James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp wrote: View Post
    So are you saying that PPat shouldn't work on his post-up game, or Ross shouldn't work on going into the paint? I hope you aren't, because that would be really bizarre and I wouldn't know how to respond. The truth is, you want Patterson to improve his post-up game, so that if a team switches a smaller, mobile perimeter defender onto him, you can take advantage of that and have him post the guy up; you want Ross develop a good driving game so that he can punish guys who get up on him and try to force him off the line. In short, you want to take away an opponent's options in terms of how they shut down your best skills.

The key in developing the offensive skills of players is finding what they're good at, and then finding complementary skills that allow you to maximize what they're good at. For a guy who's great at getting the ball at the 3-point line and driving, a decent 3-point shot is the ultimate complementary skill. Johnson has been playing great for us this year, but on offence he's still a bit one-dimensional in terms of what he's doing within the flow of the offence. And one-dimensional players get shut down in the playoffs, because they're predictable and easy to scout. Opposing coaches will force Johnson into shooting situations, and when they do, his effectiveness is going to be determined in part by how much he is allowed to work on that role in the regular season.
    Yes, if you shoot 40% from 3 why work on his post moves. If TRoss is dangerous from 3 then he needs to either use the PnR for open shots off the dribble or learn to feed the roller. Great shooters are rare. Steph Curry isn't driving, he'll take an easy layup but his shot opens a lot of passing lanes. Love is a good shooter but the Cavs need a PF on the interior more. Regardless of how much Demar or JJ work they will always be mediocre shooters.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Yes, if you shoot 40% from 3 why work on his post moves. If TRoss is dangerous from 3 then he needs to either use the PnR for open shots off the dribble or learn to feed the roller. Great shooters are rare. Steph Curry isn't driving, he'll take an easy layup but his shot opens a lot of passing lanes. Love is a good shooter but the Cavs need a PF on the interior more. Regardless of how much Demar or JJ work they will always be mediocre shooters.
      http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...449/kevin-love
      5 3s a game

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/.../terrence-ross
      5 3s a game.

really the smallest amount of time looking at the numbers will show you that kevin love is not parked in the lane. i don't have advanced stats but i would think around 20-40% of currys' points come off drives as well. his handles are fucking sick.

Comment

Essentially you are suggesting that if a player has some strengths, he should stick to them. And that every player on the team have designated roles. And that every other team they play against would immediately know what their roles were and how to guard them most effectively. And that an alien would implant cosmic wisdom into Casey's mind so that he can somehow create an offense that works with cardboard cutouts of NBA players who have limited and singular roles to play.

Okay. I see that. Makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          Essentially you are suggesting that if a player has some strengths, he should stick to them. And that every player on the team have designated roles. And that every other team they play against would immediately know what their roles were and how to guard them most effectively. And that an alien would implant cosmic wisdom into Casey's mind so that he can somehow create an offense that works with cardboard cutouts of NBA players who have limited and singular roles to play.

Okay. I see that. Makes a lot of sense.
          It does. Ross and 2Pats are playing because they shoot threes JV posts , Demar draws fouls, Lowry run the offense. Everyone has a role and as long as they execute and defend they play. Crap teams have players doing shit they aren't good at.

Comment

It does. Ross and 2Pats are playing because they shoot threes JV posts , Demar draws fouls, Lowry run the offense. Everyone has a role and as long as they execute and defend they play. Crap teams have players doing shit they aren't good at.
            No duh. The whole premise of this conversation is that James Johnson IS a good 3 point shooter.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
              No duh. The whole premise of this conversation is that James Johnson IS a good 3 point shooter.
              Tbh JJ has pretty good form on his shot.

Comment

Tbh JJ has pretty good form on his shot.
                Most people are arguing:

IF James Johnson were the same player he is now, but shot better from 3
                THEN he would be a better player

You disagree and are saying:

THEN he would be a worse player
                "Bruno?
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Most people are arguing:

THEN he would be a better player

You disagree and are saying:

THEN he would be a worse player
                  Then he would be LBJ and Toronto would not have him and he wouldn't have been in the D-league.

Comment

Then he would be LBJ and Toronto would not have him and he wouldn't have been in the D-league.
                    Exactly. Which is why it was kind of a joke to begin with, and my original response was "then his salary would be 10 mill".
                    "Bruno?
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Exactly. He would be Lebron. It would certainly not make him worse. Thank you for finally understanding lol
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• He needs a shot that can be at least honored. If they start leaving him on perimeter and give him space and daring him to shoot it'll become a problem. 1-3 3P FGA per game from corners would be nice.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          He needs a shot that can be at least honored. If they start leaving him on perimeter and give him space and daring him to shoot it'll become a problem. 1-3 3P FGA per game from corners would be nice.
                          Not at this point though. It'd be nice if he had it, but he's playing his role well right now.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Not at this point though. It'd be nice if he had it, but he's playing his role well right now.
                            oh yeah I agree not now. I mean from development stand point.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                              Exactly. He would be Lebron. It would certainly not make him worse. Thank you for finally understanding lol
                              hahahahahahahahahahahjahahahahah. spat out my drink.

Comment

Yes, you're right, it sometimes does change a player. But I bet I could point to a lot more guys who would be WORSE without a 3 pointer than guys who would be BETTER without one.

AND the Toronto Raptors have a coach. A coach is supposed to tell players their roles and how to behave on court.

There is a possibility that JJ starts shooting a ton of threes and never driving, but I'm not sure the chances of that are much higher than his current chances to start playing iso ball on every play.

There's a huge difference between adding a 3 to your game and relying on one. It's kind of silly how hard you're pushing this.
                                Totally.

There is no, and I mean ZERO argument that can prove that increasing a skill in a sport is not a good thing. The actual idea that one would argue against improvement is absurd.

Comment

Working...
                                X