Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Wright?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happened to Wright?

    He played amazing for like 7 games straight then his time got cut, then cut again then he was benched for the whole game yesterday. Is he injured or something?

  • #2
    Role player not playing his role. His role is to suck on the bench.

    Comment


    • #3
      J-Roc wrote: View Post
      Role player not playing his role. His role is to suck on the bench.
      Man, I can't even look at ur posts without seeing JRoc and hearing "nooooooooouummm sayin" in my head lol!

      Comment


      • #4
        RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        He played amazing for like 7 games straight then his time got cut, then cut again then he was benched for the whole game yesterday. Is he injured or something?
        He's a role player. Jay tightened his bench last night and Wright suffered because of it.

        Comment


        • #5
          I agree, why he does not get more burn is completely baffling.

          First, completely ignoring advanced statistics, and from religiously watching almost every raps game, he played a critical role in arguably the 3 biggest wins of the season: W in Orlando, franchise best comeback for the W in Detroit, and W in Dallas. I watched and rewatched those games, and he was without a doubt, a huge catalyst in some extremely impressive quarters of basketball.

          Second, some statistics. Julian Wright has the highest defensive rating on the team, by a long shot. With the raptors comfortably holding down the 2nd worst defense in the league, it only seems logical to play him more. He also has the 2nd highest offensive rating on the team. The offense seems to flow very nicely with him on the floor at times, and I would argue he is the raptors top playmaker after our point guards. In addition to these metrics, he also has a team high 2-year adjusted +/-, which accounts for both the teammates and opponents on the floor at the time.

          I'm not saying Wright should play 35 minutes a night, but he has proven time and time again to deliver when called upon, and a slow consistent increase in his minutes could do some good. What have we got to lose?

          Free Ju-Ju!

          That is all.

          Sources:

          http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...ff/order/false
          http://basketballvalue.com/teamplaye...-2011&team=TOR

          Comment


          • #6
            AllDayBreakfast wrote: View Post
            I agree, why he does not get more burn is completely baffling.

            First, completely ignoring advanced statistics, and from religiously watching almost every raps game, he played a critical role in arguably the 3 biggest wins of the season: W in Orlando, franchise best comeback for the W in Detroit, and W in Dallas. I watched and rewatched those games, and he was without a doubt, a huge catalyst in some extremely impressive quarters of basketball.

            Second, some statistics. Julian Wright has the highest defensive rating on the team, by a long shot. With the raptors comfortably holding down the 2nd worst defense in the league, it only seems logical to play him more. He also has the 2nd highest offensive rating on the team. The offense seems to flow very nicely with him on the floor at times, and I would argue he is the raptors top playmaker after our point guards. In addition to these metrics, he also has a team high 2-year adjusted +/-, which accounts for both the teammates and opponents on the floor at the time.

            I'm not saying Wright should play 35 minutes a night, but he has proven time and time again to deliver when called upon, and a slow consistent increase in his minutes could do some good. What have we got to lose?

            Free Ju-Ju!

            That is all.

            Sources:

            http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...ff/order/false
            http://basketballvalue.com/teamplaye...-2011&team=TOR
            To be complete honest I don't pay any attention to the statistics put out, I just, like you watch all the games and form my opinion based on what I know of playing (not that I made it too a high level) and watching (come from a family full of ballers) the game of basketball and what I know IS your assessment is 100% accurate to what I am seeing. The kid with his, at times, uncoordinated self, HAS GAME.

            with that said I will mos DEFinately join on the FREE Ju Ju wagon!

            and multipaul you kill me lol
            Last edited by grindhouse; Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:29 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Julian's role is to come off the bench and be a spark, to bring energy into the game. If he's out there in he 1st quarter and he doesn't get the job done, then who brings that spark? But I do agree with the fact that he needs more burn. This team could use more "spark".

              Comment


              • #8
                This post may lead me to becoming the Raptors resident conspiracy theorist, but I think Wright is being played the way he is for a reason. I think that Colangelo is trying to manufacture trade bait. He got Wright for very little, and is trying to move him into a slot to get much more back. He is showcasing what Wright does very well, and trying hard to hide what he doesn't. I know it's far fetched, and I know it's insanely complicated, but as everyone seems to agree, Colangelo doesn't seem to see Wright here long term. So why bring him in, at a position he already a "good" rotation for, unless it was to showcase him for trade. Play him enough to have people doing what we are doing, which is calling for him to get more burn, and for stat guys to build him up as a good steady role player. You then package him with some other trade bait, and you make a trade that you couldn't have otherwise. You increase demand by limiting supply. Right now GM's can only speculate how good Wright could become because of the limited sample size, but damn does that sample size seem enticing. Just a thought.

                Comment


                • #9
                  bigbubbamac wrote: View Post
                  This post may lead me to becoming the Raptors resident conspiracy theorist, but I think Wright is being played the way he is for a reason. I think that Colangelo is trying to manufacture trade bait. He got Wright for very little, and is trying to move him into a slot to get much more back. He is showcasing what Wright does very well, and trying hard to hide what he doesn't. I know it's far fetched, and I know it's insanely complicated, but as everyone seems to agree, Colangelo doesn't seem to see Wright here long term. So why bring him in, at a position he already a "good" rotation for, unless it was to showcase him for trade. Play him enough to have people doing what we are doing, which is calling for him to get more burn, and for stat guys to build him up as a good steady role player. You then package him with some other trade bait, and you make a trade that you couldn't have otherwise. You increase demand by limiting supply. Right now GM's can only speculate how good Wright could become because of the limited sample size, but damn does that sample size seem enticing. Just a thought.
                  My theory is the team by not playing the guy is not playing to win (aiming for a higher draft pick) and as added bonus deflating his value so a resigning / lack of incoming offers (him being a rfa) becomes easier.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bendit wrote: View Post
                    My theory is the team by not playing the guy is not playing to win (aiming for a higher draft pick) and as added bonus deflating his value so a resigning / lack of incoming offers (him being a rfa) becomes easier.
                    "If it were so, it is a grievous fault, and grievously should BC & JT pay for it"
                    W. Shakespeare

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Multipaul wrote: View Post
                      Man, I can't even look at ur posts without seeing JRoc and hearing "nooooooooouummm sayin" in my head lol!
                      You can't not be feeling this...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        J-Roc wrote: View Post
                        You can't not be feeling this...

                        lmao

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X