No announcement yet.

Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theo Epstein was 28 when he became the Red Sox GM. He was 30 when his team won the WS.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Bobby was at the league's offices around 20-21 (by the numbers I see). Then became a "respected" talent there in cap matters which led Masai and others to notice him. He must be a savant with numbers. What I cannot glean from the resume is his player/talent evaluation capabilities....like Tolzman for example.

Comment

• He was with the magic for 1 yr, league office for 7 yrs (?), Raps for 4 yrs (?).

Comment

• With the rumors of Butler recruiting Lowry to Minny, let's say he wants to leave and indicates that to Masai. Is there a deal we could make where we send Lowry and DeRozan there in a sign and trade for Rubio and Wiggins? We'd have to take back some contracts like Aldrich I believe to make it work, haven't looked at all the financials yet.

But if Minnesota is trying to win now that's not a bad idea. Lowry/DeRozan/Butler/(Shooter)/Towns would be pretty deadly.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
            With the rumors of Butler recruiting Lowry to Minny, let's say he wants to leave and indicates that to Masai. Is there a deal we could make where we send Lowry and DeRozan there in a sign and trade for Rubio and Wiggins? We'd have to take back some contracts like Aldrich I believe to make it work, haven't looked at all the financials yet.

But if Minnesota is trying to win now that's not a bad idea. Lowry/DeRozan/Butler/(Shooter)/Towns would be pretty deadly.

Comment

With the rumors of Butler recruiting Lowry to Minny, let's say he wants to leave and indicates that to Masai. Is there a deal we could make where we send Lowry and DeRozan there in a sign and trade for Rubio and Wiggins? We'd have to take back some contracts like Aldrich I believe to make it work, haven't looked at all the financials yet.

Lol, this is way more entertaining than the playoffs
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

I had previously posted a rumour floating around even before the Butler intervention that Thibs was interested in Lowry. I received a meaningful reponse which in effect stated it wasn't gonna happen...why?...There'd be fireworks not too long after considering the two personalities involved! I tend to agree. However, with Butler, Thibs may have a go-between...lol.

Comment

• T - 11.5hrs

Comment

• A surprisingly good read at the Ringer about NBA offseasons - with an interesting theoretical Raptors plot twist too.

The Rubio tidbit is the best part though.

https://theringer.com/nba-free-agenc...nts-d7eab20473

Another league exec said to watch what happens with Kyle Lowry — and one of his teammates. In theory, the market for the point guard probably isn’t as robust as Lowry would like, particularly with the Sixers, a one-time potential suitor, suddenly eloping with Markelle Fultz. But the adage about how it only takes one team is true, and that one team might be the Raptors — whether they like it or not. Lowry is represented by Andy Miller, who also has another Toronto free agent for a client: Serge Ibaka.

The play here, as it was explained to me, is obvious enough: Miller goes to the Raptors and makes the case for fat new deals for Lowry and Ibaka. Both, not just one — and probably an overpay for Ibaka. Doing so would explode the Raptors’ cap sheet, but that’s president Masai Ujiri’s problem, not Miller’s. If Ujiri balks, Miller threatens to remove both Lowry and Ibaka in tandem, which would immediately topple Toronto. A different league executive called that possibility “a gangster move” by Miller, but noted, “That’s what he’s known for.” Indeed.

In a vacuum, the market doesn’t look great for Lowry or Ibaka. It’s possible Ujiri strikes deals that are equitable for all sides. Of course, Ujiri could call Miller’s theoretical negotiation bluff. Ujiri has always been forward-thinking, and he might secretly see that kind of two-for-one ransom tactic as the excuse he needs to undergo a necessary rebuild. Or maybe, if still another report becomes reality, Ujiri will jump ship instead of go down with it, and he might even beat Lowry and Ibaka to the lifeboats.

Incidentally, has anyone asked Bobby Webster if he can swim?
                    Last edited by Mess; Fri Jun 30, 2017, 02:14 PM.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Trying to package Ibaka and Lowry makes little sense for either player from a financial standpoint as it necessarily limits potential suitors. It also requires each player to be committed to the strategy and I have a real tough time believing Kyle Lowry is going to let Serge Ibaka's salary dictate where he'll play next year..... For example, it would mean that if Toronto offered Lowry the max, he would be prepared to walk if the Ibaka deal was discounted from what he could get elsewhere. I just don't see this.

If anything, it makes more sense for Toronto to pitch them together as the only spot (true or not) where they can both get paid and be on a winning team.

Comment

• Kyle and Serge would not be aware that's what the agent's plan/negotiating tactic is (because if it gets them massive deals in Toronto - does it really matter?) And the package deal/implied threat is only to try to squeeze more cash out of Toronto and Masai. Masai could easily call his bluff though. And it wouldn't apply to other teams.
                        Last edited by Mess; Fri Jun 30, 2017, 02:23 PM.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• It's a smart negotiating tact except that the Raptors already have every intent of signing both of them, but only if it makes sense financially. Ujiri won't cave to any such trickery. He'll make his offers and they can take them or leave them, with the usual amount of wiggle room on specifics. But if they expect Ujiri to shell out big money for Ibaka to be able to keep Lowry, they are overestimating how much Masai is likely willing to give Lowry in the first place.

With the market for Lowry shrinking so much over the past several weeks (and rumours aplenty floating around about the market in general experiencing similar issues), it's starting to look like 4/120 and 4/80 could be possible. That would be quite a windfall for the Raps. And looking around the league, there might not be better offers for either player.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            It's a smart negotiating tact except that the Raptors already have every intent of signing both of them, but only if it makes sense financially. Ujiri won't cave to any such trickery. He'll make his offers and they can take them or leave them, with the usual amount of wiggle room on specifics. But if they expect Ujiri to shell out big money for Ibaka to be able to keep Lowry, they are overestimating how much Masai is likely willing to give Lowry in the first place.

With the market for Lowry shrinking so much over the past several weeks (and rumours aplenty floating around about the market in general experiencing similar issues), it's starting to look like 4/120 and 4/80 could be possible. That would be quite a windfall for the Raps. And looking around the league, there might not be better offers for either player.
                            Do you mean 5/120? Just checking.

<25M a year for Lowry seems like it'd get beat by other teams like Denver and Minnesota that are fringe playoff teams that need PG upgrades. I'm all for that though I kind of want to rebuild and I think Lowry leaving is the only way that has any chance of happening.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              It's a smart negotiating tact except that the Raptors already have every intent of signing both of them, but only if it makes sense financially. Ujiri won't cave to any such trickery. He'll make his offers and they can take them or leave them, with the usual amount of wiggle room on specifics. But if they expect Ujiri to shell out big money for Ibaka to be able to keep Lowry, they are overestimating how much Masai is likely willing to give Lowry in the first place.

3 years in a row of aging subpar playoffs performance by Lowry cannot be overlooked nor understated. Lowry isn't all of the sudden going to "get it". No reason to shell out big huge amount of money when we expect a performance similar to Chris Paul yet we get performance similar to that of Jeff Teague.

Comment

• Lowe says he hears the market for Ibaka is $20m.
                                I also expect that masai has a top $ in mind and that's it.
                                I know this isn't popular but if we are going to lose Lowry, say to the wolves, I wouldn't mind Rubio and a pick.
                                We didn't play THAT badly without kyle, and in truth, I hated how they played leading into all star (perhaps Lowry was hurt?) and kinda liked how they played post all star with DeMar.
                                As long as it's $120m or less I hope they get Lowry and I'd be really happy if they got DJ. We could try out DJ/serge and if serge is signed to 3/$48-60m, I think we could flip him for something useful.

Comment

Working...
                                X