Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    None of this makes any sense.

JV had a terrific year other than the injuries and was great in the playoffs. Regardless of whether you guys like how he is utilized or not he is extremely effective even at 20%USG. You don't trade a cheap, young big because Casey can't integrate him into the offense/defense, which, also makes no sense, cause, again, he was a huge part of a 56 win team, so he clearly is integrated just fine if not to the extent some people would like. I don't follow that reasoning at all. I mean, so, if they can't get him the ball four more times a game they make a huge trade and reconstruct the roster to replace him with Poeltl who will be seamlessly integrated? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Casey doesn't want developmental projects? Guh? They have Bebe, Caboclo, Powell, Wright, Poeltl, Siamka all on the roster. All of those are projects to one degree or another. They pretty clearly have 3-4 spots on the roster available for young players. Again, don't see this at all....

I'm not saying JV cannot or will not be traded but this rationale won't be the reason for it either way.
    Ahem...

Earlier in the season, Ujiri mentioned that with Lucas Nogueira, Norm Powell, Delon Wright, and Bruno Caboclo his team had plenty of young players as it is, and that he isn't interested in adding any more development projects.

Which makes his current situation, owning not one but two first round picks (including one in the lottery at no.9 overall, courtesy the New York Knicks) interesting. Here's what Ujiri had to say about his draft options:

"Looking at it, I don’t know there’s any player, and there might be, our guys...are working their butts off to figure out what kind of players there will be at nine, at 27. Do we draft a guy and hold him out for a year? Do we trade the picks? We’re happy to have these options. We’re appreciative to have these options on our table. I don’t know that our coaches are going to be pushing for two young guys on our team
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...eason-targets/

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Completely disagree. I think JV is one of the last players you consider trading. He's the key to future success for the team, and frankly drives a lot of the current success the team has.
      Yeah I find it hard to see Poeltl as his replacement. Maybe if he starts dominating the league, but it wasn't long ago that JV was the best player on the floor for the Raps in a seven game series. I do admit, with the talk of playing Poeltl at the 4 with JV, I think we fail to consider that probably kills spacing for DD.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        Yeah I find it hard to see Poeltl as his replacement. Maybe if he starts dominating the league, but it wasn't long ago that JV was the best player on the floor for the Raps in a seven game series. I do admit, with the talk of playing Poeltl at the 4 with JV, I think we fail to consider that probably kills spacing for DD.
        Assuming our starting 5 will be Lowry/Derozan/Carroll/Poeltl/JV, we have KL and DC who can hit threes. Additionally, Poeltl has shown that you at least have to respect it. I think the whole spacing issue is a bit overrated. I think it only becomes a problem when you only have 1 threat in the lineup.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          Ahem...

Right, but whether Casey wants these guys or not Ujiri keeps drafting them.... And again, I guess there's different levels. If Powell and Bebe, for example, move into the rotation, Poeltl and Siamka take over their old spots.

I'm sure the coaches would like 15 vets but they don't determine personnel moves even if they have input.

Comment

I'm usually one of those pro-spacing, and I do like it better as a unit without DeMar, but I think it's workable. Poeltl and JV both have stretch games, and you can use them to pull any big defenders out of the paint for DeMar to work.

Or, alternatively, the one good 3pt shot for DeMar is the catch and shoot 3, which gets opened up a lot working with these two.

And as a third option, if you keep Ross you can run it as a transition group with Lowry/Ross/Carroll/Poeltl/JV for stretches, for a long defensive lineup that stretches the floor around the big guys.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
              Assuming our starting 5 will be Lowry/Derozan/Carroll/Poeltl/JV, we have KL and DC who can hit threes. Additionally, Poeltl has shown that you at least have to respect it. I think the whole spacing issue is a bit overrated. I think it only becomes a problem when you only have 1 threat in the lineup.
              And how has the guy that took one college three shown that you have to respect his NBA three point jump shot? His jumper shows some promise in workout videos I've seen, but still those are a few minutes long against no defenders. I would be shocked if you had to respect this guys jumper in his first NBA season.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                I'm usually one of those pro-spacing, and I do like it better as a unit without DeMar, but I think it's workable. Poeltl and JV both have stretch games, and you can use them to pull any big defenders out of the paint for DeMar to work.

Or, alternatively, the one good 3pt shot for DeMar is the catch and shoot 3, which gets opened up a lot working with these two.

And as a third option, if you keep Ross you can run it as a transition group with Lowry/Ross/Carroll/Poeltl/JV for stretches, for a long defensive lineup that stretches the floor around the big guys.
                Those examples all rely on the bigs to draw attention to make room for DD, which we have not shown to do in the past. I could see your examples working, but thats so different than how we have used our front court last season. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Those examples all rely on the bigs to draw attention to make room for DD, which we have not shown to do in the past. I could see your examples working, but thats so different than how we have used our front court last season. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
                  Like I've said elsewhere, I see a ton of potential here, but my concern is that it almost all relies on Dwane Casey's offensive creativity. Which are words that it hurts me to put together.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    Right, but whether Casey wants these guys or not Ujiri keeps drafting them.... And again, I guess there's different levels. If Powell and Bebe, for example, move into the rotation, Poeltl and Siamka take over their old spots.

I'm sure the coaches would like 15 vets but they don't determine personnel moves even if they have input.
                    Now, if Poeltl can come in right away at PF and fit in with JV, then that's a completely different story. Huge win for the Raps if that happens. Kind of like our version of Myles Turner.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Poeltl interview sound bites from May. Keep this in contexts now though, it's a Lakers reporter asking questions in regards to the Lakers:

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2016...like-pau-gasol
                      High basketball IQ.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

And how has the guy that took one college three shown that you have to respect his NBA three point jump shot? His jumper shows some promise in workout videos I've seen, but still those are a few minutes long against no defenders. I would be shocked if you had to respect this guys jumper in his first NBA season.
                        So true. Even guys who shoot the 3 well take time to earn the stretch factor where defenses will actually respect their shots. Marvin Williams has turned into a pretty good 3 pt threat over the past few years, This quote is prior to last season:

but Williams is a sniper from the corners, where he made 47 percent of his attempts.

Here's the issue: No one respected him out there. According to SportVU player-tracking data provided to ESPN Insider, Williams' gravity score was well below-average for his position even though that was his primary job -- to keep the defense honest. For reference, his stretch indicators were nowhere near the respect ratings of the Ryan Andersons and Channing Fryes of the NBA.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Well if they don't respect it, we'll have a repeat of this past season when Scola was allowed to shoot wide open threes and hit them at a decent clip. Based on that video posted earlier today I would assume Poeltl can knock down completely uncontested shots.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                            Easy there, Dan. I didn't say I wanted to trade JV. I would dearly love to see a balanced inside-outside approach, integrating JV more into the offense.

But I'm not Dwane Casey or Lowry or Derozan, and they call the shots. I'm just highly speculating what I think the repercussions of drafting a guy like JP has on future roster moves, based on what we've seen from this coaching staff and team style of play. IMO, I don't think Casey would shed a tear at moving JV and Masai would view that as a valuable trade chip. Just to re-iterate - that's the opposite of what I would like to see.
                            Nobody is dumb enough to trade jonas valanciunas because Dwane "pound the rock" "smallball with no shooters" Casey can't figure out how to run an offence that uses him. Well, maybe Sacramento.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                              Well if they don't respect it, we'll have a repeat of this past season when Scola was allowed to shoot wide open threes and hit them at a decent clip. Based on that video posted earlier today I would assume Poeltl can knock down completely uncontested shots.
                              you can find videos of almost every nba player knocking down uncontested 3s over and over in practice.

Comment

• This wasn't a very sexy pick and I was hoping for something exciting.

But it was a safe pick with a simple strategy. Ujiri expects Poeltl to be the best player in 3-4 years that was still on the board. Basically, that factors in all outcomes and an arbitrary assessment of the probability of reaching each one.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X