Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We Done With The Euro-Centric Drafts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are We Done With The Euro-Centric Drafts?

    The name being floated around is Enes Kanter, a 6-foot 11-inch, 272-pound C/PF from Turkey. Is he good? I dunno. Imagine my horror when I went on ESPN's draft simulator and he came up for the Raptors.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft

    Yes, I know it is set to "Harrison Barnes" right now. But not before. No, it was locked in on "unknown European talent that might or might not ever show up." Congrats on using your picks on The Invisible Man. Checking our recent draft picks is a bit of a horror story. Well not if you demand harsh consonants and a lot of "k's." And a lot of bad drafting.

    Looking at the Raptors draft picks is a carcrash at times.

    2004
    1st - 8. Rafael Araujo (just before Iggy)
    2nd - 39. Albert Miralles (?)

    2005
    1st - 7. Charlie Villaneuva (ugh, Joey Graham bad), 16. Joey Graham (UGH)
    2nd - 41. Roko Ukic, 58. Uros Slokar (seriously, were you just going for hard k sounds?)

    2006
    1st - 1. Bargnani (to quote Simmons "Bargs scores 24 pts/3 rebs, gives up 42 pts/14 rbs)

    PJ Tucker, Edin Bavcic (STOP IT), no drafts in 2007 but wanted to take Milovan Rakovic and/or Stanko Barac, 2008 Hibbert @ 17.,

    Finally DeRozan in 2009. Ed Davis in 2010.

    Can we all agree it is time to let the experiment go? Stop with the Euro projects.
    -Tim W.

  • #2
    i don't want another european on our team. We need a PG screw this Enes Kanter guy. If they draft this guy im going to kill BC.

    Comment


    • #3
      If they know what's best for them they will not draft a euro

      Comment


      • #4
        Don`t hold your breath, not a lot of quality players will come from Europe this year. I don't think Kanter is worth a lottery pick. Late in the 1st round probably someone will draft Vesely (Czech player from Partizan Belgrade), there are couple other players mentioned in mock drafts, but nothing spectacular. I would take a chance with Nikola Vucevic in the 2nd round (plays for USC Trojans). I haven`t seen a lot of him, but his father was fantastic player in Yugoslavia (his mother played basketball as well). He can shoot AND he can rebound as well. (Raptors connection: Kevin O`Neal is his coach)

        Comment


        • #5
          Only one "euro" drafted in the first round...and chosing euros in the 2nd round is generally a smart move (develop in euro league rent free).

          ...and an argument can me made that we have drafted one of the top 5 players in each draft we had a pick since 2006. The draft has not been our issue under BC's watch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Are we done with racist, ignorant talk? I guess not.

            Anyone who cares whether a player is from Europe, the US or Mongolia needs to get their head out of their ass and stop watching Fox News. If a player can play, who the f@#k cares where he's from?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

            Comment


            • #7
              i don't think we shouldn't draft a euro just for the sake of drafting a euro, kanter is a different monster than that pssy we call a centre, bargnani. If irving is gone (or doesn't look like the player we thought he is) and the best prospect left is kanter, and we determine his knees aren't completely shot than by all means draft him.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't really care if they are black or euro. I just want BC to get the player available who can play passable D at worst.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow lots of ignorance going on here. Just because a guy is European doesn't mean he's not a good player or that he's soft. Just draft the best player available no matter where he's from.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    alot of players coming out of that league are not great defensive players, they are more skill players we need defense right now. I think you guys are reading too much into things you should realize that people are talking about the league and not the color of their skin.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      alot of players coming out of that league are not great defensive players, they are more skill players we need defense right now. I think you guys are reading too much into things you should realize that people are talking about the league and not the color of their skin.
                      A lot of players are coming out of the NCAA that are not great defensive players. I'm not going to paint everyone with the same brush, though.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Are we done with racist, ignorant talk? I guess not.

                        Anyone who cares whether a player is from Europe, the US or Mongolia needs to get their head out of their ass and stop watching Fox News. If a player can play, who the f@#k cares where he's from?
                        santimo wrote: View Post
                        Wow lots of ignorance going on here. Just because a guy is European doesn't mean he's not a good player or that he's soft. Just draft the best player available no matter where he's from.
                        You can press the easy, righteously indignant button. Or read what it actually says. The thread is concerning reaching for foreign born players. We have done it a lot in Toronto. Even reaching on the #1 pick. Get the best quality player you can. Who will come to camp. We need bodies, not empty drafts.

                        And if it sounds like it is intended to be humourous it probably is.
                        -Tim W.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If Kanter is the best player available, I'd be more than happy to select him. His upside is just as good as anyone's in the draft. He's a bull in a china shop down low, invites contact and is a solid defender.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            they should just draft honkies.

                            the raps have had more minority draft pick flops than honkies.

                            that's not racist at all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              If Kanter is the best player available, I'd be more than happy to select him. His upside is just as good as anyone's in the draft. He's a bull in a china shop down low, invites contact and is a solid defender.
                              He was the player not allowed to play @ Kentucky?
                              And if he plays like that I'd take him. It a serious need we have to fill.
                              -Tim W.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X