Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

What people are forgetting here is that the Raps actually shot a very nice 3P% in the regular season (.363). Better than the Rockets, Celtics and Hawks. The real question here is: why does our shooting (and overall offense) drop off or become wildly inconsitstent in the playoffs vs. the regular season?
    Lowry's health has a lot to do with it. That, and the fact that Masai is only just starting to go all in.

Comment

Bargs is available. smdh.

Masai has been blowing assets to bring in Casey guys (defense-first, 2-way players who CAN shoot) for the last 3-4 years and now we need re-tool our roster with some Euro shooters to get us over the hump? Just "getting some shooters" doesn't look like the answer to me, even if it was that easy.

What people are forgetting here is that the Raps actually shot a very nice 3P% in the regular season (.363). Better than the Rockets, Celtics and Hawks. The real question here is: why does our shooting (and overall offense) drop off or become wildly inconsitstent in the playoffs vs. the regular season?
      Wasn't saying it was the answer to our woes, but the type of shooting this roster can afford might not be from existing talent in the NBA. With the way we are expecting to be capped out this summer you have to look for cheaper alternatives.

Reality is that we don't have any true stars on our roster. But we have two guards whom are in their prime to build around. MU could tear it all down and hope he gets lucky in the lottery or continue to build around the best options we have. I'm not MU, but I think he will look to add pieces around DeMar and Lowry.

I'd love to see those two buy into a heavy ball movement type offence but I don't see it. It doesn't play to DeMar's strengths at all since he doesn't have a 3pt shot in his arsenal. Lowry isn't a great distributor himself but as always is the key to our offence. The great thing is that Masaii has to answer for the showing his roster is putting on against the Cav's, so some change has to be coming you would think.

Comment

Bargs is available. smdh.

Masai has been blowing assets to bring in Casey guys (defense-first, 2-way players who CAN shoot) for the last 3-4 years and now we need re-tool our roster with some Euro shooters to get us over the hump? Just "getting some shooters" doesn't look like the answer to me, even if it was that easy.

36% is around average. Rockets shoot a lower %, but take and make more 3s. They attempt 6 more 3 point shots than the next team (Cavs). Same goes for the Celtics, they have a lower %, but take and make more 3s. Plus the difference isnt even that big. Raptors shoot 36.3%, Celtics shoot 35.9% and Rockets shoot 35.7%, but the amount of 3s those 2 teams take and make are significantly higher than the Raptors.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          Even making the playoffs is the sign of a good team. And only historically great teams don't struggle to close out their playoff opponents. Playoff series, on average, are dog fights.
          Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          Lowry's health has a lot to do with it. That, and the fact that Masai is only just starting to go all in.
          Do you know what our cap situation looks like? We have like a third of the cap going to a useless Carroll and an old-school centre. Masai went all-in when he re-signed DeMar, and even deeper when he traded for Ibaka.

I'm curious to see an example of how we can add shooting to this core this summer while presumably retaining Lowry and Ibaka.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            Even making the playoffs is the sign of a good team. And only historically great teams don't struggle to close out their playoff opponents. Playoff series, on average, are dog fights.
            Not really. More than half the league makes the playoffs every year. It's the sign of a "good" team, I guess...if we're going to be very binary and say that all playoff teams are good and all non-playoff teams are bad, but things are clearly not that simple

But to your other point, not "only historically great teams" don't struggle to close out lower seeded teams. There are pretty routinely multiple higher seeded teams that are able to knock out their first round opponent in 5 or less. And even some 6-game series that are never really a series. This was the first year we didn't have to go to 7, and early in the series it fully looked like we were on our way to another 1st round exit to a team that was lucky to even make the playoffs.

In the East in recent years, we are the only team other than LeBron-led teams to consistently finish in the top 4. And we have struggled greatly every year in the first round. Including getting swept by a team that at best was our equal (was Washington historically great?).

So if making the playoffs is a sign of a good team, then what is a team that chronically underperforms when they get there? Because if that's also a "good team", then I think definitions are the problem here.

Comment

• The assumption that many of us are making is that we will have the option to resign our free agents. But what if Lowry, Patterson, Ibaka and Tucker all decide to sign elsewhere? Other than money, is there really any good reason to stay here? If another would-be contender offers one of these guys a contract, why would they stay here? I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that any or all of these guys will definitely sign here. Wouldn't it be funny if OKC made a run at Ibaka?

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                The assumption that many of us are making is that we will have the option to resign our free agents. But what if Lowry, Patterson, Ibaka and Tucker all decide to sign elsewhere? Other than money, is there really any good reason to stay here? If another would-be contender offers one of these guys a contract, why would they stay here? I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that any or all of these guys will definitely sign here. Wouldn't it be funny if OKC made a run at Ibaka?
                Lowry, Patterson, and Ibaka are the 3 best 3 point shooters on a team desperately in need of more 3 point shooting. Holy shit.

Mind you this team needs to just take more 3's just as badly as it needs more shooters.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• The question that I have:

What if Masai's hands are tied? What if he's told that he must resign Lowry & Ibaka or he himself is fired. Do you think MLSE cares about the fans? No. They care about profit. That's the one thing that they've driven up since this era has begun. Tickets. Consessions. New jerseys/logo. Merchandise. EVEN PLAYERS CONTRACTS. It's all about that cash in the end. It's a sad fate to think about, but when you're producing a winner, guys go blind and only see dollar bills.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• I've been thinking about this for a while.
                    This team has serious cap issues. Whether they let guys go, or resign them they're pretty much capped out. This is where I'm leaning:

1/ They have to make every effort to sign Lowry, Ibaka, Tucker, possibly 2Pat.
                    2/They need to move Carroll
                    3/ They need to find a way to grab a star who can play alongside Demar, Lowry, Ibaka
                    4/ Seriously consider firing Casey.

My solutions probably won't be liked.

Option 1:
                    The easiest way to move Carroll is to package him with Norm in a trade. A rebuilding team likely will see him as a future star. His stats are better as a starter. He is naturally a SG, so he shouldn't play 80+ games a year beside Demar. To give that economic perspective, that would put you in range of trading for Paul George, and other top players on older contracts.

Option 2:
                    Trade Powell to move up in the draft. If this draft is as great as people claim, can the Raps put together a package with Norm to move up to get that potential future star? It's obvious now that for all the depth this team has they lack fire power at the 3. I think Norm has enough value to be a primary piece in a trade to move up in the draft.

Option 3: Trade Demar, don't resign Lowry, don't resign Ibaka, don't resign 2 Pat, or Tucker ... Demar would get you 2 or 3 picks. Give the team to Norm, Delon, Poeltl, and Pascal. Not sure a team that's gone 50+ wins multiple times would do this without more cause. However, they wouldn't be Sixers bad. Those guys, maybe Corey Joe, maybe Bebe are more fun than the Knicks, Nets and a few other teams. You would probably be stuck with Demarre in that scenario.

Coaching:
                    In the past I haven't been pro Casey, but I struggled to find a name that I thought would be a suitable replacement. Now there is one, and he collects a paycheck from MLSE. If this is put even partially on Casey, I would be comfortable with Coach Stack.

JV:
                    I'm not sure keeping or moving JV has a massive impact on things. He's needed against certain teams. His contract's okay. You're not going to get a star, or a lottery pick for him (maybe a late first?). He is what he is. They would create a hole trading him, but not resolve bigger issues.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                      The question that I have:

What if Masai's hands are tied? What if he's told that he must resign Lowry & Ibaka or he himself is fired. Do you think MLSE cares about the fans? No. They care about profit. That's the one thing that they've driven up since this era has begun. Tickets. Consessions. New jerseys/logo. Merchandise. EVEN PLAYERS CONTRACTS. It's all about that cash in the end. It's a sad fate to think about, but when you're producing a winner, guys go blind and only see dollar bills.
                      There has been no evidence that the new MLSE has given Masai anything but its unconditional support. If they were going to make such a ridiculous ultimatum they wouldn't have re-signed him to a multiyear extension eight months ago.

Masai is the architect of this team, and bears entirely the responsibility for what has happened and what will happen to this team.

Comment

• Where do we go from here? Well after the hangover, they should go to work. Lowry and Ibaka may both be gone. IF that happens it's time for some major moves... Carroll that's right, I'm looking directly at you... And DeRozan, don't buy that new home just yet.

Comment

• Hate to say it but let Lowry walk.

He has physically broken down EVERY Playoffs...not one did he look right and he's on the wrong side of his 30s with those increasing injuries. Serge I don't mind keeping on a reasonable contract BUT we'd really need a complete reconstruction of the roster where we surrounded DeMar and Powell with shooters/defence. It's crazy the amount of roster moves that would be required to do so.

The other way is easier to do, harder to live through and with much more upside but far more risk and that of course is blowing it up. Let everybody walk and trade DeMar for some picks. Now what's crazier is I don't see our management ie/ Masai having the balls to do so. We didn't do it when it was so much easier so I doubt we do so now.

I think we will see Masai start a "reconstruction" of the team. Lowry will walk, Powell & DD will become the new pair and we will attempt to follow the way of the league with shooters, tread water with "new" plots and twists on Open Gym to ultimately we finally rebuild when that core doesn't even come close and Masai's contract is up, MLSE cashed in a bit more on a couple more Playoff runs, we trade DD with a couple years left on his contract and then the rebuild FINALLY takes place....at least that's what the lady with the crystal ball told me.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                            Hate to say it but let Lowry walk.

He has physically broken down EVERY Playoffs...not one did he look right and he's on the wrong side of his 30s with those increasing injuries. Serge I don't mind keeping on a reasonable contract BUT we'd really need a complete reconstruction of the roster where we surrounded DeMar and Powell with shooters/defence. It's crazy the amount of roster moves that would be required to do so.

The other way is easier to do, harder to live through and with much more upside but far more risk and that of course is blowing it up. Let everybody walk and trade DeMar for some picks. Now what's crazier is I don't see our management ie/ Masai having the balls to do so. We didn't do it when it was so much easier so I doubt we do so now.

I think we will see Masai start a "reconstruction" of the team. Lowry will walk, Powell & DD will become the new pair and we will attempt to follow the way of the league with shooters, tread water with "new" plots and twists on Open Gym to ultimately we finally rebuild when that core doesn't even come close and Masai's contract is up, MLSE cashed in a bit more on a couple more Playoff runs, we trade DD with a couple years left on his contract and then the rebuild FINALLY takes place....at least that's what the lady with the crystal ball told me.
                            As depressing as your final few sentences are, that's pretty much how I see this playing out too. I think we keep Lowry though.

Who knows though. I will hold out hope that our next coach can be the Steve Kerr to our Mark Jackson/Casey and unlock hidden potential we can't quite see.

Comment

• Orlando needs shooters. Lowry and DeMar need Biz, since it's obvious they're never going to play defense.

Trade: Carroll+Siakam and bring back Biz.

I think Masai could actually pull this off.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                I've been thinking about this for a while.
                                This team has serious cap issues. Whether they let guys go, or resign them they're pretty much capped out. This is where I'm leaning:

1/ They have to make every effort to sign Lowry, Ibaka, Tucker, possibly 2Pat.
                                2/They need to move Carroll
                                3/ They need to find a way to grab a star who can play alongside Demar, Lowry, Ibaka
                                4/ Seriously consider firing Casey.

My solutions probably won't be liked.

Option 1:
                                The easiest way to move Carroll is to package him with Norm in a trade. A rebuilding team likely will see him as a future star. His stats are better as a starter. He is naturally a SG, so he shouldn't play 80+ games a year beside Demar. To give that economic perspective, that would put you in range of trading for Paul George, and other top players on older contracts.

Option 2:
                                Trade Powell to move up in the draft. If this draft is as great as people claim, can the Raps put together a package with Norm to move up to get that potential future star? It's obvious now that for all the depth this team has they lack fire power at the 3. I think Norm has enough value to be a primary piece in a trade to move up in the draft.

Option 3: Trade Demar, don't resign Lowry, don't resign Ibaka, don't resign 2 Pat, or Tucker ... Demar would get you 2 or 3 picks. Give the team to Norm, Delon, Poeltl, and Pascal. Not sure a team that's gone 50+ wins multiple times would do this without more cause. However, they wouldn't be Sixers bad. Those guys, maybe Corey Joe, maybe Bebe are more fun than the Knicks, Nets and a few other teams. You would probably be stuck with Demarre in that scenario.

Coaching:
                                In the past I haven't been pro Casey, but I struggled to find a name that I thought would be a suitable replacement. Now there is one, and he collects a paycheck from MLSE. If this is put even partially on Casey, I would be comfortable with Coach Stack.

JV:
                                I'm not sure keeping or moving JV has a massive impact on things. He's needed against certain teams. His contract's okay. You're not going to get a star, or a lottery pick for him (maybe a late first?). He is what he is. They would create a hole trading him, but not resolve bigger issues.

Thoughts?
                                I think you trade Powell if it actually gives you someone solid. Think someone like a Gordon Hayward or Kris Middleton level of player. Otherwise you keep him. You may just have to trade Demarre and JV together to get someone decent. Long story short I agree with most of your things except I am not one for option 3. I think we need to potentially at least think about a coaching change. IF NOT then we need to make a trade. We need to get rid of our dead weight like demarre even if we gotta trade picks to do it. It will be worth it. We need cap relief and we need to get someone who is useful. He has created the whole on our roster unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X