Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Weighted by minutes played we were 15th-youngest in the NBA last season. With 4/5 starters getting a year older, we'll probably be in the middle of the pack again, given that Miles will soak up a lot of Carroll's minutes.

Last four years we've gone from 12th to 12th to 13th to 15th.

Sort by age under Miscellaneous Stats:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../NBA_2017.html
    Interesting stuff Scrap!

Still, only 4 players above age 25 are Deebo, Klow, Ibaka and Miles
    Last edited by c-troop; Fri Aug 18, 2017, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
      Valanciunas/Poeltl/Nogueira
      Ibaka/Siakam/Meeks
      Miles/Anonuby/Caboclo
      DeRozan/Powell/McDaniels
      Lowry/Wright/VanVleet
      Final 15

PG: Lowry
      SG: DeRozan
      SF: Miles
      PF: Ibaka
      C: Valanciunas 

PG: Wright, VanVleet
      SG: Powell, McDaniels (small guarantee)
      SF: McKinnie (small guarantee), Anunoby (injured)
      PF: Siakam, Caboclo
      C: Poeltl, Nogueira

Additional 2 two-way contracts / Potential 905 players

Brown (two-way) (PG)

Miller (two-way) (SF)
      Meeks (Exhibit 10) (C) - could be flipped into two way contract
/905
      Wiltjer (non-guaranteed) (PF) - 905

Comment

• Sorry not all that excited when none of this youth projects to be anything more than roleplayers varying in their impact.

It would be much different if one of them was a "Jokic" or something. Now all it is, is a HALF MEASURE.

We neither a contender or in a proper rebuild, so we lose both ways. Because the next 3 years go by, CLE takes next year, BOS continues to create distance between us & themselves (nvm where LBJ might end up) and MIL is also rapidly closing the gap to eventually surpass and if PHI can remain healthy in a couple of years blow by us as well. We waste what very little is left of Kyle and Serge's prime and the next generation has us somewhere between 7-12th seed so there will be no "tank" either. This "3 year plan" set us back at least another 5 years.

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
          Interesting stuff Scrap!

Still, only 4 players above age 25 are Deebo, Klow, Ibaka and Miles
          I mean Delon, Jonas, Bebe, and Wiltjer will all be 25 at season's start. Powell is 24.

The interesting question is how much game time reps will lead to improvement for these guys. It should, theoretically, but these guys are not young in NBA terms, so there may not be much ceiling to exploit.

Hope for the best I guess.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
            Sorry not all that excited when none of this youth projects to be anything more than roleplayers varying in their impact.

It would be much different if one of them was a "Jokic" or something. Now all it is, is a HALF MEASURE.

We neither a contender or in a proper rebuild, so we lose both ways. Because the next 3 years go by, CLE takes next year, BOS continues to create distance between us & themselves (nvm where LBJ might end up) and MIL is also rapidly closing the gap to eventually surpass and if PHI can remain healthy in a couple of years blow by us as well. We waste what very little is left of Kyle and Serge's prime and the next generation has us somewhere between 7-12th seed so there will be no "tank" either. This "3 year plan" set us back at least another 5 years.
            Yeah that's why I said we're probably 7-8 years from contention, barring some kind of Bruno/Powell miracle. Or a coaching change on the level of acquiring a Gregg Popovich.

Comment

Shabazz Muhammed is supposedly close to accepting a min contract and if so he isn't anything fantastic but much better than KJ. I would also take Mirotic or Tony Allen over him as well.

Really the player we should have gone after like crazy was JAMYCHAL GREEN.

His QO is $2.8M and apparently MEM isn't offering more, insane that we weren't/aren't all over that but yay we have another athlete that can't shoot!
              We dont even have the mle to offer anymore... so any offer we make those teams will just match because of the QO

Comment

Yeah that's why I said we're probably 7-8 years from contention, barring some kind of Bruno/Powell miracle. Or a coaching change on the level of acquiring a Gregg Popovich.
                Too early. Remember how many years it took for derozan to really hit his stride.

Comment

• Nice to see Raptors getting some love.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...cast-standings

Comment

Sorry not all that excited when none of this youth projects to be anything more than roleplayers varying in their impact.

They are still missing capable shooting outside Middleton and Snell. But yeah if Giannis develops a shot... its GG

Comment

I mean Delon, Jonas, Bebe, and Wiltjer will all be 25 at season's start. Powell is 24.

The interesting question is how much game time reps will lead to improvement for these guys. It should, theoretically, but these guys are not young in NBA terms, so there may not be much ceiling to exploit.

Hope for the best I guess.
                      Wiltjer is on a nongaraunteed contract; I dunno why you included him like he's our secret weapon. haha

I'm most nervous about Delon Wright. JV has shown strong flashes for being only 25, as well as Powell and BeBe.

I would agree we don't have a "Jokic" on our team... but if you collect enough talented young players, the idea is more than one will develop into solid NBA players.

And in 3 years we can decide to trade our key players for picks to keep pumping the system with new young talent.
                      Last edited by c-troop; Fri Aug 18, 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

LOL. I'd like to see your picks for the contenders of 2017 that you made in 2009.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          LOL. I'd like t o see your picks for the contenders of 2017 that you made in 2009.
                          he had GSW number 1 obviously

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
                            he had GSW number 1 obviously
                            The Raptors were starting Shawn Marion and Jermaine O'Neal. Clearly the next 7 or 8 years we're stuck where we are currently!
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote:
                              LOL. I'd like to see your picks for the contenders of 2017 that you made in 2009.
                              It's a lot easier to see who won't be a contender than who will be. Blazers, Grizzlies, Hornets, probably the Heat and Pelicans... we're all in the same boat the next few years. Our best player is 34.5 in three years. A rebuild at that point seems fairly likely.

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              The Raptors were starting Shawn Marion and Jermaine O'Neal. Clearly the next 7 or 8 years we're stuck where we are currently!
                              I mean it's not an outrageous opinion. We're capped out for three years and then we likely rebuild, which means 4 or 5 years starting from scratch. We could move the timetable up a couple years if we trade Lowry/DeRozan for assets in a couple years, but I'm not sure how else we get from here to contender.

Draft: our picks will probably be late firsts in 2019 and 2020. We don't have any in 2018.
                              Free agency: no room.
                              Trade: several stars were recently traded without us being mentioned in any rumors, despite our supposed treasure chest of assets.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. Maybe one of our longshots (Powell/Poeltl/Caboclo etc) hits big and we get to another level, but it doesn't seem like a good bet. Our odds of winning the chip this year went from 60/1 at open to 80/1... seems like a really long way to go to narrow that to a 10/1 like the top 4 teams.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...7-18-nba-title

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X