Raptors Underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Underrated?

We keep seeing sources like ESPN (Hollinger), NBA (David Aldrige), and even Charles Barkley claiming our team is going to do bad this season. And I'm just wondering why? Constantly throughout the Bosh era, it was said that he wasn't much of a leader. All he did was average 24 and 10 for us. To replace him, all we need to do is just make up for the points and rebounds lost, which I think the development of DD, AJ, and Sonny will make up for this season. We also added Kleiza and got rid of the parasite Turkoglou. Our team is still horribly defencively as it was last year, but I don't see the major drop off in points contribution that would lead us to be such a horrible team. Does anyone else??
    Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Bosh brought a lot more to the table than 20 something points and 10 rebounds. More goes into this than into a fantasy basketball team. Who's going to get to the line 8-10 times a game? Who draws the double teams? Who develops the consistency game to game that allows the Raptors to still be in the game going into the fourth quarter? Who steps up and becomes a leader in the locker room and on the court because we can say what we want about him as a leader but no one on the team questioned or challenged his leadership.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Bosh brought a lot more to the table than 20 something points and 10 rebounds. More goes into this than into a fantasy basketball team. Who's going to get to the line 8-10 times a game? Who draws the double teams? Who develops the consistency game to game that allows the Raptors to still be in the game going into the fourth quarter? Who steps up and becomes a leader in the locker room and on the court because we can say what we want about him as a leader but no one on the team questioned or challenged his leadership.
      RASHO!!!.. nvm he's gone too

Comment

I think Bosh's departure also has some upsides like being able to play true up-tempo ball while not having an all-star wanting to slow the game down with his low-post abilities... I also think that Bargnani will flourish more as Bosh never seemed to have good chemistry with him (very rare for Bosh to grab the board and kick it out to an open man, especially bargs for some reason)... as per your getting to the line point, I think Ed Davis is the type of low-post player who can get to the line and make consistent free throws as he's not like Bosh in terms of often shying away from contact and settling for fadeaway J's, and we also saw Derozan's willingness to go to the line in LVSL.. despite it being LVSL we now know that the potential is there for him to find the rim or get fouled whenever he wants to. All in all, I too think that we'll have no problem scoring, now with Barbosa added in our arsenal as well...

As for the leadership department, I think Bosh was the type of player you feared as a teammate because of his experience and all star status, so since we'll have no one like that.. it could be an issue for the younger guys to stay motivated/disciplined during practices and games... although I can see J Jack becoming the Raptors' Derek Fisher to fix this issue
        Last edited by playmak3r5; Tue Jul 27, 2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

im sorry but when somethings right, its right. as of right now now, our team if a bunch a puzzle pieces that dont quite fit well together. some are good pieces, but will only get better with experience and more talent. clearly we have some talent but no where near where the upper echelon of the nba competes year in and year out.
          im a die hard raps fun to the fullist, but im also a realist and its obvious that our reputation is not going to get any better the next couple of years so lets just keep the faith and keep the future in perspective.

Comment

But who will replace his FTA, his ability to attract a double team, and the ability to create a shot. Our team as it stands is still weak on defense and got worse on offence. Demar first has to tighten his handle before he can take the next step as a premier player in the NBA and Bargnani needs to improve his footwork in the paint and his shot-selection (and his rebounding and defence).

Comment

oh, hogwash. whoever takes it strong to the rim get's fouled so there's your free throws jack is a player who will step up in the lockerroom, whoever drives to the basket draws double teams, as for consistency i don't know.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Nicely Said , + 10000.

Comment

playmak3r5 wrote: View Post
                  I think Bosh's departure also has some upsides like being able to play true up-tempo ball
                  What's so great about up-tempo ball? It hasn't won squat in the league.

while not having an all-star (Bosh) wanting to slow the game down with his low-post abilities...
                  First, Bosh doesn't have low-post abilities and second, Bosh wouldn't be slowing an up-tempo scheme if the team wasn't so dependent on him to produce every possession.

I also think that Bargnani will flourish more as Bosh never seemed to have good chemistry with him (very rare for Bosh to grab the board and kick it out to an open man, especially bargs for some reason)...
                  I would rather have my center grab the rebound than leaking for a fast break.

as per your getting to the line point, I think Ed Davis is the type of low-post player who can get to the line and make consistent free throws as he's not like Bosh in terms of often shying away from contact and settling for fadeaway J's,
                  Ed Davis is a far way from being Bosh.

and we also saw Derozan's willingness to go to the line in LVSL.. despite it being LVSL we now know that the potential is there for him to find the rim or get fouled whenever he wants to. All in all, I too think that we'll have no problem scoring, now with Barbosa added in our arsenal as well...
                  I’m hoping DeRozan will be pleasant surprise. As for Barbosa, he sucks, just watch when the season starts.

As for the leadership department, I think Bosh was the type of player you feared as a teammate because of his experience and all star status, so since we'll have no one like that.. it could be an issue for the younger guys to stay motivated/disciplined during practices and games
                  I’m assuming when you say experience, you mean veteran. So let me try to reiterate,

Bosh is not only feared by his teammates because he’s a veteran and an allstar. But because he was a veteran and an allstar, our younger players were less disciplined and less motivated. Does that sound about right?

…explain.

... although I can see J Jack becoming the Raptors' Derek Fisher to fix this issue
                  Jack is a far way from being Fisher.

I don’t mean to single you out but it seems like many people are drinking Colangelo’s koolaid and regurgitating its crap back onto everyone. Everything you said is pretty much what Colangelo is trying to get across on any media outlet. Fast pace exciting ball, young movement.

I’m not saying Colangelo is a bad GM, I wouldn’t know where to begin to evaluate whether a GM is good/bad. However, it’s one thing to have faith in Colangelo, it’s another to blindlessly believe everything he says and preach it like the gospel.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                    Nicely Said , + 10000.
                    i agree aswell but bosh was more of a lead by example type leader rather then having that leader personality aswell like the true great leaders have like KG for example.

i think not having bosh will effect our team for the better aswell though, more ball movement, less stagnant bosh iso's that end up as streak ending bricks, 1 less weak PF that gets manhandled by most other big's, even some wing players have given bosh fits in the past.

the raptors prob wont be better next year without bosh unless theres drastic change b4 the season tipoff, but they will be better in the long run without rupaul

Comment

What has the majority of the players in this roster ever done to warrant being rated higher than they are currently at? Potential? That's all we ever talk about when we talk about our players. Potential. The evidence, the numbers, they all clearly state that this team is not talented enough. An already mediocre team just lost it's best player, top scorer, rebounder, etc. and added some unproven rookies and a couple of journeymen bench players and suddenly we're a better team? That just doesn't make sense.

We definitely did not improve, at least not on paper. Time will tell if the paper is right, but I can't really blame everyone for rating the Raptors poorly as of now. They do not have the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of the league, and rightfully so. They are the underdogs, and they have to prove themselves first before anything's given to them.

Comment

Bosh was never a leader. He missed 7 games with a slight sprain and then sucks for 4 more games after he got back from the sprain. The fact that Bosh had given up in the second half of the season is a real good trait for your leader. If the GM, reporters and fans noticed that Bosh checked out, don't you think his teamates felt a little weird that the best player on the team has checked out . The raptors will have better leadership without Bosh.
                        Secondly Bosh was rarely double teamed. I think the raptors will be in the top 10 in scoring.

Comment

Arenick wrote: View Post
                          We keep seeing sources like ESPN (Hollinger), NBA (David Aldrige), and even Charles Barkley claiming our team is going to do bad this season. And I'm just wondering why? Constantly throughout the Bosh era, it was said that he wasn't much of a leader. All he did was average 24 and 10 for us. To replace him, all we need to do is just make up for the points and rebounds lost, which I think the development of DD, AJ, and Sonny will make up for this season. We also added Kleiza and got rid of the parasite Turkoglou. Our team is still horribly defencively as it was last year, but I don't see the major drop off in points contribution that would lead us to be such a horrible team. Does anyone else??
                          i think were better defensivly because
                          a.johnson is better defensibly then bosh
                          ed davis is better defensibly then bosh
                          kleiza is better defensibly then Turk
                          the player we are getting(does not matter because jose is the worst defensive pg in the whole league) i better then jose
                          ya dun noe

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            oh, hogwash. whoever takes it strong to the rim get's fouled so there's your free throws jack is a player who will step up in the lockerroom, whoever drives to the basket draws double teams, as for consistency i don't know.
                            Until someone actually starts drawing fouls and double teams, it's not hogwash at all. You need to earn respect from the refs to get fouls, and respect from the coaches to get double teamed. Right now, none of our players have that. I hope they can develop it throughout the season, but it took Bosh a number of years to get to where he was last season. It doesn't happen overnight, and it certainly won't happen overnight for DeRozan or Bargnani.

Comment

what was the benefit of chris bosh attracting double teams?

as i recall, he RARELY ever even thought about looking for an open shooter when he was double teamed

the most he'd do was that retarded dead octopus carcass arm flailing flop

Comment

Working...
                              X