46.3%.

We are 5th last in FGA when considered Open (closest defender 4-6 feet away).

We lead the league in FGA with a defender 2-4 feet away (Tight) (8th worst FG% in this category).

We are 14th in the league in passes made per game.

We are 0.1 APG away from being worst in the league.

We are 0.1 away from being worst in the league at Potential Assists per game

We are 0.1 away from being the worse in the league at Adjusted Assists per game, which takes into account FT assists and secondary assists.

We are 5th worst in Free Throw Assists at 1.8 per game (FT Assist requires the player to hit at least 1 Free Throw).

What do all of these numbers tell us?

That the lack of assists cannot be blamed on Ross, Patterson, Carroll missing their shots.
                                The lack of assists cannot be attributed to the number of times we get to the free throw line.
                                The lack of assists is simply because we do not pass the ball in a productive manner. We swing it around the perimeter until someone drives.

Our passing does not pressure the defence or lead to opportunities.

We dribble too much and don't get good looks because we don't pass well.

This is 100% on the system and the players within it.

#FireCasey now, because this will not work in the playoffs (again).
                                Hmm...I wonder if this has any impact on why all of our shooters (save Lowry) are shooting so poorly...Nah.
                                Last edited by Just Is; Fri Dec 4, 2015, 10:40 AM.
                                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                                X