It's imperative that we get the #1 seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mess wrote: View Post
    Other than a mythical trade for an upgrade, how should they "go for it"?

Last season they sat Lowry 4 games out of the final 12, with 2 of those being losses. DD sat 3, with one loss. One of those losses being to the Spurs at the end of a back to back and a stretch of 7 games in 11 nights (5 being on the road).

I guess the easy answer is no rest for them?

Bring back Sully sooner? (unlike DC last year, but was that wrong?)

Start PP? (nah that's too easy)

I don't know how much they eased off the gas pedal last season, so to grind it out at max speed for 82 games still may not be enough.
    Theyre already going for it. Nobody plays to be #2. Ask ricky bobby
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Theyre already going for it. Nobody plays to be #2. Ask ricky bobby
      You can also be 3rd, 4th,...

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
        You can also be 3rd, 4th,...
        Anything other than 1st is last. Kids these days...
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
          We won't get the 1st seed mate.

Cavs are just too good and they will get the win if they badly need one.

First and foremost, we need to solve/deal with our problems... Otherwise we'll go down in the 1st round.
          the cavs do not play to there talent level during the season so it's possible for a team playing over .700 ball to get number one last year although both teams (raps and cav's) wanted the number one key players were rested during the last games

Comment

Cleveland just lost again for the 3rd time in a row. We're now only 0.5 games back. A win against Atlanta tomorrow will put us tied at the top of the east (we'd have 1 more loss and 1 more win).

Comment

Lupe wrote: View Post
              Cleveland just lost again for the 3rd time in a row. We're now only 0.5 games back. A win against Atlanta tomorrow will put us tied at the top of the east (we'd have 1 more loss and 1 more win).
              And then we play the Cavs Monday...
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Whole East is really tight race right now 4.5 games between 1-10 and 2.5 between 3-10. Monday game against Cavs should really give bigger picture, we are on the roll while they are struggling, playing LeBron 45 minutes on the 2nd night of the B2B, interior defense and rebounding non existent and playing Shumpert as backup PG. Still that's been only 3 regular season games for team that is much more top heavy (post-season oriented), Raptors though haven't lost 3 straight since mid November last year.

Projections aside (and they are as good as ever in franchise history) we have good shoot at 1st seed, because we are playing consistent, offense looks sustainable, defense starts picking up and we still have reserves in Sullinger and playing DeMarre full-time.

Comment

Just checked NBA.com. Our offence is #2 and we're closer to #1 Warriors than to #3 Rockets. Our defense is no longer bottom 10. Net rating of 8.4 is 3rd, behind only GS and Clips. SOS per Bbref is #5. This is a very good, deep team.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    Just checked NBA.com. Our offence is #2 and we're closer to #1 Warriors than to #3 Rockets. Our defense is no longer bottom 10. Net rating of 8.4 is 3rd, behind only GS and Clips. SOS per Bbref is #5. This is a very good, deep team.
                    Only a difference of 0.8 between GSW's offense and this one. Holy moly.

And Bbref has the SRS at 3rd in the league.

Comment

I was thinking of starting a new thread for this, but I guess it can go here:

We're good. We're really good. And, perhaps most importantly, having one of the youngest teams with rookie contract players and Bird rights on our key players, we project to get quite a bit better.

Organic growth y'all. Masai's 'Wait & See' strategy is paying off - Championship time.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Yeah. I'd feel more comfortable if our defense climbs into the top 10 though. I just feel like without that we have no chance at all. I've posted this a few times but LeBron has only ever been knocked out by top 5 defenses with the exception of #8 Dallas in 2011.

What'll be interesting is if we can somehow make a major upgrade at starting PF without affecting our current rotation. Like so far this season our key guys (not counting Siakam since he'd be replaced in this scenario) have been Lowry, DeMar, Carroll, JV, CoJo, Powell, Ross, 2Pat and Bebe.

If we can somehow consolidate some mix of Sullinger, Wright, FVV, Poeltl, Siakam and our numerous draft picks for someone like Paul Millsap at the deadline we'd really, really be in business. I think he's going to be available at the deadline with the way Atlanta's playing and I've seen some Hawks fans saying he wouldn't be particularly expensive given that they priced Horford too high last year and got nothing for him.

A 10 man unit of Lowry, DeMar, Carroll, Millsap, JV, CoJo, Ross, Powell, 2Pat, Bebe, armed with homecourt advantage could potentially beat Cleveland if most everything goes right. Meaning Lowry and DD show up, our role players and JV do pretty much what the did last year and we can prevent Irving or Love from playing above themselves and keep LeBron somewhat in check.
                        Last edited by Lupe; Sat Dec 3, 2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Lupe wrote: View Post
                          Yeah. I'd feel more comfortable if our defense climbs into the top 10 though. I just feel like without that we have no chance at all. I've posted this a few times but LeBron has only ever been knocked out by top 5 defenses with the exception of #8 Dallas in 2011.
                          Think that with the long homestand and the ability to practice during that period the Raps coaching staff will be and has looked to iron out some of the issues on switches and rotations. They are a pretty good defensive team on balance and the games against Houston and the surprising Lakers who can both light it up were very good efforts.

Thinking DC and crew have circled the Lebrons game Monday as a good test of the last week of practice... Its going to be a tong war as Lebron is probably none to pleased his Cavs have dropped the last 3 in a row.

If the Raps can keep it going against Atlanta it will be for first place in the east .... however I am sure the leagues focus will be on one of
                          a) the win 2 lose 1... lose 2 win 1 Boston Celtics going into Houston or
                          b) the promising Portland Trailblazers playing the new darlings of the east the Dwayne Wade led Chicago Bulls.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                            Think that with the long homestand and the ability to practice during that period the Raps coaching staff will be and has looked to iron out some of the issues on switches and rotations. They are a pretty good defensive team on balance and the games against Houston and the surprising Lakers who can both light it up were very good efforts.

Thinking DC and crew have circled the Lebrons game Monday as a good test of the last week of practice... Its going to be a tong war as Lebron is probably none to pleased his Cavs have dropped the last 3 in a row.

If the Raps can keep it going against Atlanta it will be for first place in the east .... however I am sure the leagues focus will be on one of
                            a) the win 2 lose 1... lose 2 win 1 Boston Celtics going into Houston or
                            b) the promising Portland Trailblazers playing the new darlings of the east the Dwayne Wade led Chicago Bulls.
                            I'd prefer if the league/news media doesn't give us any credit. I'd love nothing more than for them to laugh at the idea of the Raptors even being in the conference finals again then cry and whine when they don't get the precious Cavs-Warriors trilogy that they wanted. Don't get me wrong I actually like LeBron a lot, but he's in the way, so gotta go buddy.

Comment

Getting the #1 seed would be great, but I don't think it should be a priority. Avoiding CLE in the 2nd round is the most important thing I think, but that looks like it might be relatively easy unless some other team gets hot and makes a run. Our offence is tremendous and our D is improving. We are good. Just play to win and don't burn guys out. Being healthy going in to the playoffs is more important. I also don't think we should not be overly concerned with acquiring that prized PF. That being said, if ATL continues to slide, maybe Millsap becomes available at a decent price. I just wonder what the effect a shakeup like that may have on the lineup and chemistry of the team if such a move were to be made in Jan, say. We'd likely lose contributors to the team and have to integrate a top tier player into the lineup in a short period of time. If such a move is to be made, the sooner the better IMO.
                              Last edited by JawsGT; Sun Dec 4, 2016, 12:32 AM.

Comment

With the Cavs slumping, Raptors are only 0.5 games back from #1 seed.

It's our time

Comment

Working...
                                X