Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Anyone know if Meeks' partially guaranteed contract can be switched to a two-way contract if fully guaranteed?
    Hasn't been clarified to my knowledge but Blake speculated that is likely the case:

"The deal probably contains what’s called an Exhibit 10, which will give the Raptors the option to convert the contract to a two-way contract sometime before the start of the NBA season (assuming his guarantee isn’t for more than $50,000, which would then make him ineligible)."

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      No surprise. Wonder which team will hire Webster as their President/GM in 2 years?
      Hopefully someone with a good 2nd Rd pick!

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
        Hasn't been clarified to my knowledge but Blake speculated that is likely the case:

"The deal probably contains what’s called an Exhibit 10, which will give the Raptors the option to convert the contract to a two-way contract sometime before the start of the NBA season (assuming his guarantee isn’t for more than $50,000, which would then make him ineligible)."
        Yeah, it's "probably" the case. I'd expect it of any training camp invite now. Some top guys might balk at it but I don't think Meeks is in a position to be picky.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Grange has an article where he's reached out to various front offices and agents around the league and he seems to be getting fed a market value for Lowry far below what I'd assumed. In the 25-30M range, and 3-4 years rather than 5 years. If true, the salary situation becomes a good bit easier this summer. Certainly won't be counting my chickens on that one just yet though.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-going-change/
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• the numbers in that article are all over the place in term of yrs. 3/$75m!? forget it. 4/$120m was top $ quoted and i believe that is closer to the truth. That's a lot easier to stomach than 5/$175m. It's a good deal, if we get it.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Grange has an article where he's reached out to various front offices and agents around the league and he seems to be getting fed a market value for Lowry far below what I'd assumed. In the 25-30M range, and 3-4 years rather than 5 years. If true, the salary situation becomes a good bit easier this summer. Certainly won't be counting my chickens on that one just yet though.

Regardless, I assume the Raptors try and bring back Lowry, Ibaka and Tucker, while also needing to shed either Carroll or JV, preferably Carroll. Do you agree with all or part of that?
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Regardless, I assume the Raptors try and bring back Lowry, Ibaka and Tucker, while also needing to shed either Carroll or JV, preferably Carroll. Do you agree with all or part of that?
                I agree with all of it. But if the asset cost is too high to dump salary, I think Masai will walk away from Tucker and just keep the top two guys. I'm sure he, and I, and everyone, would prefer Carroll could be shed cheaply, or that JV could be shed and yield a nice futures return. But those deals may not be there.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I agree with all of it. But if the asset cost is too high to dump salary, I think Masai will walk away from Tucker and just keep the top two guys. I'm sure he, and I, and everyone, would prefer Carroll could be shed cheaply, or that JV could be shed and yield a nice futures return. But those deals may not be there.
                  i dont see getting a futures return for jv? his future in the league is in doubt so im not sure someone would pay a piece of their future, unless its a problem child like d'angelo and lonzo is incoming, with a new gm.
                  kosta koufos anyone? be gentle with your pitchforks fanboys!

Comment

Grange has an article where he's reached out to various front offices and agents around the league

If Lowry really wants to go to Houston then we should do a sign and trade. Beverly/Gordon/Picks

Comment

Still not hot on losing assets and depth for KL and Ibaka. Probably a slight step back. I think Boston has a legit shot at signing Hayword because of the Hayword/Stevens connection, which separates them from the other second tier teams in the east, not to mention the Bucks will get better and Washington is still there.

The frequent counter is "I don't want to lose free agents for nothing, so sign Lowry and Ibaka keep them for a year and if things go bad trade them for a return." My concern is that the back end of Ibaka and Lowry's contract won't be appealing so the return after a year for both of those guys won't be great anyways especially considering the fact that you gave up a lot in salary dumps to keep them.

The eastern conference standings 5-8 will be bad next year with Chicago, Indiana and Atlanta set to take pretty clear steps backwards. If the goal is to have a competitive regular season team who could win a couple games in the playoffs, I would say take a bigger step back by letting at least 3 of the free agents walk, and try to get an asset or two with something like a cojo trade or a cheap signing. Let the young guys off the leash and see who excels. Obviously less guaranteed success, but potential to be longer lasting success.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                        Still not hot on losing assets and depth for KL and Ibaka. Probably a slight step back. I think Boston has a legit shot at signing Hayword because of the Hayword/Stevens connection, which separates them from the other second tier teams in the east, not to mention the Bucks will get better and Washington is still there.

The frequent counter is "I don't want to lose free agents for nothing, so sign Lowry and Ibaka keep them for a year and if things go bad trade them for a return." My concern is that the back end of Ibaka and Lowry's contract won't be appealing so the return after a year for both of those guys won't be great anyways especially considering the fact that you gave up a lot in salary dumps to keep them.

The eastern conference standings 5-8 will be bad next year with Chicago, Indiana and Atlanta set to take pretty clear steps backwards. If the goal is to have a competitive regular season team who could win a couple games in the playoffs, I would say take a bigger step back by letting at least 3 of the free agents walk, and try to get an asset or two with something like a cojo trade or a cheap signing. Let the young guys off the leash and see who excels. Obviously less guaranteed success, but potential to be longer lasting success.
                        How is there potential for longer success? You've lost good players and you're still capped out. You've become Atlanta of 2018
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          How is there potential for longer success? You've lost good players and you're still capped out. You've become Atlanta of 2018
                          Its a treadmill move, I just don't see a big difference between that move and signing everyone.

Comment

• Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                              Its a treadmill move, I just don't see a big difference between that move and signing everyone.
                              The difference is the difference between roughly 50 wins and somewhere between 30-40 wins. It's a pretty big difference.

You don't really have to shed much salary at all to keep the top two FA's, it's only if you want to keep one of Tucker or Pat that shedding a JV or Carroll (I think CoJo is gone either way, hopefully for some value) becomes necessary.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Rumour now is CP3 to HOU if they can clear the cap space, which should mean one less suitor for Lowry. That market is shrinking fast.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X