No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want Irving so bad. Even if he doesn't fall to us I'll be extremely disappointed if we walk away from the draft without him. Considering the way everyone was throwing around draft picks I don't think a top 3 pick will be as valuable as normal. We should easily be able to trade up for him. If we end up with another big I'm going to be fucking livid.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• The talent in the top five seems solid from everything I've read and seen but there is no consensus #1 or top three even... Seems like the sort of time when the Raptors' "luck" would kick in and land them in the #1 spot. If they're selecting #1, pulling the trigger on Irving is going to be a more difficult move given he's lost the current season due to injury.

Comment

• mangokid who wrote that article

Comment

• Thanks for sharing Mango! Great read.
          Interesting quote there about Jones.

"The team picking him will expect to feature him as a scorer as soon as he arrives, and that has to happen as a power forward."
          Not sure I agree with this. The dudes only 6'-8" and hasn't really shown the ability to reeally bang with guys that are sometimes carrying an extra 60-70 lbs on them, if not much more.

Though the part there about him having a slow second step makes me wonder how effective he will be as a SF in the league.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            Want Irving so bad. Even if he doesn't fall to us I'll be extremely disappointed if we walk away from the draft without him. Considering the way everyone was throwing around draft picks I don't think a top 3 pick will be as valuable as normal. We should easily be able to trade up for him. If we end up with another big I'm going to be fucking livid.
            The year the Raps got Bargs they were suppose to draft 5.
            NJ was suppose to pick 1 last year and picked 3.
            BOS were suppose to pick 1st in 2007 but got 5 and the rest is history.
            CHI were suppose to draft 9 when they got ROse #1.

We'll have to wait and see where we draft before writing anyone off.

Comment

• I was thinking about BC's drafting history the other day and had a thought....

I think if BC has the chance, he will roll the dice on Perry Jones

He has taken a lot of guys with high athleticism/upside that were "raw" "unpolished" before. eg. Amare, Marion, DeRozan, which have worked out pretty good for him. Granted, those guys were later in the draft, but also when he had the top pick in 2006 (which is probably most similar to this one in recent history) he went with the sexy, homerun pick in Bargnani, even though Aldridge was a more conventional player.

Of course the knock on Perry Jones is that he doesn't have a high motor, doesn't play tough (if he did, he would be a surefire #1). But I think BC is as likely as any GM to overlook these things and swing for the fences.

So yeah if the choice comes down to Perry Jones and a lot of more solid guys like Sullinger/Jones, I think BC will take the homerun pick.

Thoughts?

(apologies if discussed already)

Comment

• Updated Standings:

Toronto 16 42
                Washington 15 41
                Sacramento 14 41
                Minnesota 13 45
                Cleveland 10 47

As much as I love seeing my teams win, I'd rather see the young talent play well but lose games (minus a win or 2 against the likes of Miami and Boston).

Bottom 3 in the league would be nice at this point. Either way I predict the Raps will pick 2nd overall.

Comment

• Raptors draft overall 3rd pick in 2011 draft
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Faried (Morehead State Eagles) had 15pts on 5/10 and 5/6FT, 13rebs, 1stl, 4blks last night. Lots of good things about his work ethic and aggressiveness.
                    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Feb 25, 2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• DOH!!

The Cavs paid a heavy price for this pick, taking back the remaining $28 million of Baron Davis' contract. Given the salary difference between the guys they sent out (Mo Williams and Jamario Moon) and Davis -- they essentially paid roughly $12 million for a pick the Clippers claim they didn't want.

The trade really has two major ramifications for the Cavs. First, with Williams gone and Davis clearly not the point guard of the future in Cleveland, sources say that Duke freshman Kyrie Irving is now the No. 1 target for the Cavs. For the past month we've had Perry Jones (who now slides to No. 2) on their draft board.

ESPN.com

Comment

• That could change though. The Cavs aren't in a situation where they need to fill one specific hole. They're in desperate need for a high talent player at all positions and so I think they'll pick the best player on their draft board. If that's Irving then darn but that means somebody with more upside is going to fall because of it. Irving is being described as a solid safe choice but he doesn't have the explosiveness or upside of a Derrick Rose or John Wall. I was hoping for Irving just because it would seem like a safe choice in a position that the Raptors will soon need a long term answer on. Then you need to consider the fact that the team with the most lotto balls rarely wins the lottery. They could conceivably fall as low as 4th.

Comment

• People need to remember we haven't even had the NCAA Tournament yet. Most drafts are HUGELY influenced by players play in the tournament. Mock Boards will change drastically during, and after, March Madness.

I can almost promise there is someone not being mentioned in the Top 20 who will climb up the board based solely on his play during the tournament. Gordon Hayward ring a bell?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            People need to remember we haven't even had the NCAA Tournament yet. Most drafts are HUGELY influenced by players play in the tournament. Mock Boards will change drastically during, and after, March Madness.
                            Excellent point. Irving has already slipped a little in many mock drafts because of what other guys have shown while Irving is sitting on the sidelines all season.

DeRozan's value dropped most of his only college season and then he "got it" close to the end, lead his team way further than anyone expected and suddenly he climbed the draft boards again ending up going here at 9th and pushing a lot of guys down like James Johnson for example.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Then you need to consider the fact that the team with the most lotto balls rarely wins the lottery. They could conceivably fall as low as 4th.
                              Exactly. The team with the most lotto balls has a 1 in 4 or 25% chance to win. In other words there is a 3 in 4 or 75% chance they won't win.

The same holds true for the Raps. They could be slated to pick 3 or 4 and fall to 5 or 6 (PLEEEEASE GOD NO!).

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Excellent point. Irving has already slipped a little in many mock drafts because of what other guys have shown while Irving is sitting on the sidelines all season.

DeRozan's value dropped most of his only college season and then he "got it" close to the end, lead his team way further than anyone expected and suddenly he climbed the draft boards again ending up going here at 9th and pushing a lot of guys down like James Johnson for example.
                                I could see Tristan Thompson having a huge tourney for the Longhorns and moving up the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X