Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Could Move Millsap to Small Forward

MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Milsap is too slow for the 3. Right now, Utah trading their pick from the Nets for Bargnani is a Raptors' fan wet dream. In other words, it ain't happening.
    Maybe getting the NJ pick is a wet dream but getting Jefferson might not be one. Trade for Jefferson and draft Valaciunas - two years of Al to allow Valaciunas to develop. If Bargnani and Calderon were traded, I would not mind this scenario at all as the contract would easily be handled with both gone.

Al Jefferson leads the Jazz in average scoring (19.1) and rebounds (9.6) this season. And he did not find his real rhythm until after the All-Star break, since which he ranks fifth out of all players in points (25.1), topping stars such as New York’s Carmelo Anthony, Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant and Orlando’s Dwight Howard.

While the undersized interior pair of Jefferson and starting power forward Paul Millsap has been an offensive dream, it's a defensive nightmare for the Jazz. Moreover, Utah ranks 28th out of 30 teams in rebounding (39.3).

With the recent acquisition of power forward Derick Favors, Millsap has an possible solution to Utah's front line dilemma. Move Millsap to the small forward position.

Millsap’s ballhandling has continued to improve. He consistently beats opposing defenders off the dribble. And his outside shot has developed to the point that one of the few automatics for Utah has been the sight of Millsap pulling up for and draining a smooth 18-foot jump shot.

“I think with a preseason, [a summer] to prepare for it — to know that I’m going to be in that position — I think it’d make that transition smoother,” Millsap said.

“Put Derrick [Favors] at the four,” Jefferson said. “I’m at the five — that’s a nice lineup.”
    Via Brian T. Smith/Salt Lake Tribune

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1IZCylXsb
    Jefferson thinks it would work but he might not be the five. They would have little shooting to space the floor to allow Jefferson room to operate in the low post.

Comment

• I'm starting to think Jonas Valanciunas is the best pick for the Raptors

This comment got me thinking from Bill Ingram's HoopsWorld chat got me thinking:

I'd try to unload all my 2010* draft picks unless I've projected to have a top five . . .weak draft class, no summer league, no summer training, very little training camp . . .doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1IZNa07Xp
      *EDIT: I'm pretty sure he meant 2011 draft pick

There are a lack of quality C's in the league. The only think Valanciunas seems to be missing is size and strength which will come in time. With Barnes now reportedly out of the draft, next year's is looking ridiculous. The Raps should, in my opinion, draft a guy who could be a future anchor of the team defensively along with ED. It seems like a low risk, high reward move in a weak draft class. If there is a lockout, he can continue to develop next year in Europe while the Raptors will most likely have another high draft pick. If he did not play next year he could be this season's Blake Griffin (i.e. high draft pick who sat out rookie year and made big splash two seasons later).

Jonas Valanciunas - Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius (Lithuania)

Quick stats: 7.7 points, 5.8 rebounds in 15 minutes in Euroleague, 12.8 points, 8.5 rebounds, 2.2 blocks in 21 minutes in Lithuanian championship.

One of the most promising young European talents, Valanciunas already has a significant role in his Euroelague debut season in Lietuvos Rytas. Valanciunas, who will turn 19 on May, has appeared in 14 Euroleague games, eight starts and being at young age, surprisingly proved himself as one of the most productive big men in the league.

Numbers speak for them selves: the Lithuanian center averages 7.7 points and 5.8 rebounds in only 15 minutes. That means Valanciunas scores 0.51 points (12th result in the league) and grabs 0.36 rebound (second result) per minute. Despite Valanciunas’ productiveness and consistency, head coach Aleksandr Trifunovic has limited center’s minutes as Valanciunas played 20 minutes or more only twice during this Euroleague season. The main reason of that is Valanciunas still lack of muscles and needs to improve his arsenal of offensive moves.

What is more important, Valanciunas shoots an incredible 70 percent from short distance and 92 percent from the free throw line in Euroleague. It seems that Valanciunas has everything what it takes to be a great NBA center - talent, body, experience and relentless work ethic.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article...#ixzz1IZMzPJSQ
      He will definitely not be a Fran Vasquez:

Jonas Valanciunas has had a great season and drawn the attention of many scouts, who have been swarming in Vilnius like bees. The player’s agent Sarunas Broga is not pushing his player into the NBA, saying that it’s Valanciunas’ decision over when he wants to make a move to the NBA, but admits that participating in this year’s draft is rather favorable for the Lithuanian prospect because of the looming lockout.

“I’m very positive about Jonas’ chances in the NBA draft. It’s too early to talk about any predictions, but if he could expect to be a lottery pick if we decided to enter the draft this year,” the agent told LKL.lt. “Most NBA teams are interested in the player, but their level of interest is not the same and depends on how of a pick they might have when it’s time to draft and the individual team’s needs.”

Broga admits that the possible lockout has improved Valanciunas’ chances in the draft and if a new CBA is not approved in time that would mean the player would stay in Europe for another season. According to the agent, Valanciunas himself will make the decision when to enter the NBA when the time comes.

“The fear of a lockout has already made a big impact, as many Americans decided not to take any chances by staying in college for another year. This has lessened the competition for players outside the USA. This particular draft is good for Jonas because of the lack of big men in general. Also, because Jonas is younger than many of his rivals and has more time and space to improve. A lockout would mean Jonas could spend an extra year in Europe and come to the NBA much stronger physically and with more experience,” said Broga.

The agent is clear that NBA is something Valanciunas’ has always dreamed about and it’s a goal for him at this moment.

“Just like there is no soldier, who doesn’t want to become a general, there isn’t a player, who doesn’t want to play in the NBA,” the agent said.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Maybe getting the NJ pick is a wet dream but getting Jefferson might not be one. Trade for Jefferson and draft Valaciunas - two years of Al to allow Valaciunas to develop. If Bargnani and Calderon were traded, I would not mind this scenario at all as the contract would easily be handled with both gone.

Jefferson thinks it would work but he might not be the five. They would have little shooting to space the floor to allow Jefferson room to operate in the low post.
        We'd have to give up some assets for Jefferson, but I don't think the Jazz would want Bargnani if they're giving up Jefferson. Granted Jefferson's salary is bigger, but his production is better. And to be honest, I don't know if I want to pay the kid 30 mil for the next 2 seasons.

Comment

• Yeah he'd be a decent pick if Irving is gone. I'd certainly take him over Kanter or Perry with a top 5 pick. Being able to develop in europe if theres a lockout only helps his stock.

Same deal with Jan Vessley who no one is really talking about. A couple things I've read about him are hes basically Perry Jones with a high motor or AK47 with offense. Think about that.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This comment got me thinking from Bill Ingram's HoopsWorld chat got me thinking:

*EDIT: I'm pretty sure he meant 2011 draft pick

There are a lack of quality C's in the league. The only think Valanciunas seems to be missing is size and strength which will come in time. With Barnes now reportedly out of the draft, next year's is looking ridiculous. The Raps should, in my opinion, draft a guy who could be a future anchor of the team defensively along with ED. It seems like a low risk, high reward move in a weak draft class. If there is a lockout, he can continue to develop next year in Europe while the Raptors will most likely have another high draft pick. If he did not play next year he could be this season's Blake Griffin (i.e. high draft pick who sat out rookie year and made big splash two seasons later).

He will definitely not be a Fran Vasquez:
            I love that Valanciunas grabs 6 boards in 15 minutes in Euroleague play - where the competition is much stiffer than NCAA. Extrapolate that over per-36 and the numbers are just loopy. I'm lovin this kid with each passing day. He's gonna be a monster. And if you think he's gonna be Dwight-esque, if teams try to hack him, he'll make you pay by sinking his free-throws (92%!).

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              We'd have to give up some assets for Jefferson, but I don't think the Jazz would want Bargnani if they're giving up Jefferson. Granted Jefferson's salary is bigger, but his production is better. And to be honest, I don't know if I want to pay the kid 30 mil for the next 2 seasons.
              Granted this is all based on the idea of playing Millsap at the 3 but a swap of Bargnani for Jefferson spreads the floor for Millsap against smaller 3's and Favors at the SF and PF position. If a team counters with a smaller player on Bargnani to the post he goes. It is essentially what Bargnani needs to be successful here but the pieces are already in place in Utah. Bargnani replaces Jefferson's point production, spreads the floor while the rebounding difference is made up with Millsap and Favors (he is going to be a beast).

The other consideration is it saves Utah luxury tax this year and lowers their salary cap number for the next 2 seasons as well by about 5M per season.

If that three team deal was possible, I'd much rather have Jefferson/Flynn than Bargnani/Calderon given where the franchise is right now. Put Valanciunas as the back up C for the remaining two years on Jefferson's contract and we have a 21 year old starting C in 2 years.

Wet dreams maybe but at least I wake up with a smile on my face!

Comment

Granted this is all based on the idea of playing Millsap at the 3 but a swap of Bargnani for Jefferson spreads the floor for Millsap against smaller 3's and Favors at the SF and PF position. If a team counters with a smaller player on Bargnani to the post he goes. It is essentially what Bargnani needs to be successful here but the pieces are already in place in Utah. Bargnani replaces Jefferson's point production, spreads the floor while the rebounding difference is made up with Millsap and Favors (he is going to be a beast).

The other consideration is it saves Utah luxury tax this year and lowers their salary cap number for the next 2 seasons as well by about 5M per season.

If that three team deal was possible, I'd much rather have Jefferson/Flynn than Bargnani/Calderon given where the franchise is right now. Put Valanciunas as the back up C for the remaining two years on Jefferson's contract and we have a 21 year old starting C in 2 years.

Wet dreams maybe but at least I wake up with a smile on my face!
                If we could get Jefferson by wasting Bargnani, then I'm all for it. However, when Jefferson is up, does he get re-upped? What then happens to Davis in the meantime?

Comment

• I don't think we want to be doing that Kahn type of move here by taking that Jonas kid and keeping him In Europe I believe he is looked at as the worst gm in the league.
                  Last edited by grindhouse; Mon Apr 4, 2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• mehmet okur's career might be over, so Bargnani could maybe used as a stretch four ro Utah (but 'dreas defense is considerably worse).

Also, we can, as expected, take Harrison Barnes off the draft list. Since, he's expected to announce his return to the Tar Heels, along with henson and Zeller.

I'm leaning more and more towards choosing Enes Kanter over Kyrie Irving. If the Bogut, or Tyson Chandler, comparisons are even a little true, he'd be exactly what this team needs.
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      If we could get Jefferson by wasting Bargnani, then I'm all for it. However, when Jefferson is up, does he get re-upped? What then happens to Davis in the meantime?
                      When Jefferson expires, it would be a decision to be made then. Basically he could play 2 years as the starting C for the Raps with Valanciunas backing him up. At the end of 2 years, Valanciunas would only be 20 and may not be ready to start then either - not because of skill but because of size.

As for ED, nothing would happen. Al Jefferson would start with ED; Amir and Valanciunas round out the 4 man rotation.

BTW, as I'm sure many know, I'm totally talking out of my @ss.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                        I don't think we want to be doing that Kahn type of move here by taking that Jonas kid and keeping him In Europe I believe he is looked at as the worst gm in the league.
                        Re-read the attached articles. Valanciunas has every intention of coming over. The talk of him staying in Europe next season is only if there is a pro-longed lockout.

Comment

• Comment

• well jennings criticized bucks management so i just thought of a trade jennings + 9th pick for bustani and 1 year supply of primo pasta.

Comment

• Kemba Walker

This kid is having quite the tournament, and his draft stock is definitely on the rise.

As it stands today, the Raptors are likely to pick after Cleveland, Minnesota, and Washington. Cleveland will likely take Kyrie Irving, and Minnesota and Washington will undoubtedly NOT take a PG as both teams are more than covered at that position. This leaves the very likely possibility that Walker will be available at the 4th pick and I would not be at all surprised to see the Raptors take him. With the talent and leadership that he's showing I'm starting to hope that this happens.

I'll definitely be watching tonight's tournament final to see how he steps up.

Comment

• Welcome to the Republic Optifan.
                                Your thread got moved here as this is the place for all Draft talk.

Onto Kemba..
                                I'm down with drafting him. He'll more then likely be availble at the 10-15 range due to his height.

Comment

Working...
                                X