Lighten-up Guys. Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighten-up Guys. Please?

I would just like to say, that I have noticed ALOT of negativity around the Forum lately.

I know this is a good place to vent frustrations, but its starting to affect the atmosphere of the Forum.

It's starting to bring me down guys.
    We're all friends here... For the most part. We all have one Common Goal. Though we may disagree on how to get there, I think we could all use to be a little nicer to our fellow Fan.

I think we can critique the team in a way that isn't so ... vulgar and hate filled. It's still a game, and though I for one am VERY passionate about this game, some of the remarks that are coming out from people around here about our own players are ridiculous.

That is all. Happy Saturday Everyone!!

This thread will get trolled so badly, you might as well just delete it.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

No trolls here

e2thed wrote: View Post
      This thread will get trolled so badly, you might as well just delete it.
      I agree with Joey and I just have the video for this thread. Let's watch it together and all should be well.

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

One of the things I liked upon finding this place was the fact that is was so civil. And it maintains that most of the time. But lately, it seems that the losing is effecting us to. This has been one of the best sites period for talking about the Raptors. And I expect it will continue to be just that. Expecting people to disagree while maintaining civility should not be a surprise, but on the internet it is often the exception.

Let's keep the high standards that have been set on this Board.
        “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Joey, bad times bring out negative comments. Good times bring out positive comments. You can't change how people feel. If you see a thread you feel is going to be negative it would be easier just not to enter if you don't want it to bring you down because asking people not to express their views isn't going to work. Fans have a right to feel let down and the beauty of this place is that it's an outlet for all fans to express their views. Most people here aren't using hate in their posts. I see lots of constructed, well educated criticism being written here each and every day. This forum wasn't around when Colangelo hit the scene back in 2006 and I frequented other boards at the time. I remember quite clearly the majority of positive topics and comments at the time. It was because there were many more positive things happening than bad. If anything back then people's biggest complaint was that the team wasn't getting the respect it deserved in the major media outlets. They won the division that year, Bosh was an all-star starter, they had the hottest PG duo in the league, Colangelo was executive of the year and Sam Mitchell was coach of the year. This season they're on pace to be the 3rd or 4th worst team in the league, they have no star, they don't know who will be running the team, they don't know who will own the team and their coach is mediocre at best. You're not going to get sugar out of horse crap. That's not to say I think the whole team is horse crap but outside some of the young guys the team is flat out horrible. There is a lack of leadership, a lack of talent and sometimes desire. What else can I say but wait for times to get better and you'll see this board change it's view. The sheer fact that it gets so much activity should tell you that the fans don't want to beat down the team, they're hungry for a good product. Prime example of this was just before the season started. If you came in here then you would see more positive threads than negative threads. People were propping up this lotto team into something it was not because they wanted so bad for this team to do well. The reality of that not coming to fruition no doubt is extremely disappointing. For those of us who seen it coming, it sucks just as much, it's just not as shocking. Either way, if the majority of all things Raptors is negative then the majority of the posts will be negative.

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
          One of the things I liked upon finding this place was the fact that is was so civil. And it maintains that most of the time. But lately, it seems that the losing is effecting us to. This has been one of the best sites period for talking about the Raptors. And I expect it will continue to be just that. Expecting people to disagree while maintaining civility should not be a surprise, but on the internet it is often the exception.

This place has some of the best posters I have come across. The moderators do a good job in my opinion of keeping things in check. It's nice to know that this isn't just my view. I think by the time next season rolls around you'll see a far different tone on the board than now. The on court results have hit rock bottom. Next season they will begin to rise again. Things will be more hopeful and positivity will begin to take over again.

Comment

Expecting people to disagree while maintaining civility
            This is exactly to what I am speaking. Thank you.

I am all for a good, thought out debate. And there is alot of that going on.
            But there is also ALOT of vitriol being slung about that is truly unnesessary.
            That is all Apollo. I never once asked people not to express their views.
            I clearly state..
            I think we can critique the team in a way that isn't so ... vulgar and hate filled.
            I just want everyone to get along is all.

Comment

I can't be everywhere at once and neither can the moderators. We do our best to squash those kinds of things. It is also the responsibility of the posters on here to do their part and let us know when they see something in violation of the rules. We all need to work together to keep this place great. Most people don't speak up, they just let it play out when someone is out of line or worse yet they lower themselves, strike back in a similar fashion and essentially pour gas on the fire.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I can't be everywhere at once and neither can the moderators. We do our best to squash those kinds of things. It is also the responsibility of the posters on here to do their part and let us know when they see something in violation of the rules. We all need to work together to keep this place great. Most people don't speak up, they just let it play out when someone is out of line or worse yet they lower themselves, strike back in a similar fashion and essentially pour gas on the fire.
                I apologize, I wasn't in any way criticizing the work of the Moderators Apollo.
                I understand that you guys do ALOT to keept his place going. Hence why I was taking it upon myself to ask of people to make it easier on you guys and just be nicer.

Comment

No need to apologize, I didn't think your were criticizing the moderators. I was just trying to express the idea of posters letting the mods know with something is taking place that isn't right. There is a small triangular icon at the bottom of posts to make it easy to report something that's wrong. People can always be nicer, I totally get what you're saying. My whole thing is that I feel the mood here goes with the health of the team. If the team were doing good there would be less criticism and less bickering. We all want the same thing in the end and when we're getting that there will be less chance for heated debates.

And this stuff goes on in other fan boards. If you were to go take a look at a Lakers fan board before the all-star break you would have seen similar conflicts and we're talking about a team that was seeded in the playoffs still at the time.

Comment

It seems to go in cycles. I remember last summer things weren't good, around Christmas they were bad, and now happy, er, unhappy times are here again. I'm sure once the season is over and there is some stability in the franchise people will settle.

What I mean by stability is we know who the GM is, who the coach is or will not be, where the draft pick will be, who is declaring.

There is so much unknown right now it turns in to opinions and the problem with opinions is there really is no right or wrong answer. IF you truly believe the sky is purple with yellow polka dots and green lime clouds, then no amount of discussion will prove different.

This is where I picture Heinz asking to pass the bag of 'shrooms.

Comment

viva bustani !

sorry couldn't help myself im done now

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        I would just like to say, that I have noticed ALOT of negativity around the Forum lately.

I know this is a good place to vent frustrations, but its starting to affect the atmosphere of the Forum.

It's starting to bring me down guys.
                        We're all friends here... For the most part. We all have one Common Goal. Though we may disagree on how to get there, I think we could all use to be a little nicer to our fellow Fan.

I think we can critique the team in a way that isn't so ... vulgar and hate filled. It's still a game, and though I for one am VERY passionate about this game, some of the remarks that are coming out from people around here about our own players are ridiculous.

That is all. Happy Saturday Everyone!!
                        All of this negativity has been coming from raptors4life bashing on literally everything anyone says.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                          All of this negativity has been coming from raptors4life bashing on literally everything anyone says.
                          So why let it drag you down? It is only his opinion which we are all entitled to.

Personally, I've noticed when you back up claims with logical answers and facts, he disappears and the thread goes dormant.

Keep the discussion basketball related, without personal attacks, and there is very little else to discuss once both sides give their opinions. In other words, once a topic has been beaten to death and there is still no agreement, it is alright to agree to disagree.

I do not mean to preach - just trying to keep it all rational. All I need now is for Tim to tell me to shut the *#&! up and we'll be all set.

Comment

If everything was peachy and happy message boards in general wouldn't be fun. While I agree with you the things can be a little nauseating with all the negativity as of late, pissy and sour comments/members are typically what keep forums active. JMO

Comment

This is true. Interesting perspective Doc. Perhaps I'm asking a Bear not to maul.

Comment

Working...
                              X