2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Four out of five writers are Hoopsworld.com taking part in a "consensus mock draft" slotted Valanciunas in at #3. There was a indecision at virtually every other pick besides this one.
    I was a little surprised by that.

I think Valanciunas has more upside but is a greater gamble.

Personally this is an awful time of year for Raptors fans. Bring on May 17th already.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Personally this is an awful time of year for Raptors fans. Bring on May 17th already.
      No kidding on all counts.

Comment

True he does have the most upside. If you think about it that's Colangelo type of players. Look back in his history he like to take chances with players with the best upside. Shawn Marion, Amar'e, Nate Robinson(didn't live up to it), Andrea Bargnai(didn't live up to it), Demar Derozan(too soon to tell), Ed davis(to soon to tell). Yup Jonas Valanciunas fits the mold.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          True he does have the most upside. If you think about it that's Colangelo type of players. Look back in his history he like to take chances with players with the best upside. Shawn Marion, Amar'e, Nate Robinson(didn't live up to it), Andrea Bargnai(didn't live up to it), Demar Derozan(too soon to tell), Ed davis(to soon to tell). Yup Jonas Valanciunas fits the mold.
          Um, Nate Robinson probably shouldn't be included here considering he was a draft-day trade to the Knicks? Not only that but what exactly is a 21st overall pick supposed to live up to? I'd say he was pretty good value for the 21st pick.

Comment

• Quixotic wrote: View Post
            Um, Nate Robinson probably shouldn't be included here considering he was a draft-day trade to the Knicks? Not only that but what exactly is a 21st overall pick supposed to live up to? I'd say he was pretty good value for the 21st pick.
            Agreed. For a 21st pick, Nate Robinson has had a very successful career.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Terrence Jones Leaves Draft
              http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...s-to-kentucky/

Comment

• To bad out of everyone I thought he was rdy but good for me. Now that he has went back he should stay 4 years and make a great collage career for himself

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                  Where ever we landed in the lottery it would of been too high for him.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

NBAdraft.net doesn't even have him in their mock draft anyone. They must be worried about him not entering this year... Maybe due to his contract issues?

Now that I remember, I think he has some similar contract issue to similar those of Tiago Splitter and Fran Vasquez.

Comment

NBAdraft.net doesn't even have him in their mock draft anyone. They must be worried about him not entering this year... Maybe due to his contract issues?

Now that I remember, I think he has some similar contract issue to similar those of Tiago Splitter and Fran Vasquez.
                      Yeah NBAdraft.net has him in next years draft.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It is always tough to tell the players under contract in Europe true intentions. In an interview he said his contract was no issue however it appears to be a rather large issue from other sources. I am always curious how much the 18/19/20 year olds draft aspirations have to do with securing a larger contract in Europe. I'm sure the dream is to play in the NBA at some point but maybe not immediately.

Much like medical examinations, I'm sure these things are examined very thoroughly if a team is truly interested.

Comment

• DEC 2010 Article

"With that said, Valanciunas isn't necessarily willing to leave at all costs. “I want to go to the NBA when I can play,” he told us. “Not to go there and sit on the bench. If I go and sit on the bench that not good for me and it's not good for the club.”

Valanciunas' European agent, Sarunas Broga, says that its “too early to say what's going to happen, but the decision about the NBA will ultimately be made by Jonas.”

He plans on using the next few months to learn more about his draft stock and the teams that will likely be picking in the lottery—with the help of Valanciunas' new American agents, Leon Rose and Steven Heumann of CAA—and reach an agreement with Lietuvos Rytas about a sliding buyout scale figure to get out of his contract if needed. An invitation to play in the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland in April is also in the works."

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1LoBl7lN9
                          http://www.draftexpress.com

Comment

• Thorpe: Leslie, Leonard fit NBA style

I don't think these two are on our radar, but it was a good read nonetheless and in the ESPN Insider section

Watching the NBA playoffs is a great way to see why teams value some players over others. Anyone can appreciate guys who can shoot, score or rebound. But every possession becomes so important in the NBA playoffs, so each action gets magnified and scrutinized.

One trend hitting the league right now, especially in the postseason, is the way teams are sending their athletes from the weak side to hunt drivers attacking the rim and try to block or aggressively contest the shot. We can see guys abandon their man spotting up behind the 3-point line in order to crash down to make that paint play while depending on a teammate to chase out the open shooter should the man with the ball kick it out. In numerous cases, more than one helper runs into the paint to make that play. There are teams sitting home now and dreaming of fielding athletes like Tony Allen, Sam Young, Serge Ibaka, Trevor Ariza, Joel Anthony, Ronnie Brewer, etc., to help make plays for them defensively. Of that group, and there are others to consider, only Brewer was a lottery pick, but each guy has been a huge part of his team's success. So which players currently projected outside the top 10 stand to gain from this trend?

The first two guys I think of are Travis Leslie and Kawhi Leonard. Both guys have huge question marks about their offensive games, specifically as shooters. But considering their length, strength and motor, each guy should be able to make numerous impact plays as a wing defender. Guys like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade have made it cool for wings to chase down opponents streaking to the rim and swat the layup as it leaves their hand, and it's easy to imagine Leonard and Leslie doing similar things. The key for these two is that although they have work to do on their offensive skill games, each plays with a good feel for the game and neither is the type of player to try to make plays they're not ready for, and thus be a turnover machine. Teams drafting outside the lottery in the first round are almost always playoff teams, and adding stud athletes like these two is a strategic move that can help pay off next spring.

Tyler Honeycutt is another wing player who teams can place in the "makes lots of defensive plays" category. Though he has shooting and passing skills, his sleight frame bothers some teams. (He's listed at 6-foot-8, 188 pounds.) Most teams, however, will look at his shot-blocking skills and think about what that means for them going forward. He led the Pac-10 in swats, a rare feat for a perimeter player, and blocked shots are something that typically translates well from college to the NBA. Honeycutt has not shown the hot motor that runs nonstop like Leslie and Leonard, but his production as a defender is proof that he can be someone to help provide energy and defensive playmaking early in his career.

Two other guys who can be pegged as future shot-blockers coming from the weak side are Chris Singleton and Kenneth Faried. They will both have a defensive impact with their energy and shot-blocking skills. It is one thing to be long and bouncy, but another to play with athleticism at almost every opportunity. Singleton has been a terrific defensive player in the ACC for two years, and Faried has dominated small schools and big ones with his huge heart and talent.

Teams looking for someone who can help defend primary scorers will lock in on each of these guys, and their value goes up considerably when factoring in their ability to snuff out baskets at the rim. If you doubt the importance of that, then watch Nene getting three point-blank shots blocked late in Game 5 of the first round against Oklahoma City. This was a premier big man, perhaps the most valuable upcoming free agent, and late-first-round pick Serge Ibaka prevented his dunk attempts to save the game and clinch a series for the Thunder. Teams drafting in the 20s were thinking of the famous Will Smith line from "Men in Black": "I have got to get me one of those." As it turns out, teams in the lottery may just beat them to one of these defensive gems.

There is one guy playing in the playoffs who might help a future first-round pick, and it has nothing to do with defense. Greivis Vasquez, perhaps the worst perimeter athlete under the age of 25 in the NBA, has had some huge games for Memphis, thanks to his crafty play and ability to remain confident and aggressive with the ball (even after making some big mistakes). He's made numerous hard drives to the basket, and since he's deemed the least dangerous offensive player on the floor, he draws no help on those drives. It's not pretty, but he's made numerous crucial buckets. So which player lacks athleticism with the ball but has tremendous craft to get by people, along with advanced shot-making skills and excellent shooting range? None other than Jimmer Fredette. He should send Greivis a thank-you card.

Comment

• ESPN Insider Fraschilla: Kanter the top international prospect

Kanter once again top of the rankings internationally. Dunkin Ninja takes #2. Worth posting just in case Colangelo goes the international route.

Last year, at the 2010 NBA draft, I felt like the guy in the old Maytag repairman commercials. There wasn't much need for me to be around on ESPN's draft coverage because it was a quiet night for drafting international players, as only one went in the first round.

Most of the best international prospects decided to eschew the opportunity to stay in the draft in the hopes that they would continue to gain experience playing in Europe and improve their stock. And with many top college freshmen deciding to return for their sophomore seasons next year, many of those international players did help themselves.

If everything goes according to form, this draft could have the most international players selected in the first round since eight were selected in 2003. Here are some names you need to know:

1. Enes Kanter, 6-foot-10, Turkey
                              Although college basketball fans didn't get to see Kanter play at Kentucky, he has been a high-level prospect for the past three years in Europe, where he dominated the junior level. And while he hasn't played in an organized game since last year's Hoop Summit, he may be the most NBA-ready international prospect.

In fact, last year in Portland, Kanter scored a Hoop Summit record 33 points and grabbed 14 rebounds against a USA front line that included Ohio State's Jared Sullinger, North Carolina's Harrison Barnes and Kentucky's Terrence Jones.

Kanter, who turns 19 on May 20, is a power forward who invites contact around the basket, is a sneaky-quick jumper, has a nice shooting touch out to the college 3-point line and has an agility and footwork that belie his 262-pound frame. Had he played college basketball this year, he would have had the same impact on John Calipari's Wildcats team that Sullinger had for the Buckeyes.

While it's tough to draft a player like Kanter with the first pick because he didn't build up a résumé this season, an NBA team that doesn't need a point guard like Kyrie Irving, will give the young Turkish player a long look. He's currently working out in Chicago with famed NBA skills guru Tim Grover.
                              2. Jan Vesely, 6-11, Czech Republic
                              I first saw Vesely at the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy, as a 16-year-old in 2007 and he spent the four days there as a relatively nondescript young big man. But I do remember camp director and Minnesota Timberwolves director of international scouting Pete Philo told me at the time that Vesely might be the best international prospect born in 1990, a group that includes Spanish sensation Ricky Rubio. Philo might be right.

Vesely is easily one of the best athletes in this draft and I'll predict he wins an NBA dunk contest someday. In fact, the youngster, who plays for Partizan Belgrade, is a clone of former NBA star Tom Chambers. (Check Chambers and Vesely out on YouTube.) He plays with good energy, runs the floor well and moves great without the basketball. In addition, his easiest adjustment should be at the defensive end because he can guard both NBA small forwards and most NBA power forwards.

Offensively, Vesely is more comfortable at power forward because of his below-average ballhandling skills and an inconsistent jump shot. Ultimately, Vesely should find himself selected among the first eight picks, in part, because of his NBA-level athleticism.

3. Jonas Valanciunas, 7-foot, Lithuania
                              While Kanter and Vesely may be more ready to play in an NBA game right now, many feel that Valanciunas is the best long-term international prospect in this draft. The big Lithuanian has been, like Kanter, a star on the European junior circuit and was the European Under-16 MVP in the summer of 2008 when NBA teams first started tracking him.

Valanciunas will turn 19 years old on Friday and his combination of size, agility and athleticism make him very enticing for a team willing to wait for him to physically mature. Conversely, with this perceived to be a weak draft compared to next year, he may find himself drafted higher this season while he stays in Europe to develop, especially with a lockout looming.

Like most young big men his age and lack of strength is a concern, and he does not have a developed low-post game to rely on. Yet he shows signs of developing a nice jump hook and he is an active offensive rebounder. If he stays in this draft, he'll be selected in the mid-to-late lottery.

4. Donatas Motiejunas, 7-foot, Lithuania
                              Motiejunas is another promising big man who could be drafted by the end of the lottery. Although not as athletic as Valanciunas and Vesely, nor as physically strong as Kanter, he's becoming a polished post player who will turn 21 in September.

Although Motiejunas is in the midst of a very productive season at Benetton Treviso in the Italian Lega A, there are aspects of his game I am not in love with. He must learn to play through contact in the low post and develop better body balance around the basket. In addition, he must improve his passing ability and his basketball instincts are average.

On the plus side, Motiejunas is a good midrange shooter who can play in a screen-and-roll system. He uses both hands around the basket, as well.

Although Motiejunas could be an effective rotation player for an NBA team in time, I don't see his ceiling being as high as the other three Europeans who could go in the lottery. His game experience, however, in Europe will get him on an NBA floor as soon as any international player in this draft.

5. Bismack Biyombo, 6-9, Congo
                              Don't let anyone tell you that there are no longer any secrets when it comes to international NBA prospects. I guarantee you that no more than three NBA teams knew the name Biyombo before January of this year. Now, some scouts consider the young big man from the Congo a potential lottery selection.

Biyombo arrived in Spain only 21 months ago and was playing in the farm system of ACB club Fuenlabrada when he was called up to the main team midway through the season. Because of his NBA-ready strength, athleticism and a 7-7 wingspan, he was an instant contributor as an 18-year-old. (Although there are some questions about his true age.) And after playing in last month's Nike Hoop Summit, Biyombo recorded a triple-double and displayed ridiculous athleticism, assuring himself a spot in the first round.

Biyombo is a Ben Wallace-type player who, while a defensive presence, has a very, very limited offensive arsenal. He has no go-to moves at all, is a poor passer out of double-teams and has limited basketball acumen because of his lack of game experience. And, unlike fellow countryman and budding NBA star Serge Ibaka, he doesn't have any face-up game at all. Ibaka always had good shooting form but only recently has showcased it for the Thunder.

It likely won't matter how raw Biyombo's offensive game currently is, as there are few in this particular draft who can affect the game on the defensive end with shot-blocking and rebounding like he can.

6. Bojan Bogdanovic, 6-8, Croatia
                              Bogdanovic is 22 years old, so it's understandable that he plays with the type of maturity of someone with a lot of high-level playing experience.

I got to see Bogdanovic play again last summer at the FIBA World Championships in Istanbul, Turkey, where he averaged 12 points a game and scored 17 against Team USA, knocking down five 3-point shots. Along with his shooting prowess, he is a deceptive athlete and takes the ball to the basket with toughness. In fact, his size and skill level reminds me of former NBA small forward Matt Harpring.

Bogdanovic is already one of the best young players in Europe and an NBA team would have to gauge his interest in coming to the United States. If he is serious, he could be an excellent pick in the backside of the first round for a team looking for a solid rotation player, in time.

7. Nikola Mirotic, 6-10, Montenegro
                              Writing about Mirotic may be academic because, although he has declared as an early entry for the draft, he has just signed a long-term deal with Real Madrid, extending his contract with the Spanish team until 2016. In addition, he was recently selected as the Euroleague's 2011 Rising Star as the league's best young prospect.

Mirotic is the classic European stretch power forward who is very comfortable playing both inside and out. The 20-year-old plays with toughness above what you see at the college basketball level and is a very skilled offensive player.

It is not likely that an NBA team would waste a first-round selection on Mirotic without an assurance that he could buy his way out of his current contract, but he is certainly worth a second-round pick in order to secure his NBA rights in the future.

8. Lucas Nogueira, 7-0, Brazil
                              Nogueira is an intriguing prospect who burst onto the scene last summer at the FIBA Americas Under-18 Championships in San Antonio. In fact, when I walked into the arena at Bill Greehey Arena to see him for the first time, I was stunned to see such a young player with his size and length. He has the perfect shot-blocking basketball body.

Although Brazil lost in the finals to Team USA, he had 22 points and 14 rebounds and finished the entire tournament with 27 blocked shots and made a name for himself in front of the numerous NBA scouts.

Although armed with his crazy length and terrific athleticism, Nogueira is nowhere near physically ready to play in the NBA. And, like Biyombo, his defensive skills are far ahead of his offensive game. Two years from now, Nogueira may very well be a lottery pick but if he stays in this draft, he will be drafted on purely potential from the middle to the end of the first round.

9. Davis Bertans, 6-10, Latvia
                              Nike Hoop Summit director Rich Sheubrooks was prescient enough to select the unsung Bertans for the game in Portland and the 18-year-old Latvian will earn a spot in the first round if he stays in this draft.

In both the workouts and in the Hoop Summit game, Bertans showed an outstanding shooting touch out to the NBA 3-point line because he has terrific lower body strength. And, in addition to his shooting, he can put the ball on the floor well for his size. Gaining upper-body strength will be his biggest obstacle, but he has plenty of time to make that happen.

Bertans was impressive enough last summer in the European Under-18 Championships to sign a professional contract with Union Olimpijca, the same team that developed current NBA guard Goran Dragic. And NBA European scouts took notice, as well. While he is not ready to play key minutes for a quality NBA team, enough decision-makers saw him do some things in Portland to make him a very promising prospect for a team willing to wait a while.

10. Leon Radosevic, 6-10, Croatia
                              Who? Radosevic is a teammate of Bojan Bogdanovic at Cibona who has averaged impressive numbers in the Euroleague this past season without an effective low-post game.

He averaged almost 13 points and six rebounds, based on his ability to run the floor, score in the pick-and-roll game and knock down a midrange jump shot. In addition, although his young team struggled in Euroleague, he plays with the intensity of a winner.

Radosevic's lack of physicality in the paint would render him ineffective, at the moment, in the NBA. But if he stays in this draft, he's your classic early second-round steal in terms of simply owning his rights. With maturity, the 21-year-old will develop into a high-energy power forward who may, one day, be able to stretch a defense with his jump shot.

Comment

• Kemba can thank J.J. Barea, for showing that a pg at 5.9 can be a star in this league.
                                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                                X