Game #9: Washington Wizards 107 - Toronto Raptors 96

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Hopefully, getting back to a "normal" EST game start will help against Chicago ....

Comment

• Can anyone tell me what JV is doing here?
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Last night sucked.. but Masai's plan is actually a simple one. His competition isn't Cleveland or GSW. He knows he can't beat Lebron or Curry/Durant without a superstar (or two). He knows he has no way of getting one realistically so he's hoping for luck in the next 3 years. Just like Houston, OKC, Memphis, LAC, SA, etc are. None of those teams have a chance against GSW, but they continue to try.

This team can beat any Eastern conference team (minus Cleveland) in a 7 games series. The luck is hoping Cleveland (ie, Lebron) finally fails somehow. There is a good chance as any that Lebron does go out West next year. If that happens, the Raptors could get to the finals. Beating GSW would take an implosion the level that took out Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton's Lakers but a finals birth is nothing to sneeze at.

I doubt Masai blows things up even if this team is out in the first round. I think this team (give or take a couple of role players) is here to stay for the next 3 seasons.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post

Can anyone tell me what JV is doing here?

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              The vibe amongst the starters seems a little odd right now.
              Starters have been off for awhile but it's still pretty early. And the first home game after a long road stretch is pretty tough they say so last night is a hard game to use as a gauge.

But if a change in the line up is needed, it won't happen without forcing Casey's hand. Casey keeps his rotations locked in until about the 3rd game of the playoffs. 4 out of the 5 starters are pretty much untouchable due to the size of their deals or in the case of Powell with his new extension. So that leaves JV. Sad to say but if Masai trades JV it will create a big enough domino that we might start seeing changes in both the starting line up and the bench (ie, Poeltl would finally get more minutes).

I'd like to see a few more games but by mid December if this starting unit still can't get the job done then I will probably throw my hat in the #TradeJV ring. The #FireCasey movement will also get strong, but after all this time expecting that to happen is unlikely.

Comment

The vibe amongst the starters seems a little odd right now.
                They just need to listen to DC and keep pounding the rock ... easy peasy

Comment

5 years later, his PNR defence is still gross. Just a lack of feel for the game.

Comment

• So. Possibly JV's worst game of his career, sleepwalking through this one. Ibaka barely looked better than JV, which is bad. Lowry wasn't really in the game either and got himself tossed. DeRozan reverted to DeRozan classic, bricking shots and basically never defending any player at any single moment he was on the court. Powell was forcing stuff again, all night, and was barely passable defensively. Just a horrid night for the starters all around. Putting them back in late is the very definition of insanity. I get that DeRozan needed to re-enter, the bench unit was running out of ways to fake that they could score. But the other guys? No thanks.

If BeBe needed a break, I try Poeltl over JV at that point. Heck, Poeltl should be getting minutes, period, but especially in that game, even though he looked completely outmatched in his early minutes. Siakam and OG should have been enough PF depth to get through the 4th with, zero need for Ibaka. Miles looked bad in this one, so I understand playing Powell a bit.

Anyway, this is not a talent or fit issue. The guys just didn't get up to play - just like the DEN game. It's becoming a concerning pattern. If this team is losing their edge, their fight... this season will not go well. That said, it's been two terrible games out of 9, not a great ratio, but they are still above .500 after one of the tougher stretches of schedule for the whole year, so it's not like the world is ending. Have to hope some easier competition and a little home cooking over the next 10-15 games helps them get their heads on straight, so they can show up the way they need to against the better teams in the league.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Turning point of the game. That shot by Beal was a back breaker.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Starters are having these slow starts for 3 years now? Common denominator is Lowry-Derozan-JV. Something is just not working there.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I'd like to see a few more games but by mid December if this starting unit still can't get the job done then I will probably throw my hat in the #TradeJV ring.
                          I'm not religiously opposed to it, but I don't see it happening, and last night was a prime example why: none of the other bigs can handle a player with Gortat's size. You need to have at least one bigger body on your roster for situations like that.

Although, I suppose that kind of player, on a smaller contract than JV's, could come back in a deal? Not sure, off the top of my head, who that might be.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I'm not religiously opposed to it, but I don't see it happening, and last night was a prime example why: none of the other bigs can handle a player with Gortat's size. You need to have at least one bigger body on your roster for situations like that.

Although, I suppose that kind of player, on a smaller contract than JV's, could come back in a deal? Not sure, off the top of my head, who that might be.
                            I think Bebe should have the quickness and length to bother and stay with Gortat. The strength and rebounding may be an issue though. I dunno.....Maybe my memory is wrong....But JV always seems to have trouble with Gortat. I'm sure someone will show stats to prove otherwise....lol

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                              I think Bebe should have the quickness and length to bother and stay with Gortat. The strength and rebounding may be an issue though. I dunno.....Maybe my memory is wrong....But JV always seems to have trouble with Gortat. I'm sure someone will show stats to prove otherwise....lol
                              doubt it, gortat has always obliterated jonas for whatever reason.

Yeah, he's good in the PnR and washington has fast guards. But even so, JV has actually done alright against good rollers before (usually the issue is stretch bigs).

Something mental whenever he plays against gortat and last night was no different.

Comment

• I can't quite put my finger on it, but I might dislike the Wizards even more than I dislike the Celtics.

Comment

Working...
                                X