2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Barnes came in to the year as the consensus #1 for just about everyone - ESPN, DE, NBADraft.net.

If he doesn't go #1, in my mind, he slipped. If the Raps are picking 4/5/6/7 and they get him I think it could be a similar Davis situation but for different reasons. Davis slipped due to injury, Barnes would have slipped due to not living up to expectations.
    Coming in #1 consensus doesn't mean jack shit when he utterly failed in college. If they take that guy I'll need to goo hunt down BC. Out of all the guys in the draft that will be [might] available at 5 (Irving, Jones, Fredette, Walker, Knight) I don't want him taking someone who hasn't proven anything but that he was really hyped up then came into college and get shut the fuck down.

ceez wrote: View Post
    Is this a serious post?
    Yes, like I said in my earlier post. Fredette is a beast offensively, extremely hard worker, very coachable and an underrated passer. Yes he does pass, he has lower assist then rest of the guys because his team is trash. Even with that though he manages to put up 5-8 assists regularly.

BTW He's also very clutch so he could help this team immensely down the stretch.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Mar 5, 2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      Coming in #1 consensus doesn't mean jack shit when he utterly failed in college. If they take that guy I'll need to goo hunt down BC. Out of all the guys in the draft that will be [might] available at 5 (Irving, Jones, Fredette, Walker, Knight) I don't want him taking someone who hasn't proven anything but that he was really hyped up then came into college and get shut the fuck down.

Yes, like I said in my earlier post. Fredette is a beast offensively, extremely hard worker, very coachable and an underrated passer. Yes he does pass, he has lower assist then rest of the guys because his team is trash. Even with that though he manages to put up 5-8 assists regularly.

BTW He's also very clutch so he could help this team immensely down the stretch.
      If that is how you feel TOR would not only have drafted DD, he most likely never would have made the NBA. There is more o young players or college players than stats. It is a different game at the next level.

Comment

If that is how you feel TOR would not only have drafted DD, he most likely never would have made the NBA. There is more o young players or college players than stats. It is a different game at the next level.
        There is a difference between the 9th pick and a 5th overall pick and I don't see why you guys are acting like Fredette doesn't have potential.

Just because the NBA is different doesn't mean the can't/wont succeed in this league. His O is ready for the NBA and thrive to get better will ensure he will get better defensively. I don't think there is any other player that works as hard in the this class as Fredette.

Comment

There is a difference between the 9th pick and a 5th overall pick and I don't see why you guys are acting like Fredette doesn't have potential.

Just because the NBA is different doesn't mean the can't/wont succeed in this league. His O is ready for the NBA and thrive to get better will ensure he will get better defensively. I don't think there is any other player that works as hard in the this class as Fredette.
          The Jimmer is the first through fourth option to score on BYU. Where would a lot of these supposedly inferior freshman players be with three more college seasons? Freddette is a senior.

Comment

The Jimmer is the first through fourth option to score on BYU. Where would a lot of these supposedly inferior freshman players be with three more college seasons? Freddette is a senior.
            You're acting like Fredette's offensive skills are common. The dood his literally not range, he can attack the basket and he can pass (at least somewhat). I doubt think most of these freshmans will be as good as Fredette (at least offensively) given 3 more seasons.

Fredette being the first through forth option shows how good he really is. He single handed took a very weak team and lead them a top 5 rank. Which isn't an easy thing to do.

Why would you take "all potential" player over a polished offensive player with defensive "potential"?
            Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Mar 5, 2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

You're acting like Fredette's offensive skills are common. The dood his literally not range, he can attack the basket and he can pass. I doubt think most of these freshmans will be as good as Fredette (at least offensively) given 3 more seasons.

Fredette being the first through forth option shows how good he really is. He single handed took a very weak team and lead them a top 5 rank. Which isn't an easy thing to do.

Why would you take "all potential" player over a polished offensive player with defensive "potential"?
              It is easier to do in a weak conference. He is not playing in a powerhouse conference such as the ACC, big east, big12, or SEC.

Again we come back to the difference in the game between college and pro's. JJ Redick scored a lot in college too.

Comment

• I honestly haven't tracked Barnes very closely after he dropped early this year, but watching the UNC/Duke game today, he's definitely made a lot of strides from early in the season. Definitely someone for us Raptors fans to keep an eye on.

Comment

It is easier to do in a weak conference. He is not playing in a powerhouse conference such as the ACC, big east, big12, or SEC.

Again we come back to the difference in the game between college and pro's. JJ Redick scored a lot in college too.
                  Just because they both have/had amazing jumpshots in college doesn't mean they are the same. For starters Fredette is a true PG; he is a leader.

BTW BYU are 9-1 against ranked teams.
                  Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Mar 5, 2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Just because they both have/had amazing jumpshots in college doesn't mean they are the same. For starters Fredette is a true PG; he is a leader.

BTW BYU are 9-1 against ranked teams.
                    Obviously we have a difference of opinion- such is life.

BYU has only played two ranked teams, SDSU and Arizona. Who were the others? Here is their schedule:
                    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-young-cougars

Comment

• We need to stop arguing for and against Jimmer and draft either Irving or Barnes already.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        We need to stop arguing for and against Jimmer and draft either Irving or Barnes already.
                        Sort of my point. A mid-late 1st round pick, alright. A top 5? No thank you.

Comment

• I can think of 4 PG's I'd take over Jimmer
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            I can think of 4 PG's I'd take over Jimmer
                            Who and why?

Comment

• Irving. Franchise PG.
                              Burks. Great size, skill range. Maybe not the shooter Jimmer is but can do everything else better. Way better.
                              Knight. Underrated imo. Doesn't really get a good chance to flash his athleticism in their system.
                              Walker. Really reminds me of TJ ford. Aka the last PG to lead us to the playoffs. Underrated defender, blinding speed.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I'd take Jimmer if we still had the Mia pick, but it'd only be in hopes of him being a quality shooter off the bench. Not a full time starter.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X