Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

Then how do we consolidate? If we are keeping Barnes (of course we are) and starting him (which we should be) then pascal has to go, or somehow morph into a legit floor spacer.
    Pascal is a decent 3-pt shooter. He can help space the floor. He's shooting 34% from 3pt this year. He shot 34.4% last year. In 2019 and 2020 he shot 36.9% and 35.9%. Get him a real PG to pass him the ball when he's set and he can nail them. Fred has to freaking go and be replaced by a real PG.

Comment

• Probably gonna use boucher down the stretch in playoff games if we ever get in. I remember a few months ago thinking poetl would be nice until seeing his ft%. Shudda balked at their offer

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Pascal is a decent 3-pt shooter. He can help space the floor. He's shooting 34% from 3pt this year. He shot 34.4% last year. In 2019 and 2020 he shot 36.9% and 35.9%. Get him a real PG to pass him the ball when he's set and he can nail them. Fred has to freaking go and be replaced by a real PG.
        Pascal isn't a legit floor spacer. Teams will let him shoot 3s to his hearts desire, and rightfully so. Poeltl, pascal and Barnes do not fit well unless one of them is near 38% +. Neither seems capable. A better PG will not alleviate that. Precious, I think, can get there if he pays more attention to his feet when shooting, but he'll be coming off the bench anyways. I agree, Fred should be moved, but scottie is the point in my imaginary raptor world. Can he get pascal the "better" shots that would boost his percentage?

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
          Probably gonna use boucher down the stretch in playoff games if we ever get in. I remember a few months ago thinking poetl would be nice until seeing his ft%. Shudda balked at their offer
          60% FT is plenty to keep teams honest and not hacking him.

Comment

• And we shudda got a truck full of seconds for fred if thats all there was

Comment

Pascal isn't a legit floor spacer. Teams will let him shoot 3s to his hearts desire, and rightfully so. Poeltl, pascal and Barnes do not fit well unless one of them is near 38% +. Neither seems capable. A better PG will not alleviate that. Precious, I think, can get there if he pays more attention to his feet when shooting, but he'll be coming off the bench anyways. I agree, Fred should be moved, but scottie is the point in my imaginary raptor world. Can he get pascal the "better" shots that would boost his percentage?
              Is Lebron a floor spacer? Because he's a career 34.4% 3pt shooter.

Comment

Is Lebron a floor spacer? Because he's a career 34.4% 3pt shooter.
                No, he is not.

Comment

• I think if you put OG in the lineup you can have 3 shooters on the floor at once. The real problem is that if Pascal has the ball at the elbow and both Jak and Scottie are on the floor, he’s gonna have a hard time getting to the rim. That’s where ball/player movement come into play though. These guys are all creative enough and dynamic enough to move the ball and cut to the rim etc. and get good shots. Pascal is going to have to iso less. I’m also ok with force feeding Scottie either corner threes or using him as a roll man where he can make a big to big pass or send it into the corner/wing to one of OG, Gary, or Fred.

Poeltl has to start though and I think he should play close to 30mpg consistently. Precious and Poeltl can absolutely play together.

Comment

No, he is not.
                    OK then we have a fundamental disagreement on the meaning of floor spacing if you think Lebron doesn't space the floor.

Comment

No, he is not.
                      how the hell is he not? on wide open 3s, lebron is shooting 39.2% lol.

Comment

• whether or not lebron spaces the floor is kind of an irrelevant question because he has the ball all the time. guys who have the ball don't need to space the floor, they just need to find the guys who do.

the problem with pascal and scottie sharing the floor is that they are both most effective with the ball and neither of them provide floor spacing. throw another non-shooter into the mix and the fit is even worse

Comment

Why in the hell would we continue the positionless experiment? I think Masai and Bobby know it's time to pull the plug on that. Maybe try 4 positionless guys and a center, because our defense is atrocious without a center.

I also question that our philosophy has been O spacing. Have you seen the roster?

Masai also said in the presser they need to become one of the top 3pt shooting teams. So it sounds like the change in philosophy has already happened.

The experiment was worth a shot but it clearly isn't working so we're moving towards something more traditional. Rim protecting center and 3pt shooters for spacing.
                          I don't think there's actually a clear plan right now. The success of position-less last year gave them confidence to believe that philosophy could actually work and maybe they were on to some new innovation. I think they're kind of shook right now that it's been exposed as a bit of fool's gold now that opposing coaches have seen it a few times. They were also hoping for Scottie and Precious to take leaps as shooters. And possibly even Banton. Those are the young guys Masai is talking about when he says 'be patient'.

But at the same time, the objectives for last season and this season haven't changed: it was to evaluate the winning potential of the FVV/Siakam/OG core + Nurse. Getting Jakob is part of that evaluation to remove any excuses. And you could be totally right.... they realize that they must have a traditional rim protector on the roster and play a more conservative defensive scheme. But I don't think that's been decided yet. Nurse already said he wasn't committing to playing Jakob in drop coverage because "we don't play that way".

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
                            whether or not lebron spaces the floor is kind of an irrelevant question because he has the ball all the time. guys who have the ball don't need to space the floor, they just need to find the guys who do.

the problem with pascal and scottie sharing the floor is that they are both most effective with the ball and neither of them provide floor spacing. throw another non-shooter into the mix and the fit is even worse
                            pascal does space the floor lol. i mean not even that long ago he was literally nothing but an energy guy. he went from a complete non-shooter to a decent 3 point threat AND from the midrange. literally no idea how people are coming to this insane conclusion that pascal doesn't space the floor. a non-floor-spacer is someone like poeltl.

we hope that scottie at least gets to where pascal is with the shooting and i dont think thats asking that much.

Comment

• This franchise pivoted multiple times in last few years. Plan A was to re-sign Kawhi. Boom. Failed. Next year plan was Pascal in place of Kawhi and try to repeat and then Bubble Happened. Then they wanted to make room for Giannis. Didn't resign Gasol and Ibaka to get that cap space. That also didn't work. Tampa season tank. Draft Scottie. He's so good management makes him untouchable in potential KD trade.

There was never clear plan imo. It's all opportunistic.
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post

pascal does space the floor lol. i mean not even that long ago he was literally nothing but an energy guy. he went from a complete non-shooter to a decent 3 point threat AND from the midrange. literally no idea how people are coming to this insane conclusion that pascal doesn't space the floor. a non-floor-spacer is someone like poeltl.

we hope that scottie at least gets to where pascal is with the shooting and i dont think thats asking that much.
                                yeah we have different definitions of a floor spacer i guess.

to me it has less to do with percentages and more to do with how a player is guarded (i.e. is the defense more likely to sag off or help off the offensive player, or more likely to stay attached to him). pascal is definitely a guy the defense is more concerned with attacking the paint or with guarding his short mid-range game, and therefore more likely to sag off or help off him, and therefore provides poor spacing.

he went off from 3 last night because he was wide open. he'll need more nights like that before defenses adjust and he provides good spacing.

even if it's about pure percentages, he is a below average 3 pt shooter (league average is currently 36.0%, and he shoots 34.0%)

edit: i agree with the last part of your post though. if scottie can get to pascal's level from distance he'll be on his way to becoming a top 5 to 10 player in this league one day
                                Last edited by chris; Sat Feb 11, 2023, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X