Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I'm sure long term they think Poeltl can start. It doesn't mean they won't start the better C right now. JV will be moving on when his contract is done, possibly earlier, as early as next summer being quite likely. I'm sure they'll have Poeltl step in to start then (if they aren't all in on small ball at that point). But forcing a 2nd year player into a role he's not ready for, without really giving him a full season of regular backup minutes first, that's something a rebuilding team does.
    Was OKC rebuilding when they decided to start Steven Adams over Kanter?

And we're not talking about what we think the team will do. I agree that we likely are just going to run it back and start JV. I don't think that's what we should do though.

Comment

• Change what minds? He's still effective player. He didn't reach expectations that some people have of him. But he sucks in the defense when he rolls, fights for offensive boards, sets solid screens to open up Derozan and Lowry. Scoring is not the only way he can contribute
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Going after Diaw actually makes sense to me in two separate scenarios.

1.) Trade Bebe and Justin Hamilton (who we haven't technically stretched/waived yet) for Diaw to keep him. Diaw can be an effective player and in particular he's an excellent passer, which would be great for us at the four.

2. Trade Bebe and Justin Hamilton in order to waive Diaw and now we've got about $7m in below-tax room, which should be enough to go after one or two smaller free agents (Mbah a Moute and somebody else) or to make a respectable run at Jonathan Simmons or JaMychal Green.

If you assume the plan was to trade Bebe in any instance as an asset the Raptors don't value that highly, then trading for Diaw makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
          I said earlier that he could still close games off the bench depending on the situation. He wouldn't be the first 6th man to close games for us. CoJo closed games often, Lou Will closed games, 2Pat closed games. So not sure what you're on about.

His time with KL, DD and Ibaka should be limited because the three of them have a combined 80% usage. Unless you think we're going to have radical changes to our offense, JV's offensive game is going to be limited in that group, whether that's P&R plays for him or post-ups.

It has the added advantage of helping Delon and/or Powell on the bench, giving them a more reliable scorer and screen man to work with than Poeltl. It's about fit and what's best for the team. And not only is it better for the team, it'd be better for JV as well. Getting more time playing against weaker offenses and being able to get more touches with less high-usage offensive options on the floor.
          My plan already has JV on the floor with the bench whenever DD isn't. Can't imagine JV would help take much offensive loading with DeRozan featuring in those units. I have Poeltl in with those units specifically because he worked quite well with DeRozan-centric bench units last season, and because DeRozan-led units tend to need quicker defenders to cover for DeRozan's... lack of enthusiasm for defence when he's carrying the offensive load.

You keep saying it would be better for the team, but I have yet to see any proof that it would be. We have no evidence Poeltl can play sustainably against starting quality C's. We have no evidence he can rebound well enough to anchor a starting unit. We have no evidence he can score reliably enough against starting quality C's to be a threat on the roll. We do know that in the vast majority of minutes JV has played without Siakam or Scola (plus Carroll, of late...) dragging down the starting unit, he's been very effective beside DeMar and Lowry against starting quality opposition. We also know that Poeltl has succeeded in bench units even early last season, and under my plan would get a spattering of minutes against better players midway through the 1st and 3rd Q's to test his mettle.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

My plan already has JV on the floor with the bench whenever DD isn't. Can't imagine JV would help take much offensive loading with DeRozan featuring in those units. I have Poeltl in with those units specifically because he worked quite well with DeRozan-centric bench units last season, and because DeRozan-led units tend to need quicker defenders to cover for DeRozan's... lack of enthusiasm for defence when he's carrying the offensive load.

You keep saying it would be better for the team, but I have yet to see any proof that it would be. We have no evidence Poeltl can play sustainably against starting quality C's. We have no evidence he can rebound well enough to anchor a starting unit. We have no evidence he can score reliably enough against starting quality C's to be a threat on the roll. We do know that in the vast majority of minutes JV has played without Siakam or Scola (plus Carroll, of late...) dragging down the starting unit, he's been very effective beside DeMar and Lowry against starting quality opposition. We also know that Poeltl has succeeded in bench units even early last season, and under my plan would get a spattering of minutes against better players midway through the 1st and 3rd Q's to test his mettle.
            How would we have "evidence" on a 2nd year player who only played 11 minutes per game (btw he did have very good numbers in those minutes) and not much against starters? I said I'd like to try it because I think it would work better. Poeltl has much better defensive potential and right now JV is much better offensive player. Let JV play off the bench and be able to use his offensive skillset more. People are always saying JV is underused. We've seen plenty of talented offensive players get more usage and responsibility by moving to the bench. It just seems like you don't even want to consider the idea because you want JV to start. That's why you led-off by by being dismissive and saying that we already covered this.

I'm actually being a little innovative and looking for ways for us to maximize what we have instead of just doing the same thing we've been doing again.

Comment

• Some off season news:

Lowry to play for team World and Ibaka for Team Africa at the NBA Africa Game:
              http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ba-africa-game

Comment

How would we have "evidence" on a 2nd year player who only played 11 minutes per game (btw he did have very good numbers in those minutes) and not much against starters? I said I'd like to try it because I think it would work better. Poeltl has much better defensive potential and right now JV is much better offensive player. Let JV play off the bench and be able to use his offensive skillset more. People are always saying JV is underused. We've seen plenty of talented offensive players get more usage and responsibility by moving to the bench. It just seems like you don't even want to consider the idea because you want JV to start. That's why you led-off by by being dismissive and saying that we already covered this.

I'm actually being a little innovative and looking for ways for us to maximize what we have instead of just doing the same thing we've been doing again.
                Here's an innovation: let's bring all of our starters off the bench.

Just because someone disagrees with your innovation doesn't mean they aren't looking for ways to maximize what we have. I just disagree that your suggested course of action maximizes what we have.

As for how we have evidence: exactly. We don't. Is my point. If you give Poeltl the backup role with consistent minutes, and then if JV gets hurt, give him some starting opportunities, then next season you'll have your evidence. Poeltl wasn't ready for even that until late last season, hence the lack of evidence, and also the reasoning behind not throwing him into the starting lineup so soon.

I didn't lead off being dismissive and saying we already covered it because I want JV to start. I led off being dismissive and saying we already covered it because we've already had this exact discussion in various forms about a dozen times since late last season.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Here's an innovation: let's bring all of our starters off the bench.

Just because someone disagrees with your innovation doesn't mean they aren't looking for ways to maximize what we have. I just disagree that your suggested course of action maximizes what we have.

As for how we have evidence: exactly. We don't. Is my point. If you give Poeltl the backup role with consistent minutes, and then if JV gets hurt, give him some starting opportunities, then next season you'll have your evidence. Poeltl wasn't ready for even that until late last season, hence the lack of evidence, and also the reasoning behind not throwing him into the starting lineup so soon.

I didn't lead off being dismissive and saying we already covered it because I want JV to start. I led off being dismissive and saying we already covered it because we've already had this exact discussion in various forms about a dozen times since late last season.
                  I haven't been here since late last season so this is the first time I'm having this discussion here other than yesterday. The comment you started with there really isn't necessary by the way, this is just a discussion. I've just been reading your posts and you just seem really adverse to any idea that involves JV not starting or trading JV or anything of the sort.

Comment

I haven't been here since late last season so this is the first time I'm having this discussion here other than yesterday. The comment you started with there really isn't necessary by the way, this is just a discussion. I've just been reading your posts and you just seem really adverse to any idea that involves JV not starting or trading JV or anything of the sort.
                    Yeah, I like JV. I'm really adverse to any idea of trading DeMar or Lowry or Ibaka too, same goes for Powell. And the same goes for Poeltl and Wright and OG unless a superstar comes back.

And yes, our identical conversation yesterday was what I was referring to.

Which comment? The innovation one? I'm just saying, don't parade your innovation around like others are incapable of it. Disagreement with your points is not a sign of being unable to think so far outside the box. It's just people disagreeing with you.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Boris Diaw...ewww. Hope its not true. He makes as much sense has Sullinger did last year.
                      It's just grasping at straws because we've painted ourselves into a corner with our salary situation.

Our only real hope for improvement this year is that one of the kids (Siakam, Poeltl, OG) turns out to be a revelation.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        It's just grasping at straws because we've painted ourselves into a corner with our salary situation.

Our only real hope for improvement this year is that one of the kids (Siakam, Poeltl, OG) turns out to be a revelation.
                        Prepare to be "revel-ated"
                        Think both Pascal and Poeltl are going to deliver the mail this year.
                        To early for OG to do much save to get acclimated to the pace and skill set he is going to have to go up against every other night.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                          Prepare to be "revel-ated"
                          Think both Pascal and Poeltl are going to deliver the mail this year.
                          To early for OG to do much save to get acclimated to the pace and skill set he is going to have to go up against every other night.
                          Yeah, this isn't being painted in a corner, this is looking for the last guy to fill out the roster. This guy is likely nothing more than a cheap bench warming failsafe, Plan A is to have some youth step into new roles. This guy is there in case somebody proves unready for an expanded role or in case of injury. It's the 2017 Greg Steimsma, only there's some debate here if it should be a stretch PF or a wing defender. I think it should be a stretch PF, I think there's less depth in that role than on perimeter D.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I think this is the year we finally start Patterson.....wait

Anyway, like Blake said on the main page article, Diaw would be a decent vet presence even if he's not getting a ton of minutes. And that will probably matter a bit when a team's oldest player needs to be reined in every now and then.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Sacramento.. Knicks... Perfect fit.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                                Sacramento.. Knicks... Perfect fit.

So how long has Scott Perry been in Sactown? Just less than 3 months?
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X