X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9. Toronto Raptors (from Denver)
    Jakob Poeltl | C | Utah
    Sophomore | 20 | 7-1, 242
    The lowdown: True center with an old-school game who made good on his decision to return to school with a very productive year. Quite mobile for a post player. Scored efficiently as the roll man in the pick-and-roll and from the post with a reliable hook shot. Hasn't shown much offensive ability away from the rim. Very sound defender and diligent rebounder. Lack of length, strength and toughness hurt him at times last season.
    Y Sports grade: C+
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vertica...225600711.html
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Really good breakdown , that shows real concerns in some areas however.

8:23 - " his next team has to give him post touches, because he won't be as effective without them"

Well then this will be a problem.

Comment

• Welp.. even if he can't play with JV, having at least 1 low-post presence on the floor for 48 minutes can't be a bad thing.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Really good breakdown , that shows real concerns in some areas however.

8:23 - " his next team has to give him post touches, because he won't be as effective without them"

Well then this will be a problem.
            If JV can't get them after 4 years, then yea... that does post a serious problem. I'm placing all my trust in Masai.

Comment

• You know I heard the comparison to Chris Kaman but Kaman is very slow and heavy on the feet. I also heard the comparison to Pau Gasol but Pau offensive game is much better and let's face it he ain't Pau. To me he reminds me of a taller version of David Lee, let's hope his defence is much better.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                You know I heard the comparison to Chris Kaman but Kaman is very slow and heavy on the feet. I also heard the comparison to Pau Gasol but Pau offensive game is much better and let's face it he ain't Pau. To me he reminds me of a taller version of David Lee, let's hope his defence is much better.
                This seems a more reasonable comparison. Watching in-game tape and he seems to have a much better defensive presence, particularly on switches against smaller opponents.

Comment

• morning coffee has a quick video of him nailing 3 3s in a row

Comment

• I slept on this pick a little.. If his passing game is on par then I wonder if we can get a little Gasol/ZBo out of Poeltl/JV.. with Poeltl playing the Gasol role?

What really sucks though is the ride&die philosophy that Casey preaches. Because you can't have two bigs that clog the paint but also play a heavy guard offense at the same time. Something will break.

I'm clinging on to the hope that Atlanta loses Horford in free agency. Not sure if it will happen but if it does, Atlanta may consider trading Millsap so that they can rebuild. And they may want a center and a PF that can replace them (sort of). A Ross/Poeltl/2Pat package might be exactly what they'd want.. two shooters that fit Bud's system.. and a young big that can rebound and pass.

Comment

• There's also a chance that the reason he didn't take jump shots in college and relied on his post-up game because that's what he was asked to do.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Didn't casey say in he would play a little 4 in the post draft presser? I think they are gonna give it a go. If he thrives, he's our 4. If he doesn't he can probably play spot minutes at 4 depending on in game adjustments. But I don't think we should get hung up on positions at this point. It's all part of the raptors tool box. He seems versatile so i'm excited.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Yeah I'm a little perplexed by the talk about Poeltl at the 4, it seems fairly obvious that Poeltl projects to be a centre, especially in today's NBA.

Here are some NBA writers' NBA comparisons:

Jonathan Wasserman: Andrew Bogut, Jonas Valanciunas, and Timofey Mozgov.
                          Jonathan Tjarks: Tyler Zeller
                          Fran Fraschilla citing NBA scouts: Omer Asik
                          NBAdraft.net: Andrew Bogut

Draft Express in their weaknesses video specifically cited his lack of versatility. Here are their quotes:
                          "Strictly a center. Not overly advanced on the block."
                          "Took four jumpers all year, limiting his face up game."

I think the real question about Poeltl next year is whether Casey gives him more than 10 minutes a game, choosing instead to go small ball when Jonas is off the court.
                          I was wondering if anyone else would bring up that he's only taken 4 jumpers during his time last year in the NCAA. I really don't understand where this talk of him at the 4 is coming from.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                            There's also a chance that the reason he didn't take jump shots in college and relied on his post-up game because that's what he was asked to do.
                            This is the hope but, at the same time, taking open jumpers in a practice are not the same as taking them in an actual game.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                              I was wondering if anyone else would bring up that he's only taken 4 jumpers during his time last year in the NCAA. I really don't understand where this talk of him at the 4 is coming from.
                              Cuz casey straight up says they are gonna try him at the 4 in the post draft presser.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                                This is the hope but, at the same time, taking open jumpers in a practice are not the same as taking them in an actual game.
                                I get what you're saying, but if it's something that's in his skillset but wasn't part of the gameplan, would explain why he took some jumpers in international play.
                                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Working...
                                X