Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    lol. JV saving money and already preparing for life after basketball....
    I think he got ribbed in the Lithuanian media for the fancy car he bought a month or so ago, and this is his way of mocking them for that.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• This one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUsO53eF...anciunas&hl=en
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I would give them an A.

Unlike Utah who lost their best player in free agency, the Raps retained their best and third best players. They paid the players their perceived market value but got the term they needed. Players are happy. Team is happy. win -win. No one in Utah is the least bit happy on their offseason.

They picked up a pretty good prospect at 23 in the draft. If he was drafted at 23 by a US team in a media hub all you would hear is that this Justice Winslow clone was the steal of the draft. You don't need some crackhead at CBS or ESPN to confirm what you can see.

With a tactical move to unload Carroll for two low to very low probability lottery tickets at say 25 and 35 they got out from underneath a large tax bill and unloaded a player who wasn't going to help them moving forward. That move opens up the long whined for position by many RapRepublican faithful to play the young guys. Well, they are going to play them this year. Maybe not Bruno but Powell, Wright, Freddy VV, Poeltl and Siakam are going to play this year and they are going to add enthusiasm and speed.

The GM set himself up in keeping a roster spot open along with a couple of TPE's that will provide options for them to land a player or two at the deadline if they want to.

Tucker , Patman and McDribbles leave but coming in to balance those losses is
        Miles who is a better shooter than any of the four guys who left.
        Wright is a tall 6"6' PG who will disrupt the passing lanes, make life tough for a lot of shorter 2nd unit PGs on both ends of the floor. You saw glimpses of him easily getting inside and effortlessly laying it in off the glass over a much shorter defender. It was visine on the eyes after watching Carroll miss bunnies once or twice a game.
        In 18 months time PJ will be 34 and his replacement OG will be 22 years old on a rookie scale deal.

A team that was at the crossroads staring at cap and tax hell fared incredibly well. They aren't going to be paying a 35 year old PG 35 M$ when his play won't come close to his deal. They are going to win 50 games again and depending on how dysfunctional things get across Lake Erie they are one of three teams that have a shot at winning the ECF.

Ujiri is a fucking Jedi.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Jul 21, 2017, 11:15 AM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          Which grade would you guys give to this offseason for the Raps?
          "B" seems fair.

On the plus side, they re-signed both Lowry and Ibaka on short-term deals without having to overpay. People tend to forget that this never, ever would have happened just five or six years ago and we'd be looking at starting Wright and Siakam. CJ Miles fills a need. Rotation spots are open for guys like Powell and Wright. Getting rid of Carroll was a good thing and having read some of his comments after leaving it is pretty clear he wasn't at all happy in Toronto anyway.

On the down side, having Joseph, Tucker and Patterson all leave means a lot of sure and safe minutes off the bench are being lost, even though, personally, I think both Tucker and Patterson are massively overrated by lots of people on this forum (I accept I may be a minority of 1 on this point).

I always think it's really hard to judge an offseason until you see what actually happens on the floor. If Powell, Wright and Poeltl thrive in new roles then all of a sudden the offseason looks like a lot of addition by subtraction. If not, then losing Joseph, Tucker and Patterson will be seen as much bigger negatives.

Comment

• Meh. I prefer that Audi. Warren Buffet style

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              "B" seems fair.

On the plus side, they re-signed both Lowry and Ibaka on short-term deals without having to overpay. People tend to forget that this never, ever would have happened just five or six years ago and we'd be looking at starting Wright and Siakam. CJ Miles fills a need. Rotation spots are open for guys like Powell and Wright. Getting rid of Carroll was a good thing and having read some of his comments after leaving it is pretty clear he wasn't at all happy in Toronto anyway.

On the down side, having Joseph, Tucker and Patterson all leave means a lot of sure and safe minutes off the bench are being lost, even though, personally, I think both Tucker and Patterson are massively overrated by lots of people on this forum (I accept I may be a minority of 1 on this point).

I always think it's really hard to judge an offseason until you see what actually happens on the floor. If Powell, Wright and Poeltl thrive in new roles then all of a sudden the offseason looks like a lot of addition by subtraction. If not, then losing Joseph, Tucker and Patterson will be seen as much bigger negatives.
              Piker. At least a B+. I backed off an A+.
              - TGO

Comment

• I'm going with B also, but also suspecting that Masai used some Jedi mind tricks to manipulate and convince Butler, George & Millsap to gtfo of the Leastern conference. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  I'm going with B also, but also suspecting that Masai used some Jedi mind tricks to manipulate and convince Butler, George & Millsap to gtfo of the Leastern conference. lol.
                  Have you too been taxed to within an inch of your life by the Wynnites that you can't throw an extra shilling to give a B+ or an A- to your favourite teams accomplishments ?
                  They are worth more than a B...
                  - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    Have you too been taxed to within an inch of your life by the Wynnites that you can't throw an extra shilling to give a B+ or an A- to your favourite teams accomplishments ?
                    They are worth more than a B...
                    Casey is still the coach and Tucker is gone. I can't give that more than a B.

Comment

• How much time does JV have for working on his game over the summer when he seems to have so many obligations to his national team? He does seem to be the same player he was when he entered the league and hasn't really developed specific skills.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        How much time does JV have for working on his game over the summer when he seems to have so many obligations to his national team? He does seem to be the same player he was when he entered the league and hasn't really developed specific skills.
                        I do think it impacts his ability to train - specifically impacting the shape he comes into camp in (with usually little chance to take time off, so the off time comes right before training camp).

That said, his rebounding has gradually improved, his turnover rate has dropped continuously, and his shooting has been consistently very good (consistent with someone who works on it constantly).
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm going to go all Demo Shift on this one - Raps A+++++, Celts F------.

Actually B-. Liked the length of the Kyle/Ibaka deals, didn't like losing PP and Tucker (unless PPats sub-par play after his knee injury is his new normal). Like Miles shooting, but does zero to help ball movement. Have a feeling Carroll's attitude, as much as his poor play, was the reason he cost so much to get rid of. Not a fan of hard capping the the team. Like the OG pick, but there's a non-zero chance he's not the same athletically even after recovery. Neither a Casey fan or hater - would have liked someone different, but not docking Masai for keeping him either.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Well....

Last edited by rocwell; Fri Jul 21, 2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                                Well....

If I was Dan Gilbert I'd trade Lebron now for a King's ransom (he's likely gone if Kyrie strays or not), trade Love, let Kyrie go full Westbrook for a couple season while they lose (like they did before Lebron came back) and get high lottery picks. Just need to draft slightly better than TT, Dion Waiters and Anthony fucking Bennett.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X