James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJF wrote: View Post
    And if my mother had a dick she would be my father...

We have no idea who will be drafted, where we will pick, who will be available. Other than the 4 spot right now, it looks like we could use a future starter at all positions. I am holding out hope that Jonas is a legit NBA player, but he as yet to play a game in the league yet.
    Like all the players in this year draft.

I totally agree with the idea of picking the best player available. The roster can be adjusted afterwards.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I agree with everything you've written with the exception of him starting. He can earn a very good contract if he embraces being an energy player and defensive stopper off the bench. The closest comparison I can think of in 30 seconds of thought is Tony Allen in Boston.
      What I meant about him starting is just an observation that I have made, some guys play better as starters, as if they need a psychological boost to their self confidence or something. What I mean to say is that in this Raptor's lineup, he will serve us better as a starter rather than someone coming off the bench. Going forward, all depends on how the draft plays out, and how he continues to play this year; its too early for me to make judgement on him whether he is our "future SF" all that I can say is if he keeps playing the kind of defense he is playing, and starts putting up 10-12 pts a game with around 5 rebounds, a blocked shot, and a decent FG% I would be happy having him start for the next couple of years (unless of course a MUCH better player came around).
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        What I meant about him starting is just an observation that I have made, some guys play better as starters, as if they need a psychological boost to their self confidence or something. What I mean to say is that in this Raptor's lineup, he will serve us better as a starter rather than someone coming off the bench. Going forward, all depends on how the draft plays out, and how he continues to play this year; its too early for me to make judgement on him whether he is our "future SF" all that I can say is if he keeps playing the kind of defense he is playing, and starts putting up 10-12 pts a game with around 5 rebounds, a blocked shot, and a decent FG% I would be happy having him start for the next couple of years (unless of course a MUCH better player came around).
        I understand the psychological boost idea. Metta World Peace tweeted something to the effect of he now has much respect for people coming off the bench.

My feelings are, even with a high shooting percentage, James Johnson should not be starting for the Raptors in the future. However if he is starting, with the type of numbers you are suggesting, then he should be like the 4th or 5th option. In other words, there should be 3 or 4 guys ahead of him in terms of offensive ability. Marvin Williams comes to mind as a guy with those types of numbers (although this year his 3pt is awesome but his fg is the same as his 3pt i.e. both are around 40%) but he is behind Joe Johnson, Al Horford (when healthy), Josh Smith, and sometimes Teague. You would need true offensive threats at multiple positions to have JJ as your starter *on a good team*. This is just my opinion and hopefully that makes sense.

Having a player like Rudy Gay or Danny Granger (before this year) as your small forward with James Johnson coming off the bench to relieve at SF and some spot minutes at the 4 for about 20 minutes per night would be a wonderful thing and a big time difference maker in the game. Of course, all this assumes JJ is capable of playing this way consistently which thus far he has not shown.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

His defensive tools really are his calling card, though. I can't think of too many SFs in the league who can block shots like he does. He's quick enough and smart enough to know when he can shift to help without leaving his guy wide open -- that's defensive instinct that you can't teach (eg. Bargs, who is working his tail off to hedge on shooters, but still seems to hold the hedge too long and can't always make it back to his guy in time). He does sometimes close out too hard and fouls jump shooters, but so does this whole team right now. I think that's the next big defensive adjustment that needs to come -- they're all doing what Casey is telling them by not allowing any uncontested shots, but because they're still learning how to help and recover, they're often late closing out and end up diving at, or worse, past the shooter rather than closing out under control. I think it will come, and it will make a BIG difference -- fewer fouls, more truly contested jump shots, lower opp FG%, more run-outs on O.
          Lebron comes to mind, but I agree.

I really like Johnson -- work ethic, attitude, intelligence -- so I'm a little biased in hoping he can continue to show something. The team also really, really needs a 3 who can do something, anything to positively affect the outcome of a game...
          100% agree Jimmie.

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
          As for his defense. I think he has the chance to be a special player defensively in this league. He has a knack for blocking shots, he is strong and can defend even the biggest SF's in the league, he has quickness, and he can rebound. He just needs to stop fouling jump shooters and he is good to go. I like what he brings to the raptors on the defensive side of the ball, and if he can bring some consistency to his game (10-12 pts a game) it will make a huge difference. I see him being a key piece with the raptors moving forward, any thoughts?
          I am with you there, the key being consistency.

slaw wrote: View Post
          The biggest issue Johnson has is that he has too many brain cramps. Jack Armstrong said last night on one possession that he's "too loose" with his game sometimes. That's exactly his problem. If he could clean that up (or even limit it like he did last night to one or two stupid plays) he will stick around the NBA. I look at a guy like Matt Barnes for example. No reason JJ couldn't find a niche like that by playing solid defense, rebounding, and having the odd game where he puts up points.
          He's still fresh in the league in terms of minutes, I think it will come with experience. I hope...

I for like JJ, was very happy when the trade happened, and want him on the team long term. I agree with others here though (Matt one of them) that he best serves the team coming off the bench and playing 20-25mins per game. I would rather have a Rudy Gay type starting, and if JJ becomes that then great I will change my tune, but I don't see it. I do think he will be more than Matt Barnes, but certainly of that ilk.

Comment

• If you look at the total amount of minutes he has played he is probably close to what Demar played in his rookie year with us. We have seen how much Demar has grown since his rookie season. That means the mental mistakes that JJ makes in the heat of the moment are probably from inexperience and nerves and they should go away as he becomes more experienced. Physically he is a specimen very good size and strength from the SF position, and that is something that you can't teach that is natural. If he can work on his shot to the point where he can sink the open mid-long range jimmy he can be a decent weapon.

I dont think that I can ever see him being a superstar in this league, but honestly I dont think it is unrealistic to see him develop into a 12 pts, 5 reb, 2 ast, 1 blk per game guy. And those are great numbers. A guy who puts up those numbers can start on my team anyday, the only guy who will replace him is someone with the same numbers who puts up like 20pts a night.

Defensively he has great instincts, but sometimes has bad judgement (over committing, fouling jump shooters at crucial times) these are also mental mistakes that will also be resolved with experience playing in the heat of the moment. I think at the very least he has earned himself a few more starts at the SF, and we can re-evaluate his growth with plenty of time to make a decision at the end of the year.

If he starts making that jump shot with consistency I am excited for him and this team.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I understand the psychological boost idea. Metta World Peace tweeted something to the effect of he now has much respect for people coming off the bench.

My feelings are, even with a high shooting percentage, James Johnson should not be starting for the Raptors in the future. However if he is starting, with the type of numbers you are suggesting, then he should be like the 4th or 5th option. In other words, there should be 3 or 4 guys ahead of him in terms of offensive ability. Marvin Williams comes to mind as a guy with those types of numbers (although this year his 3pt is awesome but his fg is the same as his 3pt i.e. both are around 40%) but he is behind Joe Johnson, Al Horford (when healthy), Josh Smith, and sometimes Teague. You would need true offensive threats at multiple positions to have JJ as your starter *on a good team*. This is just my opinion and hopefully that makes sense.

Having a player like Rudy Gay or Danny Granger (before this year) as your small forward with James Johnson coming off the bench to relieve at SF and some spot minutes at the 4 for about 20 minutes per night would be a wonderful thing and a big time difference maker in the game. Of course, all this assumes JJ is capable of playing this way consistently which thus far he has not shown.
              Well if we can get a talent along the lines as a Gay or Granger, then johnson would definately be coming off of the bench, but those kind of players usually already have homes in the NBA. I agree that James would be the 4-5th option behind Barbosa, Calderon, Bargnani, and Demar Derozan (though Demar's FG% has been less than stellar this year). If he was to develop into a Marvin Williams type player than I think we would be pretty happy. I feel like he can be a Marvin Williams who can be a difference maker on the defensive end, sort of a cross between Josh Smith and Marvin Williams lol.

Josh Smith used to struggle with his shot as well, but he developed it, and he looked impressive in the last game against the raptors, what I am saying is who knows how much James Johnson can improve. It all depends on how ambitious he is, and what his work ethic is like.

Comment

• He's a good defender. I give him that. Given an additional task of scoring is too much to ask. He's not a starter and still prefer a healthy Kleiza over him to start.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• His offensive game has been great lately, with very few 'brain cramps', and even an improved jumpshot. If he somehow keeps it up, I wouldnt mind him starting for the raps for the long term.

Comment

• I actually like JJ in the starting lineup because of the consistent D and toughness that he brings to the floor. If he could model his game after Bruce Bowen I'd be overjoyed.

Kleiza would be an ideal 6th man with the way he's playing. Good offensive spark off the bench who can come in and carry some of the load when Bargs needs some rest.

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                      His offensive game has been great lately, with very few 'brain cramps', and even an improved jumpshot. If he somehow keeps it up, I wouldnt mind him starting for the raps for the long term.

on the raps for a long time is better. not starting on the raps for a long time. if he plays within himself he could make starts as a stopper in situations but unless his offense becomes much better/consistent he isn't starter material.

Comment

• James does seem to be settling in over the last few games. Although it is on a low sample size, he is shooting 40% from 3 this year, as his shot selection improves and the team starts to gel a little more offensively, he may be work himself into a reliable spot up 3 point shooter. Defensively we all love the steals and blocks, he, like many of our guys, needs to get more consistent on the glass. I still think he has room to grow and could be a great glue guy as a starter.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• I'm liking his development. Having said that, we have seen him have three good games in a row only to regress for two or three. I think Casey is using him just right. I think Casey is good for the growth of his players. Being very specific with them about what he wants to see them do, what their role is, sitting them down when they are not fulfilling their role and letting them run when they are should be a confidence builder. Same way a kid with strong consistent parents who establish boundaries grows up into a strong confident adult, I think these players are becoming better. Maybe I'm seeing more than is there, but when the players talk about Casey, you can tell somethign is really different. they trust him completely it seems, and have all bought in. JJ included.

Comment

• JJ is the thabo sefolosha of the raptors. If we draft a stud SF then he'll be coming off the bench next season

Comment

• It's going to be a luxury to have a defensive spark like James Johnson coming off the bench when this team has its pieces in place to take a step forward.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                It's going to be a luxury to have a defensive spark like James Johnson coming off the bench when this team has its pieces in place to take a step forward.
                                Definitely.

Comment

Working...
                                X