2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dballa21 wrote: View Post
    We should draft Jan Vesley. He is basically a better version of Perry Jones. If we can draft him and flip Bargnani for Kanter or Valanciunas our rebuild would be completed.
    I have read a fair bit of this type of talk on the board recently and it worries me. The rebuild is (most likely) going to take longer then this summer to complete. Even if we were somehow able to add both Irving and Barnes (still undecided) that would still leave us with a young roster that will take time to develop.

Not to mention a need still for a center.

OKC took several years to do their rebuild, and that was after being able to draft both Durant and Green in 2007.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
      I have read a fair bit of this type of talk on the board recently and it worries me. The rebuild is (most likely) going to take longer then this summer to complete. Even if we were somehow able to add both Irving and Barnes (still undecided) that would still leave us with a young roster that will take time to develop.

Not to mention a need still for a center.

OKC took several years to do their rebuild, and that was after being able to draft both Durant and Green in 2007.
      playoffs in 2005
      35 wins in 2005/2006 (goodbye Rashard Lewis for 2nd round pick and TPE, drafted Johan Petro)
      31 wins in 2006/2007 (goodbye Ray Allen, drafted Mouhamed Sene)
      20 wins in 2007/2008 (drafted Green and Durant)
      23 wins in 2008/2009 (with Green and Durant and drafted Westbrook)
      50 wins in 2009/2010 PLAYOFFS (with Green and Durant and Westbrook and drafted Harden and Ibaka)

If anyone thinks next year is going to be playoff bound for TOR, disappointment awaits.

The best thing that could happen for the long term health of the franchise, assuming draft picks do not become busts, is another high first round pick next year. TOR may even be ahead of the game in comparison to SEA/OKC because they wasted their low lottery picks on Petro and Sene whereas the Raps actually drafted decent players in ED and DD. Hopefully TOR can draft two players with franchise potential as well.

playoffs in 2008
      33 wins in 2008/2009 (drafted DeMar)
      40 wins in 2009/2010 (goodbye Bosh, Turkoglu; drafted ED)
      2? wins in 2010/2011 (drafted ???)
      ?? wins in 2011/2012 (high lottery pick?)
      ?? wins in 2012/2013 ???PLAYOFFS???

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        playoffs in 2005
        35 wins in 2005/2006 (goodbye Rashard Lewis for 2nd round pick and TPE, drafted Johan Petro)
        31 wins in 2006/2007 (goodbye Ray Allen, drafted Mouhamed Sene)
        20 wins in 2007/2008 (drafted Green and Durant)
        23 wins in 2008/2009 (with Green and Durant and drafted Westbrook)
        50 wins in 2009/2010 PLAYOFFS (with Green and Durant and Westbrook and drafted Harden and Ibaka)

If anyone thinks next year is going to be playoff bound for TOR, disappointment awaits.

The best thing that could happen for the long term health of the franchise, assuming draft picks do not become busts, is another high first round pick next year. TOR may even be ahead of the game in comparison to SEA/OKC because they wasted their low lottery picks on Petro and Sene whereas the Raps actually drafted decent players in ED and DD. Hopefully TOR can draft two players with franchise potential as well.

playoffs in 2008
        33 wins in 2008/2009 (drafted DeMar)
        40 wins in 2009/2010 (goodbye Bosh, Turkoglu; drafted ED)
        2? wins in 2010/2011 (drafted ???)
        ?? wins in 2011/2012 (high lottery pick?)
        ?? wins in 2012/2013 ???PLAYOFFS???
        Reasononable outlook.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          playoffs in 2005
          I never said we would make the playoffs or even be competitive. I meant we would have enough young talent and potential to have a good team moving forward.

Comment

I never said we would make the playoffs or even be competitive. I meant we would have enough young talent and potential to have a good team moving forward.
            That's fair. I guess you and I are just using the word 'rebuild' differently. I have been using 'rebuild' in terms of getting the team to a place where they can be consistently competitive.

I would say that OKC finished their rebuild this year with the acquisition of Perkins (interior D helps so much). Meaning that their full rebuild took 4 years.

I am hopeful that our rebuild will not take 4 years, but reality is that we could be seeing the lottery for a few more years after this. We have weaknesses at PG, SF, and C, without a lot of resources to fill those spots via a trade. If we fill one of those positions this draft with someone who can be a strong contributor in the league (Irving, Barnes, Kanter, etc.) Then that will certainly continue us in the right direction. And hopefully we can fill another one next year as well (Kabongo, Barnes (if he does not declare this year), Gilchrist, etc.).

Personally I am hoping for a playoff spot (most likely a low one) in two years, 2013. If we can show that improvement during that time and still be functioning under the same plan (ie. let's not go out and try a quick fix) then we are in good shape. Calderon also comes off the books that summer, if he is not traded earlier, giving us money to play with in free agency as well to solidify other positions and the bench.
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

The comment was an addition to the bolded section of the post from Shantz and was meant in general. There was no intent of singling you out.

Comment

• what would you guys do if BC drafted this guy?
                http://www.nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas

Comment

• jan vessley has Nickoloz Tskitishvili written all over him.

Comment

• raptorsking wrote: View Post
                    jan vessley has Nickoloz Tskitishvili written all over him.
                    Why?

Comment

• Barnes is NBA ready. Walker is close. Irving is close as well.

Barnes would immediately mix with our core. Two years and we get by the first round. Don't worry about positions, they'll sort themselves out. Get the talent.

Any of the Euros and we're years away from the playoffs, end of story. Draft in this order of priority.

1. Barnes
                      2. Irving
                      3. Walker
                      4. Perry Jones

Comment

• Pele wrote: View Post
                        Barnes is NBA ready. Walker is close. Irving is close as well.

Barnes would immediately mix with our core. Two years and we get by the first round. Don't worry about positions, they'll sort themselves out. Get the talent.

Any of the Euros and we're years away from the playoffs, end of story. Draft in this order of priority.

1. Barnes
                        2. Irving
                        3. Walker
                        4. Perry Jones
                        man barnes is all we need james johnson is not starters material

Comment

• and we will would have two north Carolina alumni's !!
                          Last edited by raptorsking; Sat Apr 9, 2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Pele wrote: View Post
                            Barnes is NBA ready. Walker is close. Irving is close as well.

1. Barnes
                            2. Irving
                            3. Walker
                            4. Perry Jones
                            You have walker over derrick williams ?

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                              You have walker over derrick williams ?

Comment

• My list would be

1- Irving
                                2- Derrick Williams