The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    A lot of people were high on Jones, not just here.

Zach Lowe a year ago
    yep, i remember that article. probably the only time i read something from Zach Lowe and thought 'wtf are you talking about?' actually he might've written something about Jones twice, because I seem to remember even more hype.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
      Lol Terrence for the minimum. How long before most of this board loses their minds
      People here likes to overrate other teams players. Terrence Jones is not that good.

Sullinger > Jones. Anyday of the week and twice on sundays.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        true it is different. Still for the raptors so happy that we have a good player WANTING to be here

Haha....look what I found...posted by none other than our own Dr. Naismith a few years ago. THe internet doesn't let it go does it?

The All-Time Raptor no-shows...or wanna be no-shows. Yes, times have changed!

Point Guard: BJ Armstrong (1995)

Armstrong was selected from the Chicago Bulls with the first overall pick in the 1995 Expansion Draft. Armstrong refused to report for training camp and the Raps eventually sent him to the Golden State Warriors for Carlos Rogers and Victor Alexander.

Shooting Guard: Kenny Anderson (1998)

The Raptors acquired Anderson, Alvin Williams and Gary Trent from the Portland Trail Blazers in the Damon Stoudamire deal. Anderson refused to report to Toronto, so just five days later he was shipped to Boston with Zan Tabak and Popeye Jones for Chauncey Billups, Dee Brown, Roy Rogers and John “Big Kitchen” Thomas.

Small Forward: John Salmons (2006)

In the summer of 2006, the 6-foot-6 combo guard had agreed to a sign-and-trade that would see Salmons leave the Philadelphia 76ers for the Toronto Raptors. But less than a week later, Salmons had backed out of the deal saying that the Raptors weren't a good fit for him. Salmons would eventually sign with the Sacramento Kings.

Power Forward: Alonzo Mourning (2004)

The Raptors acquired Mourning in the infamous Vince Carter trade. From the outset, Mourning refused to report to Toronto and many insisted that he was finished as a player. Toronto bought out the final two years of Mourning's contract, making him a free agent. Mourning promptly signed with the Miami Heat and would go on to win an NBA championship with Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal.

Centre: Hakeem Olajuwon (2001)

Ok, so Olajuwon actually did show up, but only in the most literal sense. The Dream played just 61 games for the Raptors, but he had checked out long before that. The Raptors sent the Rockets two draft picks for Olajuwon – one of which ended up becoming Bostjan Nachbar. Olajuwon, named to the 50 greatest NBA players of all-time, put up the lowest numbers of his career with Toronto, averaging just 7.1 points and 6.0 rebounds.

Bench:

Herb Williams (1996): Williams was acquired with Doug Christie from the Knicks for Willie Anderson and Victor Alexander. At first, Williams refused to come to Toronto, but the Raptors informed him that if he didn't play the team would be forced to forfeit a game because it didn't have enough players. Williams ended up playing 31 minutes that night and was quickly waived so he could rejoin the Knicks.
        http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/all...-team-675.html

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          People here likes to overrate other teams players. Terrence Jones is not that good.

Sullinger > Jones. Anyday of the week and twice on sundays.
          For now, absolutely. Sullinger is a good player but he also isn't going to get much, if at all, better.

Jones is a long term project that could fill a lot of needs. Sullinger is a one year stop gap who is likely playing elsewhere next year (either traded or walks in free agency since we don't have bird rights).
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Jones got 1yr/10m on realgm mock

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              For now, absolutely. Sullinger is a good player but he also isn't going to get much, if at all, better.

Jones is a long term project that could fill a lot of needs. Sullinger is a one year stop gap who is likely playing elsewhere next year (either traded or walks in free agency since we don't have bird rights).
              I'd rather bet on Sullinger's upside, Sullinger needs liposuction, Jones needs a heart and brain transplant, much more complicated.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                I'd rather bet on Sullinger's upside, Sullinger needs liposuction, Jones needs a heart and brain transplant, much more complicated.
                I'd rather bet on Sullinger's status quo than his upside. He's a good player but he'll never be great and that's cool. Unfortunately, he's on a 1 year deal with no bird rights. I would have loved to have scooped him up to a 3 year deal but then the price would have been much higher. Sully saw an opportunity to start (with playoff games) and decided to take a 1 year "show me" deal. Smart move on his part as long as he stays healthy.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Pelicans won't have Jones' bird rights either.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• The 2016 Offseason thread

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    Pelicans won't have Jones' bird rights either.
                    True but in terms of player vs player eval, these are two very different players in terms of development.

Plus the Pelicans might have cap space and not need bird rights to retain.

Comment

The two are actually the same age. This team needed someone who could help contribute right away and they got that in Sully. Jones would've been in the exact same situation signing a 1 year deal here as well, just with less of a chance of helping the team.

Comment

• Terrence Jones for the minimum is a steal

Comment

True but in terms of player vs player eval, these are two very different players in terms of development.

Plus the Pelicans might have cap space and not need bird rights to retain.
                          I just think Jones is an empty stats guy and just doesn't help you win. Disappears, soft, bad on defense, slows you down on offense, not a shooter. He had 4 years already, I'm not sure he improved at anything. For a 4 year player, he's clueless on defense.

He's a cute player, good for a highlights video.

Not sure that there's upside in Sullinger, but it would be interesting to see what he could do if he got into good shape.

Comment

• @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Perception vs reality. He's been more efficient in a starting gig his whole career as opposed to coming off the bench.

Comment

• Man, that little sliver of respect I had for Durant? Gone.
                                "They're not going to get up at 9 o'clock in the morning and work on their game for me. I've got to do all of that on my own. I can't worry about people on the outside. I've got to go to sleep at night, I've got to get up and I've got to perform. I've got to do all that stuff. It is what it is."
                                My goodness.. He wakes up at 9am guys!! That's 2-3 hours after most of the working world wakes up, but hey, he's gotta work on his game, and no one else is gonna do that for him.........

Comment

Working...
                                X