Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For everyone crapping on this signing, they'd go berserk if the Raptors signed Haywood for the amount of money he's going to get on the market - plus they don't have the cap space. So technically he's available, but not to the Raptors. Even if we get a TPE from CB's S & T, Dallas wants to keep him. Maybe we can sign E. Dampier for cheap once he gets his contract voided whereever he ends up, but he'll probably go to a contender or a team with cap space will overpay him. Plus I don't think he's worth getting. There just aren't a lot of
    CENTER, a true 7 footer that will play D and rebound and anchor the defense.
    out there.
    Last edited by Mess; Thu Jul 8, 2010, 11:05 AM.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
      I like Kleiza, but having him and Turk is redundant. I'd rather see Kleiza than Turk to be honest, especially if Linas is cheaper.

Under the current situation (assuming Turk stays), we do not need another forward, either 3 or 4. We need a CENTER, a true 7 footer that will play D and rebound and anchor the defense allowing Bargs to shift to his natural position. Brendan Haywood is available; however, he'll be a bit more expensive.

Source: http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...nts/index.html
      They are not redundant because Kleza can play the #2 and #3 and come off of the bench.

The bigger question here is if Kleiza does in fact wind up in a Raptors uniform and Turk stays what is going to happen to Weems minutes? Will Triano play some small ball with Kleiza and use him at the SF along with Bargs or Johnson at the center slot and Turk at the PF? Remember, Turk did play some #4 last season.

This signing will give the Raptors a lot of depth and flexibility at the #2, #3 and #4.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Damn, if we are going into rebuild, then why sign this guy. He is not athletic, Can not run the floor and is at best an average defender.

Someone plz fire BC NOW

Comment

No one saw this coming eh?

I think this is a solid signing. He was a good backup for Carmelo back in the day and was part of the whole "all the good players are going to Europe" craze a couple years back. The Nuggest were very sorry to see him go but he got offered more money to play overseas.

And don't worry about Weems minutes. He can split them with DD easily. Relax, the SF is where we have the least depth right now.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

2. Lottery luck (since there's no chance we'll be bad enough to finish bottom 5 over the next 3-4 years)
            no chance?! you are an optimist...

Lottery luck is a key to any rebuilding. There are many examples from the past... and present (OKC, Spurs). I will just give one example when lottery luck did not transfer to expected success in recent years: the Bulls!
            Immediately after their 2nd tree peat in 1999 they had the first pick (Brand), then numbers 4, 4, 2, 7, 3, 9, 1, in subsequent years... what do they have left now? Only the last two (on my list): Noah and Rose. The Bulls should have had an amazing roster based solely on the draft if they had better management. Let's hope the Raptors hire two-three top scouts (yes, international too!) and have a 3-4 years plan to rebuild this team. And yes, this means losing many games in the next few years...

oh, and please get rid of the long bad contracts of Jose and Turk right now!

Comment

If he can defend reasonably well and he isn't demanding the ball all the time, then I'd say he's someone we could definitely use. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Who cares where he's from? Garbo was my favorite player until he broke his leg and had to be put down. (kidding)

From the various descriptions I've seen, he's young, hard-working, a decent defender and NOT a ball hog. Works for me. If he gets along with Demar and Sonny, we're golden!

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                A mediocre team full of long term contracts given to players lacking in upside, is actually just about the worst platform from which to rebuild or retool.

1. Drastic improvement from some combination of Bargs, DeRozan and Davis (and I mean drastic, because none of these guys really project to more than 2nd or 3rd banana)
                2. Lottery luck (since there's no chance we'll be bad enough to finish bottom 5 over the next 3-4 years)
                3. Trading away our solid young assets for an established star to put around the rest of our bad long term contracts
                Who exactly from Derozan, Weems, Johnson, Davis, Bargnani and Alabi is lacking of potential and upside? All six of those players define potential and upside. I would also like to point out that Derozan, Weems, Davis and Alabi are all on rookie-scale contracts.

All three of your propositions are definite possibilities for how the Raptors can get better. They are precisely why having a stable of good, competitive players is an asset.

Comment

Nets & Travis Outlaw agree to a 5 year, $35M deal reports ESPN's @RicBucher
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5363686

Anybody want to change their minds?

Or is it still a bad signing, relative to that one or not?
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Holly just tweeted. Most recent tweet is on top.

# stackmack

He then had a hug for former Denver Nuggets teammate Sonny Weems. He did not speak with media. 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Holly MacKenzie stackmack

At the end of practice for the Vegas summer league team, Linas Kleiza walked into the ACC practice court and greeted coach Jay Triano. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post

Now, this is what you call a deal Not the 35 that we paid.

Someone plz fire BC before he burns this team to ground.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post

So... he's younger than Outlaw, relatively comparable in skill, and our offer to him was one year less and $2 mill per year less than Outlaw got? Do I have that right?

That sounds like a good signing to me if Denver doesn't match.

Comment

linas kleiza is pretty good

Comment

Good signing for reasonable amount. Kleiza is a winner, he helped denver almost make it to the finals and he went to the european championship finals and was the leading scorer on the team. Lina is a great baseline player, shoots corner 3's really well and drives the baseline hard for dunks. If they could add childress, brewer or outlaw to Lina we would have had a great off season. Here' too the hope

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                              Now, this is what you call a deal Not the 35 that we paid.

Someone plz fire BC before he burns this team to ground.
                              Outlaw is terrible. This is a worse signing by the Knicks than Thomas used to do.

You have to double Outlaw's WS/48 to equal Johnsons.

Outlaw----- .062----Career .078
                              Johnson----.150-----Career .159

Offense and Defense Rating. The difference is also pronounced significantly in Johnson's favor.

Outlaw Career---- Net Minus 4
                              Johnson Career----Net Plus 16

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...johnsam01.html

Comment

great signing!

Comment

Working...
                                X