The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    So explain this compensation when you lose free agents. So let's say if we want to sign Dewayne Dedmon we have to give Orlando a pick that we got from them after they signed Biyombo?
    The NFL has two types of compensation:
    1. If the player is an RFA and the team doesn't match then they'll get picks from the other club as compensation.
      If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a five-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent
    2. If a team generally loses big in the off-season the league will give them picks usually at the back end of a round.
      Compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.
      http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and...y-draft-picks/

The NFL has seven round drafts, 53 man rosters plus practice squads. So this doesn't translate to the NBA, they'd have to figure out what's right for their league. The main goal would be to somehow compensate franchises for devastating losses such as losing a Kevin Durant.

My idea is that the league defines a star by a formula based on stats and other variables. Then that formula is applied to all FA's. If a player like Durant qualifies under this formula as a star and he walks to the Warriors then they are penalized a first rounder which goes to the Thunder. You could even have it as a one to three star range for the formula. So losing a guy like LBJ might calculate to be a three star and that means a couple first rounders and a second rounder. Where as if you lost a DeMar DeRozan maybe that's a one star and you only get the one first rounder. Something like this would ease the lose to the loser teams during FA.

With something like this in place teams would think wisely before proceeding. If Durant is only willing to sign a 1+1 and the Warriors have to give up three picks to get him, do they do that?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      What does that have to do with the suggested protections for franchises (ie: a franchise tag or pick compensation)?

Absolutely.

The whole franchise was built around him. He walks to the Warriors and in the current system they're not required to provide any compensation. Here's a question for you. When Bosh walked to Miami were you happy with that outcome or would you as a fan have been more satisfied with a S&T or the Heat handing over a pick or two? The Raptors still lose Bosh but in one scenario the Raptors are empty handed and in the other scenario they are left with assets. Which one do you prefer?

This isn't really about Durant, this is about the system. Durant's choice again highlights an issue. The issue isn't caused by Durant. Durant isn't to blame.

This all has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Pass.

Again, you're off the rails. I was referring to paying for a product and receiving the product. I was clarifying a misunderstanding and have gone and picked up another one. When you pay for a coffee at Tim Hortons are you happy with an empty cup? No and if I pay for a Raptors hat I want a Raptors hat. If I pay for league pass I want to watch the games on league pass. If I buy NBA 2k16 I want to a copy of NBA 2k16 to play on my PC or PS4. The league does owe me something, it just depends on what I am purchasing. Understand?
      I think you're the one off the rails here. Would we even be having this conversation if Durant had chosen to stay in OKC or go to Philly instead of joining the Warriors? The circumstances would be the same, the difference being the CHOICE he made.

And the franchise wasn't just built around him, they have Westbrook too who is as big a part of that club as Durant. And like I said, the cupboards aren't bare in OKC.

And you actually think the cap jump and the salary construction of GSW's roster has nothing to do with this? Again, very unique circumstances for a team of that caliber to be able to afford to land a player of Durants caliber in free agency. If those circumstance didn't exist, we wouldn't be arguing.

And hey man, you can still purchase league pass and watch ball games next season. Just cause you think nobody is gonna beat GSW, doesn't mean you can't pay for league pass and watch the games. The screen won't be black lol. There will still be a product to pay for and receive, but hey if you don't like the product, don't pay and support the league. That's your choice too. Understand? Empty coffee cup lol...c'mon...and btw, the Raps did receive compensation when Bosh left in the form of two 1st rounders and a trade exception.
      Last edited by JawsGT; Tue Jul 5, 2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        PF Christian Wood is doing good in the D-League again this year. Liked him in the draft last season, but apparently he's a bit of headcase. Seems like a Masai type of player, though. Nice wingspan, athletic, mobile, rim-protector and can shoot the 3. That's a rare combination of potential skills, although still quite raw. Swap him for Bebe, perhaps?
        I like Bebe but we should be able to pick up Wood without having to drop Bebe. Wood I've been high on since prior to his draft.

The head case issue might be real though.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
          Apollo, I don't understand? Can you give me 26 more analogies? One for every letter of the alphabet, in reverse order, starting at Z.
          For example:
          If I buy a zebra and you paint black stripes on a white horse...
          I'm just playing.
          LOL I have one for every letter. Where do I start.

Comment

• Jimmy butler available. Any chance we could sell the farm for him and some picks?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              At some point you have to start planning your team building around the assumption that you are going to be healthy. Yes, it's nice to be able to rebound a bit if you lose a guy, but ultimately to make real noise teams need to be healthy.
              You're right. It's just that injuries are inevitable. Especially with guys who have a history of getting injured a lot. So to expect Carroll to get injured again is not crazy thinking. Maybe not as serious of an injury as he had but still.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                LOL I have one for every letter. Where do I start.
                We've created a monster. The NFL draft is like 100 Rds so I can't see it working seamlessly. I've only skimmed this novel in progress so maybe that's been pointed out? Maybe they have to give a pick or offer a small contract like bebe?

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                  You're right. It's just that injuries are inevitable. Especially with guys who have a history of getting injured a lot. So to expect Carroll to get injured again is not crazy thinking. Maybe not as serious of an injury as he had but still.
                  Carroll played 70+ games for two straight seasons before he came to the Raps. Seems like his history of getting hurt a lot is one injury from a year ago that lingered into this season. To build a team that can win you need top tier talent - you can't have that everywhere AND be three deep in quality NBA players at every position. As it is, we have loads of wings, and should probably bring JJ back for some forward depth, but we don't need to be prioritizing SF over PF (where we currently project a rookie PF/C to be taking up 15-20 minutes) or C (where we currently project another rookie scale player with minimal experience to be taking up 15-20 minutes).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Did Masai go to gsw? Wtf is happening? I'm gonna cheer for the 905 this year unless fredette goes to chase dleague rings in Santa Cruz. Do you get a ring in the dleague? An onion ring? Better be from A&W.

Comment

• Ah, you get an assistant manager job at A&W, then you get some rings. Got it.

Comment

• If fredette leaves to go to A&W then I'm burning his jersey and he owes me onion rings. I've learned so much on this forum today.

Comment

• Also, ellenson can't shoot.

Comment

• It does feel like the teams that were ahead of us have now distanced themselves from us further. This years free agency seems like something MU wasn't prepared for as the going prices were not something we were able to compete with.

Comment

• Haven't paid attention to this argument, but Apollo we did actually sign and trade Bosh to Miami. We got our pick back from the draft we picked JV in. We'd originally given it up to Miami when we traded for Shawn Marion.

Comment

• Denver has topped Heat's offer by $10M

Comment

Working...
                                X