X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave
    replied
    No interest in David West. He has stopped competing defensively + on the backboards and was always a mediocre efficiency scorer. Not a good player anymore.

Leave a comment:

• philwill
    replied
    hmmm

11-24 in the time period I was quoting.

BUT, it's not as easy as what you are suggesting. David West put up some of his best numbers of the season, Peja Stojakovic as well (although he missed most of March and all of April.

Not to mention SKETCHY minutes and marginal play (at best) from Okafor during those 35 games didn't help... not that he ever really found a rhythm with the Hornets last year.

I also disagree that this has anything to do with who should end up being the best PG. Only time will tell. Do I hedge bets on Collison? No. You would be misreading everything I have written to assume that. Would it make sense if the NOH traded Paul and kept Collison? Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    philwill,

What was the record of the team with Paul as the starter and with Collison as the starter? I think the answer says a lot about who should end up being the best PG.

Leave a comment:

• philwill
    replied
    Well, I didn't really have any credibility, so I don't know what you're talking about.

It's completely unreasonable to argue that Collison could not be better than Paul, especially without an argument. I'm not denying Paul's ability. I think he's probably one of the best point guards in the league -- if not THE best (especially statistically).

My point was that someone three years younger joined his team and averaged 19 ppg, 8.6 apg, 3.3 rpg, 1.5 stl in the last 35 games of the season, shooting close to 50%FG and 40% 3P, WITHOUT Chris Paul.

You're telling me that a franchise in shambles, economically and personnel-wise, is going to want to hang onto Chris Paul who sat out half the season and made over $13m when Darren Collison averaged practically the same numbers as him (IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR) after getting the chance to play, all for $12m/yr less?

How long is Paul under contract, what's his relationship with ownership like, does he enjoy playing on this team in its current state? What does he think about the new coach? How would new ownership perceive his salary in comparison to that of a rookie putting up similar numbers?

...and I wasn't arguing that he WOULD be... I was arguing he COULD be better than Chris Paul.

If you disagree, disagree with reason. Don't try and throw away what I was saying by attacking my supposed lack of credibility.

Leave a comment:

• TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Did Sam Smith start writing for The Bleacher Report?
    hahaha exactly what i had in mind.

I think this trade is a no-brainer. Youre essentially getting Bosh for Bosh plus a really good point guard. For some reason, West seemed liked he developed an allergy for contact and is now more of a jumpshooter than an inside presence. Definitely not as agressive as Bosh but definitely a 15-20/10 guy on any given night. Id take West and Collison then maybe trade Jose and Hedo for a dominant center, or draft one. The important thing after all of this is said and done is Bargs should have his feet planted on the starting PF spot.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Ya sorry Phil, Collison isn't going to be better then CP3. I agree with mo-sales in that Paul is the best PG since magic. If I was a NO fan, and my team traded away CP3 I don't think I could ever watch basketball again. It would be very similar feelings to my team losing Lebron.

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    replied
    IceeeD wrote: View Post
    I'd rather have Okafor than West though. Bargnani should have someone in the paint who does nothing but defend, rebound, make open shots, and block shots. Adding West will probably give us the defense-less front-court tandem next year.
    really? the guy they traded for okafor was better than okafor. i'd defnitely rather have west and might puonce on that deal.

Leave a comment:

• mo-sales
    replied
    Phil, sorry bro you just lost your credibility.

Chris Paul is best the point guard since Magic. Did anyone watch him before he got hurt last year? He was unable to miss shots, everything from everywhere was dropping. If they can add a premier wing player, watch out.

Sure the deal sounds great, but I can make 25 other great deals where Bosh goes to teams he doesn't want to go to.

NO is in chaos right now, they have two all star caliber point guards, a rookie coach, a change in ownership, a shaky foundation in New Orleans and Peja's massive expiring contract which is likely to dictate the future of Chris Paul. Bosh would be a fool to invest the next 6 years of his life into such a shaky situation.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Bosh gave a list of 5 teams he wants to go to, and on top of that he wants to be the franchise player, what more is there to get?

Leave a comment:

• philwill
    replied
    hmmm

dudes,

do you really think collison is available? he could end up better than paul!

he plays less minutes (a lot, in fact), but when he plays starter minutes, he's a force!!!

look at Collison's stats for over 30 mins, closer to the midseason mark in his rookie year (his only year) to see what I'm talking about.

I think it might actually be more realistic that the hornets move Paul, despite his popularity, especially considering his injury record.

That would crush the whole deal.

Leave a comment:

• Raptomist
    replied
    Sam Smith purports to be extremely connected, but he floats more rumors a week than there are flies on a cow. Since he's in a big market and writes for a major newspaper, agents and GM's probably use him to create smokescreens and further their personal causes. Smith is also the guy who said he'd heard from various "reliable sources" that the Raptors are finding it increasingly difficult to attract players because NBA ballers expect preferential treatment and Canada Customs wouldn't provide it. So according to Sam, the word is out in the NBA - don't play in Toronto!

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Guys, West gives you a lot of the same things as Bosh, only he's going to cost you less than half per season as Bosh. Not to mention he doesn't miss many games. He would be an excellent replacement at the 4, there wouldn't be much loss in production at that position with him there and then you also get a young PG who has future all-star written all over him. I don't think you can expect the Hornets to give up Okafor in a trade for Bosh. It makes absolutely no sense for them. They can't be expected to contend throwing two PF out there who pretty much have the same game.

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    It's a little much for a sign and trade but it's not a bad deal. I'd rather have Okafor too, he plays more D and would give us the defensive anchor we've needed for so long.

Leave a comment:

• Brain Colangelo
    replied
    Nice deal. West is not ideal for the Raps but at least you're getting something back.

Leave a comment:

• Marz
    replied
    I doubt Bosh will go to a team unwilling to spend into luxury tax territory. Though with the new CBA, that might be moot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X