Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zach lowe did a full on raptors column today- how do they get from "good" to "great"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People forget that Marc Gasol is the best two way Center in the league.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      People forget that Marc Gasol is the best two way Center in the league.
      He is also playing like crap this season.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
        He is also playing like crap this season.
        Maybe he needs a change of scenery. I wouldn't mind bringing in Lionel Hollins if we do trade for Gasol.

Comment

Is Gasol a good fit with DeRozan?

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
            Is Gasol a good fit with DeRozan?
            Gasol fits well with pretty much anyone at his best. He's a center who can play high-post, low-post, is an excellent passer, works well off screens, and defends the rim really well.

My concern is his age when it comes to trading JV for him... is he still at his best? Also doesn't help that he appears to have significantly regressed this season. Inefficient scoring, WS/48 below .100, negative netRTG with a 102 oRTG, and his raw stats are slightly worse too. Doesn't appear to be because of injury or an increase in role either which is worrisome.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
              Gasol fits well with pretty much anyone at his best. He's a center who can play high-post, low-post, is an excellent passer, works well off screens, and defends the rim really well.

My concern is his age when it comes to trading JV for him... is he still at his best? Also doesn't help that he appears to have significantly regressed this season. Inefficient scoring, WS/48 below .100, negative netRTG with a 102 oRTG, and his raw stats are slightly worse too. Doesn't appear to be because of injury or an increase in role either which is worrisome.
              Yeah I'd be hesitant to trade JV, especially the way Gasol is playing this season. Jonas may not get a lot of touches but he has a .186 WS/48, 21 PER and so on, basically he is playing well.

Comment

Is Casey coaching the Gasol/DD/KL team or is it someone else? Personally don't like the idea of introducing a center that would demand touches as it can royally screw up the top 10 offense we have going.

Defensively might work out, but if we're looking to contend.. can Gasol defend Tristan Thompson or Draymond Green? Because that's who he'll need to stop if you want us to be a contender.

If I'm trading JV to win now.. I'd trade him to Miami for Chris Bosh.. or to OKC for Ibaka. Those guys make more sense.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Is Casey coaching the Gasol/DD/KL team or is it someone else? Personally don't like the idea of introducing a center that would demand touches as it can royally screw up the top 10 offense we have going.

Defensively might work out, but if we're looking to contend.. can Gasol defend Tristan Thompson or Draymond Green? Because that's who he'll need to stop if you want us to be a contender.

If I'm trading JV to win now.. I'd trade him to Miami for Chris Bosh.. or to OKC for Ibaka. Those guys make more sense.
                  Problem is OKC doesn't need a big man, They already have Adam, Kanter and McGary, plus Jonas can't play PF. Chris Bosh is 31, his window is beginning to close.

As for Casey. If we trade for Gasol, Casey has to go. No point having a high usage, playmaking big if you're going to have a ball dominant backcourt.

Comment

Oh right I also forgot about the whole thing of it being very difficult to trade JV right now anyway.

Because of the poison pill thanks to his extension. When we trade JV we're only sending out 4.7M while the other team is taking on a cap hit of about 13.7M. You'd have to add about 9M in salary to him to make it work financially. So JV + 2Pat + JJ + Wright/Bebe + picks for Gasol.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
                      Problem is OKC doesn't need a big man, They already have Adam, Kanter and McGary, plus Jonas can't play PF. Chris Bosh is 31, his window is beginning to close.

As for Casey. If we trade for Gasol, Casey has to go. No point having a high usage, playmaking big if you're going to have a ball dominant backcourt.
                      I don't see a trade with Miami or OKC either.. just saying a guy like Bosh or Ibaka makes way more sense than Gasol for the system we have. And Marc Gasol turns 31 in a few weeks.

Comment

Agreed with planetmars. Gasol's best attribute (his passing) at his position will require a whole change in system. And his defense isn't at his 2013 level either. Not worth JV.

Comment

Really the only player we can trade for that will have a significant impact is Horford (If he agrees to re-sign) maybe Milsap if we can pry one away from ATL by offering them players + a few picks.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
                            Really the only player we can trade for that will have a significant impact is Horford (If he agrees to re-sign) maybe Milsap if we can pry one away from ATL by offering them players + a few picks.
                            I wish we could just combine both Atlanta's and Toronto's rosters and call the team the Toronto Hawks. Would create a super team that would destroy everyone.

Comment

Can't see anyone giving up on JV based on all his advanced stats and his simple stats with the opportunities, or lack thereof, he has been given in Toronto.

Is everyone aware Gasol plays 8 minutes more per game and averages 1.5 rebounds less? The same amount of blocks? 5 more points on 5 more shots?

Advanced stats are even more glaring...JV doubles WS/48, 50% better reb%, .602 TS% vs .516, etc. etc.

Gasol is declining whereas JV is actually getting better and is just 23....young enough to have something to build with once the torch is based from Lowry.

There is no question Gasol is a better passer but who needs a post passing when you have Lowry-DD handling the ball 90% of the time.

Interesting enough, last season was Gasol's contract year.

It would be nuts trading JV for Gasol. Nuts.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                Can't see anyone giving up on JV based on all his advanced stats and his simple stats with the opportunities, or lack thereof, he has been given in Toronto.

Is everyone aware Gasol plays 8 minutes more per game and averages 1.5 rebounds less? The same amount of blocks? 5 more points on 5 more shots?

Advanced stats are even more glaring...JV doubles WS/48, 50% better reb%, .602 TS% vs .516, etc. etc.

Gasol is declining whereas JV is actually getting better and is just 23....young enough to have something to build with once the torch is based from Lowry.

There is no question Gasol is a better passer but who needs a post passing when you have Lowry-DD handling the ball 90% of the time.

Interesting enough, last season was Gasol's contract year.

It would be nuts trading JV for Gasol. Nuts.
                                Hit the nail on the head. People also forget that JV is younger right now than Gasol was in his rookie season, and already way better than Gasol was at that point.

Comment

Working...
                                X