Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    I think you underestimate how good cojo is. I am not saying he is a top notch starter but he could start on a team. He is not a 3rd stringer for sure. I like the idea of JV +.... I may have even suggested it lol.

either way like you said they are our targets.
    The JV deal came from a hashtag bball article, as far as I know.

3rd stringer was referring to bebe. I don't dislike cojo but he's only guaranteed for one yr. If he's starting its as a stop gap. Charlotte has Kemba. They could find a replacement level player to play 15mins as a backup, under cheap/long term control.

Imo, if you're serious, it's better to post on a Charlotte blog and see how they react. As a raps fan, I'm on board but I doubt they are. Not saying it's a bad idea, I like it.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      You guys are talking about the Locked On NBA Mock Draft...Lamb doesn't move the needle for me.

I guess it's close enough to the draft that putting my list of players I want the Raps makes sense.

I've been looking at longer players that can switch 3-5 on defense and stretch the floor on offense. That rules out a bunch of high quality gus 6-5 and under. The Raps have Powell. None of those guys are Norman Powell.

Unless Jonathan Isaac slips and the Raps can move up for him, or Jackson falls these are my guys (in order)

1/ Jonah Bolden -- Needs to add muscle, sometimes he slacks off on defense, but this guy can handle the ball a bit, run plays, stretch the floor, guard 3-5, play some post... a little older...

2/Jordan Bell -- A really mobile, effort PF who can switch and I can see him adding a 3 with that form.

3/Tyler Lydon -- I know, I know he needs to spend hours in the tape room. Some of his defense was atrocious at Syracuse, but I see him at the perimeter (he has the athleticism) only guarding 4s on switches and rarely in the paint (where he needs to work on boxing people out). He's young enough, that a season with Stack and the 905 would do him some good. This is an athletic kid who can easily pick and pop, or fade to the corner. For the first couple seasons that's fine

4/ OG Anunoby -- Here's the thing. In an earlier post someone told me that he could mature into Kawhi. That's fair, but players rarely reach their ceilings. Furthermore, I watched a lot of SDSU the year Kawhi was there. Dude was cerebral for a kid. I was on the hype train for him in that draft. OG has the physical makeup, but I'm not convinced he has the cerebral part of his game. Plus he has a mystery injury. Plus his shooting stroke needs a lot of work.

5/Semi Ojeleye -- If I saw him more as a SF and not an undersized PF he would be top of my list. If I thought he was a better passer at the PF spot he would be higher on my list. I think he's really smart, and that might eventually find it's way on the court. But, it might not.

6/DJ Wilson
      7/Terrance Ferguson (do not pass Go, go straight to the G League)
      8/Kyle Kuzma
      9/Devin Robinson (would be a reach but fits the same MO as everyone else on my list)

Thoughts?
      I got OG 1, Bell more distant 2. There's a glut of guys after that I like about the same. Evans probably the most but he doesn't fit. I like Donovan Mitchell but I doubt we can get him.

Comment

• I think OG can get to Kawhi or Ron Artest level defensively. Not much offense now, but that defense would be good at a late pick.

He seems like a high floor pick. I think at worst, we'd get a better James Johnson.

I like Donovan Mitchell and Luke Kennard, but they seem to be projected higher.
        Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Jun 18, 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Are you scared yet? Because the Celtics are almost certainly going to be terrifying next year.
          I've been reading this for at least 3 off seasons now. I will believe it when I see it.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            I think OG can get to Kawhi or Ron Artest level defensively. Not much offense now, but that defense would be good at a late pick.

He seems like a high floor pick. I think at worst, we'd get a better James Johnson.

I like Donovan Mitchell and Luke Kennard, but they seem to be projected higher.
            I'm with you. I don't have Kennard in the same tier but I like his shooting and passing.

I like bell and Evans as fall backs and some interest in anigbogu and Bolden as projects.

Comment

• Celtics / 76ers trade now official

Celtics trade the #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft for the #3 overall pick in the 2017 draft, as well as the LA Lakers (held by Philadelphia) first round pick in the 2018 draft should the pick fall outside the #2 to #5 overall range (I believe Lakers retain the 2018 first round pick if it ends up being #1 overall - but not sure). If the Lakers pick is not passed to the Celtics, then the Celtics would receive the first round pick of the Sacramento Kings in 2019.

So.. the Celtics gave up the opportunity to draft the player of their choice in exchange for a top-five protected pick next year (which is presumed to have less depth than this year), and the #3 pick this year.

EDIT: Was citing a tweet by Chris Mannix from The Vertical - that tweet has just been deleted, so might not be completely correct

There have been some rumblings that the Lakers may not select Ball at #2, as well as some rumblings that the player that the Celtics are enamoured with is Tatum, not Jackson.
              Last edited by Ebonhawke; Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• So.. the Celtics gave up the opportunity to draft the player of their choice in exchange for a top-five protected pick next year (which is presumed to have less depth than this year), and the #3 pick this year.
                It's a justifiable deal from both ends. Philly gets one of the PGs, which it desperately needs, and Boston gets the guy it wants anyway at #3.

Comment

• Trade has apparently been clarified, which could swing the decision more the Celtics' way (my post above is incorrect)

In exchange for the No. 1 pick, the Celtics will take Philly's 2017 No. 3 pick and a 2018 first-round pick via the Lakers. However, if the Lakers pick doesn't fall between No. 2 and No. 5, the Celtics will instead receive either Sacramento’s or Philadelphia’s first round pick in 2019 (whichever one is better).

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                    Trade has apparently been clarified, which could swing the decision more the Celtics' way (my post above is incorrect)

In exchange for the No. 1 pick, the Celtics will take Philly's 2017 No. 3 pick and a 2018 first-round pick via the Lakers. However, if the Lakers pick doesn't fall between No. 2 and No. 5, the Celtics will instead receive either Sacramento’s or Philadelphia’s first round pick in 2019 (whichever one is better).
                    Even with the 2019 pick though they can't get a #1 pick. It's 2-5 next year, then if it fails to convey, the better of SAC/PHI, UNLESS it is the 1st pick, then they get the worse of the two picks.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      It's a justifiable deal from both ends. Philly gets one of the PGs, which it desperately needs, and Boston gets the guy it wants anyway at #3.
                      I don't disagree that it's a justifiable deal (it's also better with the clarification I noted above - the pick from the Lakers would be 2-5, not 2-5 protected). However, you are taking a bit of a risk that the guy you want at #3 may not be there. For example, the Lakers are rumoured to be considering Jackson, Ball, and Fox at #2 - so if Jackson is the Celtics' target, he might not be there. The Lakers have also been reported to be looking for another lottery pick in the draft, and the Kings have #5 and #10 - if the Lakers prefer Fox over Ball and Jackson, they might decide to trade down - and who knows who Sacramento would draft at #2.

Again, at the time I typed the original message, it appeared the only other pick going to the Celtics might not have even been a lottery pick in 2019, which might not have justified the risk above. However, as the pick may very well end up being a top-5 pick next year, there's clearly enough justification for the risk.

Comment

• Phoenix is trying to move up to get the second pick apparently. I guess Ball isn't as coveted by the Lakers as most of us think

Comment

• Apparently BOS is trying to flip a package around #3 and Crowder for Butler which would make that trade an excellent one for both PHI and BOS. It means the #3 was essentially a freebie with the Lakers or Kings pick replacing it's value in the next 2 years and basically keep an extra trade chip available in combination with BKN 2018, MEM 2019 & SAC 2019 to be able to be the top suitors in a trade for another little player named Anthony Davis next year when inevitably the Pelicans remain on the fast track to nowhere....

As for our pick, this is my big board now...

OG
                          Bolden
                          Bam
                          Anigbogu

We need to draft a player that has some upside (period).

But who I think we will end up drafting is one of...

Kuzma
                          Semi
                          Swanigan
                          Leaf

It's also in the above order that I would like but Leaf would be a complete disappointment imo.

Comment

• Chad Ford has the Raps grabbing Bolden in his latest mock according to Raptors HQ

Comment

• Anyone else watch "better call Saul" last week when he rigged the ping pong ball machine at bingo? Not that this has any bearing on the draft...

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                                Anyone else watch "better call Saul" last week when he rigged the ping pong ball machine at bingo? Not that this has any bearing on the draft...

[IMG]

via GIPHY

[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                                X