Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Sounds like the Colangelo era when we had all these TPEs and never actually got anyone worth a damn with them. We'll see if the ambition is there to really improve. If they're still looking to dump even Val now, then I can't imagine them paying Norm and then finding another guy to throw $6-11M at.
    They did use those TPEs from the Bosh era to facilitate a few trades. Though certainly not for any big fish.

I don't think they are looking to dump Val now. The most recent reports just say that they had been over the course of the spring and didn't get the value they wanted. That's why they moved Carroll instead.

That said, kind of hard to predict who they should be looking to add or if they should be looking to add anyone and at what cost until after this season.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      We can match anything. If he gets a 25M offer (roughly his max), we can match it. We just have to pay a hefty tax bill if we do (and don't subsequently shed a contract like JV's).

If ownership is open to going into the tax, they realistically won't have to go so far into it that the tax bill is unsustainable, even if they don't shed JV. Powell making 15M, for example, would still peg the Raptors at about 12M into the tax, which is a reasonable tax situation. Cleveland and Portland are both right around 20M this summer. Three other teams in the 7-15M range.
      Norm is a promising young player, and like Crabbe and the kid from Miami whose name doesn't come to mind, someone will over pay and take a chance on him. I've mentioned it before, but would Raptors be better off trading Norm this season..maybe in a package with JV? I know you and many here think Norm can start at SF, but I don't see it, and unless DeMar is traded then we could potentially be paying big money for someone who fits best off the bench.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Norm is a promising young player, and like Crabbe and the kid from Miami whose name doesn't come to mind, someone will over pay and take a chance on him. I've mentioned it before, but would Raptors be better off trading Norm this season..maybe in a package with JV? I know you and many here think Norm can start at SF, but I don't see it, and unless DeMar is traded then we could potentially be paying big money for someone who fits best off the bench.
        I doubt he gets too far overpaid. The cap crunch is pretty real next year, and there are a lot of FA's out there next summer that are a lot higher up the chain of priority than Norm.

That said, Norm fits way better in the starting lineup. Still, his usage won't be crazy high, and if he tops out at like 15 PPG in that role, would be a tough sell even for a bottom dweller to back up a dump truck of money when there will be high end targets on the (suppressed) market.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
          We don't.

I can't even call it a dumb idea when really it was all about greed. People love to dream that Masai has some "master plan" when in reality he's just a decent GM that is just doing his best to operate within the parameters set by MLSE. All this talk about them willing to spend is just bs to keep fans coming in the hopes that there is more. Bringing back Kyle, Serge and DeMar has nothing to do with a "window" in respect to winning, that so called "window" is the one that MLSE can continue to rake in $$$ on Playoff runs and merchandise hence why Masai is having to remain under the cap.

Even when this so called "3 Year Plan" is done, majority our young guys will be nearing or entering their primes so we won't even be bad enough to tank properly and more likely back in BC's sweet spot, 8-12th in the draft. MLSE will not endure the chance of a prolonged rebuild, they rather the route of POR which is to supposedly "stay competitive" because again the Playoff money is just too much to hold out on.
          Yeah, who the fuck wants to watch playoffs when we could be watching truly shitty basketball.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• If there's any "master plan", it's simply to maintain some degree of flexibility while building the reputation of the franchise as a having a winning culture. Masai already hinted that the really long game is to make the franchise the preferred destination for top tier Canadian free agents who would consider coming home (e.g. Wiggins, Murray, RJ Barrett....). That's like a decade away
            I don't know if it's a "master plan" (and I don't know all the details) but I know for certain that all of the MLSE teams underwent massive leadership and strategic overhauls when Leiweke came in and the primary focus of all those consultations, etc. was how to put winning teams on the field/court/ice. I know this because I know one of the guys who was directly involved in the Leafs process and was involved with pitching Shanahan on the tear-down/rebuild strategy and I also know similar things happened with the Raps and TFC.

Contra others, the Raps plan has nothing to do with greed. The Raps and Leafs make good money from MLSE and have for years. Even when the Raps were bad to mediocre they made a tidy profit for MLSE. Of course they want to make money but, believe it or not or agree with what they are doing or not, they are trying to win.

Comment

• I would love this.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/stat...36379763441664
              Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Jul 18, 2017, 03:00 PM.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                I would love this.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                Yuck.

Yeah, let's reunite the incredibly successful Orlando Magic frontcourt.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Can't trade with Orlando because of Weltman.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I would love this.

Well if we're really trading JV now then yeah fine. But I don't want Biz. Dude came back to earth last season. He had umm.. okay D season(numbers were down from Toronto tho) but Orlando struggled with him on the floor. Don't get me wrong, Biz was pretty good cuz there's not much he can do in that situation. Magic guards are worst at perimeter defence.
                    Last edited by rocwell; Tue Jul 18, 2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Can't trade with Orlando because of Weltman.
                      Yup. Forgot about that.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Yuck.

Yeah, let's reunite the incredibly successful Orlando Magic frontcourt.
                        With a way better backcourt. It's a guards game. BB had his best season as a Raptors. Probably the biggest reason why we beat the Cavs twice last year.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          Well if we're really trading JV now then yeah fine. But I don't want Biz. Dude came back to earth last season. He had umm.. okay D season(numbers were down from Toronto tho) but Orlando struggled with him on the floor. Don't get me wrong, Biz was pretty good cuz there's not much he can do in that situation. Magic guards are worst at perimeter defence.
                          It's all about fit and situation. We all know Casey can get the best out of Biz. Reason why we beat the Cavs twice last year.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's all about fit and situation. We all know Casey can get the best out of Biz. Reason why we beat the Cavs twice last year.

Nope. The reason we beat them was the Cavs stopped giving a fuck and were playing lethargic. Anyway, solid NO to Biz. He's WAYYYY overpaid. Besides, can't have two guys playing significant minutes who can't shoot the 3 at all (DD and Biz).
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• what's the press conference about?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                                what's the press conference about?
                                Miles introduction.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X